Lakers/OKC/Portland (Westbrook)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,363

Re: Lakers/OKC/Portland (Westbrook) 

Post#41 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:24 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
psman2 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Yuck. I wouldn't touch that as a gm. And significantly handicaps flexibility for next year.

Also is CJ really dump worth at this pt? I know Portland wants to switch it up, but feels like they could get something

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app

Would you rather trade him for a guy like Harris (I would, but understand why others don't) or have a TPE to address other positions for a year and open up a spot for Simons.

CJ for positive trade value is going to be a tough find.

Id rather just keep CJ. I assume this deal is there this summer if I feel I need the cap space.

The thing about expiring contracts is they expire in the summer and a guy like Favors won't be able to be included to make salaries match because he'll no longer be under contract. Also, the trade off after that contract has expired isn't always dollar for dollar. Something like 20 teams are close to tax line. So some of that excess salary on expiring deals isn't going to be available to teams way over the cap.

Now there are other moves you can make, but potential trade partners will be reluctant to make that deal ahead of F.A.. They'll wait until they've gone shopping first, and if they don't find anything they like, then they'll make the trade. The value added here comes from CJ helping another team now, this season. It works for Portland now because they've written of this season. It's a very different calculus shopping for cap space in the summer which is why Morey is reportedly trying to get out ahead of it now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#42 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:50 am

Sign the lakers up . Pretty good deal . Give Westbrook his home coming :)
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#43 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:50 am

If the thunder don’t want compete next year why not ? Westbrook still loved in okc isn’t he ?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,868

Post#44 » by psman2 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:58 am

Ballerhogger wrote:If the thunder don’t want compete next year why not ? Westbrook still loved in okc isn’t he ?

Because the cap space OKC is using here this year and next is likely worth north of 3 1sts. Now likely none of the picks that OKC could get in return from other cap dumps trades will be unprotected but still the value here is short. So swaps could alleviate some of this value gap.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#45 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:08 am

jbk1234 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Would you rather trade him for a guy like Harris (I would, but understand why others don't) or have a TPE to address other positions for a year and open up a spot for Simons.

CJ for positive trade value is going to be a tough find.

Id rather just keep CJ. I assume this deal is there this summer if I feel I need the cap space.

The thing about expiring contracts is they expire in the summer and a guy like Favors won't be able to be included to make salaries match because he'll no longer be under contract. Also, the trade off after that contract has expired isn't always dollar for dollar. Something like 20 teams are close to tax line. So some of that excess salary on expiring deals isn't going to be available to teams way over the cap.

Now there are other moves you can make, but potential trade partners will be reluctant to make that deal ahead of F.A.. They'll wait until they've gone shopping first, and if they don't find anything they like, then they'll make the trade. The value added here comes from CJ helping another team now, this season. It works for Portland now because they've written of this season. It's a very different calculus shopping for cap space in the summer which is why Morey is reportedly trying to get out ahead of it now.

Favors has a player option.

I'm fairly certain that if the Thunder were interested in this deal, they would prefer paying Westbrook 45 million to go home, rather than 65-70.

Nobody is coming to save the Lakers and take Westbrook. So not a single bit worried they find a better/different deal.

So once again, your point may be fair for most deals. I fully believe if (BIG IF because I don't think they do) OKC would sign up, they would still sign up this summer. So my point still stands.

But again if all else fails. Id rather just keep CJ than make this trade today as Portland.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,466

Post#46 » by Slava » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 am

I don't see the difference between Westbrook and CJ, if there even is any as most in this thread suggest. It solves precious few of the Lakers' issues on offense but CJ is another poor defender, never been a pure PG, owed $14 mil more in guaranteed money over an additional season on the Lakers' cap and less reliable health-wise as compared to Westbrook, who is almost always available. Logically speaking, Lakers shouldn't have to add any incentive here.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,577

Post#47 » by Devilanche » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
OKC recoup value for players. That's not equating their true value, you are missing the entire point of Presti's schemes. Horford was a great player with a season to go on contract before being partially non-guaranteed.

Maybe OKC do a first swap. They take the LAL27FRP and give the PHX22FRP. Splits up the FRPs for OKC a bit better and isn't overpaying on Lakers end based on past history.

Or maybe some value goes to POR and they give Lakers Powell+Covington+Nurkic or some combination instead of CJ

I don’t think you understand what Presti is doing if you are suggesting a pick swap on OKC end.
When Horford was being moved nobody see him as a great player anymore, more like useful player overpaid a fair bit . And his partial guarantee was so large that no non tanking team is paying him to go away.

Horford was definitely seen as neutral value and OKC gave their own SRP which is only a few spots different from the PHX FRP

Pretty sure he was negative value.

In any case it was same year 16 for same year 30s pick.

This is for more cap hit difference ( from kemba to Horford vs from Westbrook to favors) … so if you want make it 2027 first then it’s same year OKC second but the contention still stands , I think pretty much all the OKC fans believe this is too light an offer.

Note: I see favors as negative value as well. Just that he’s being traded for a bigger negative.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,481

Post#48 » by JRoy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:03 pm

Slava wrote:I don't see the difference between Westbrook and CJ, if there even is any as most in this thread suggest. It solves precious few of the Lakers' issues on offense but CJ is another poor defender, never been a pure PG, owed $14 mil more in guaranteed money over an additional season on the Lakers' cap and less reliable health-wise as compared to Westbrook, who is almost always available. Logically speaking, Lakers shouldn't have to add any incentive here.

CJ can actually shoot.

Westbrook can shoot too, they just don’t go in.

POR won’t bail out LAL.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,466

Post#49 » by Slava » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:08 pm

JRoy wrote:
Slava wrote:I don't see the difference between Westbrook and CJ, if there even is any as most in this thread suggest. It solves precious few of the Lakers' issues on offense but CJ is another poor defender, never been a pure PG, owed $14 mil more in guaranteed money over an additional season on the Lakers' cap and less reliable health-wise as compared to Westbrook, who is almost always available. Logically speaking, Lakers shouldn't have to add any incentive here.

CJ can actually shoot.

Westbrook can shoot too, they just don’t go in.

POR won’t bail out LAL.

Westbrook is a has been.

CJ is a never been.

Portland is dumping $68M worth of future salary for nothing. They are bailing themselves out here.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,027

Post#50 » by R-DAWG » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:34 pm

Devilanche wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Okc will pass. There’s just so much dead cap if we waive Westbrook in addition to kemba already dead cap . And all this from a team that has always been able to attract free agent. Not that attractive a future first. If it was 2 first from another team plus something small then it’s different

I mean you could always do a farewell tour season for Wess. It wouldn't have to be dead cap. But I understand the concern and the pick is pretty expensive.

A farewell tour will just take away touches from everyone we want develop.

We are better off taking MLE contracts from teams that want capspace or trying reduce their luxury tax commitment before they use their MLE . If there isn’t any at offseason or trade deadline just use them for whatever seconds we can get.

Note : assumption is that Lakers pick will be in the 20s. The upside is that the pick will be between 12-20 which doesn’t really seems interesting for something that far in the future for this much of salary to take on.

Am I the only one who thinks that Lakers pick has a chance to be super valuable? I mean 2027 will be Lebron's age 42 season, and Davis will be in his age 33 season - assuming he re-signs. Outside of Lebron deciding to sign there is 2018, and overpaying for Davis with the help of Lebron/Clutch in 2019, I think almost every major decision the Lakers organization has made for the past 12 years has been the wrong one. Furthermore, if they trade their 2027 pick they are going to have limitations on repositioning the roster for another 5 years (which if it gives you a better chance to win another championship with Lebron you do it). So, personally, I can see that pick being a lotto pick - assuming Lebron has 2 more years at a high level after this one, LA will start a rebuild, down assets, after the 2024 season.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,589

Post#51 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:13 pm

POR is dumping a non-allstar on a max deal owed 100 millions for nothing? They should send value to OKC also.
And Lakers should protect the pick, their future is bleak as it is.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,589

Post#52 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:27 pm

Before this season, I would've said 50 millions is an insane price for 2 lightly protected 1st rd picks, but given what OKC paid for BOS mid 1st, what Detroit paid for 4 crappy 2nd in DAJ deal, I think it's possible.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#53 » by Laimbeer » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:33 pm

I think both Portland and the Lakers should be giving OKC more - though the Lakers don't have it. That's a lot of salary for a distant first.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,027

Post#54 » by R-DAWG » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:33 pm

I know there is a lot of dislike between the Blazers fans and the Lakers, but it really feels like there is something lining up either now or in the offseason with these 2 teams based on the Westbrook expiring and CJ McCollum - who has an extra year and a very limited market.

Return to Trades and Transactions