Lakers/OKC/Portland (Westbrook)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Lakers/OKC/Portland (Westbrook) 

Post#21 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 pm

That's a pretty expensive pick for okc to pay.

35+ million dollars for an LA pick 5 years out?

At some pt they are going to want to assemble a team.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:52 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:That's a pretty expensive pick for okc to pay.

At this point, it’d be close to $50m in additional cash payments that OKC is taking on.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#23 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

At this point, it’d be close to $50m in additional cash payments that OKC is taking on.
Yuck. I wouldn't touch that as a gm. And significantly handicaps flexibility for next year.

Also is CJ really dump worth at this pt? I know Portland wants to switch it up, but feels like they could get something

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#24 » by nzahir » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:11 pm

I think this deal is likely too good for us, but I would jump on it right away

Also throw in 3-4 2nds

CJ would be a supercharged version of Monk for us

CJ, Reaves, Lebron, Ariza/Johnson, AD
Nunn, Monk, THT, Melo, Dwight
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,819

Post#25 » by psman2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:12 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yuck. I wouldn't touch that as a gm. And significantly handicaps flexibility for next year.

Also is CJ really dump worth at this pt? I know Portland wants to switch it up, but feels like they could get something

Would you rather trade him for a guy like Harris (I would, but understand why others don't) or have a TPE to address other positions for a year and open up a spot for Simons.

CJ for positive trade value is going to be a tough find.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#26 » by Soulyss » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I personally think every team in this deal should do this.

I don't think Portland would consider Trading CJ for a TPE, Dame seem CJ shipped out for nothing and he demands a trade.

This is an easy pass, Portland will need a starter back for CJ... I think in the end Portland gets pulled into whatever deal Simmons is a part of and absorbs Harris and as asset (or two) for CJ.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#27 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:38 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Lakers out: Westbrook & 2027 1st
Lakers in: CJ & Favors

Portland out: CJ
Porltan in: Muscala and a $28M TPE

OKC out: Favors and Muscala
OKC in: Westbrook & 2027 1st

Why for the Lakers - CJ provides the spacing and secondary ball handling they need around LBJ and AD before the window closes.

Why for Portland - the TPE, get off of CJ's deal

Why for OKC: They give Westbrook the Horford treatment after the deadline, buy him out this summer, and pocket an unprotected pick.

I had something similar with OKC but people hated it. And Portland fans seem to suggest that Portland would never trade with lakers.

I personally think Presti would consider recouping value from Westbrook. I don't think it takes an FRP though as Presti took pick 16 for Kemba who was a 60m buyout and they gave Horford to Celtics who is a top 3 player on Cetlics (Favors/Muscala won't be that). Westbrook wouldn't be a buyout, he'd be an attractive asset by deadline next year for a team looking to clear a ton of salary in the offseason. That lines up well for Presti as OKC have a ton of picks. Westbrook+picks for a star is the trade I envisage for OKC in the year after a trade for Westbrook.

It would definitely take a first round pick.

If Lakers could add THT+SRPs and get Covington then this deal would get done. I just can't see them moving Westbrook and an FRP for CJ with how he's played. He's been as bad as Westbrook this season, has never been as good as Westbrook and is owed more money.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,382

Post#28 » by JRoy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 pm

nzahir wrote:I think this deal is likely too good for us, but I would jump on it right away

Also throw in 3-4 2nds

CJ would be a supercharged version of Monk for us

CJ, Reaves, Lebron, Ariza/Johnson, AD
Nunn, Monk, THT, Melo, Dwight

That’s still going to be an easy No for POR.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:50 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
I had something similar with OKC but people hated it. And Portland fans seem to suggest that Portland would never trade with lakers.

I personally think Presti would consider recouping value from Westbrook. I don't think it takes an FRP though as Presti took pick 16 for Kemba who was a 60m buyout and they gave Horford to Celtics who is a top 3 player on Cetlics (Favors/Muscala won't be that). Westbrook wouldn't be a buyout, he'd be an attractive asset by deadline next year for a team looking to clear a ton of salary in the offseason. That lines up well for Presti as OKC have a ton of picks. Westbrook+picks for a star is the trade I envisage for OKC in the year after a trade for Westbrook.

If Lakers could add THT+SRPs and get Covington then this deal would get done. I just can't see them moving Westbrook and an FRP for CJ with how he's played. He's been as bad as Westbrook this season, has never been as good as Westbrook and is owed more money.

This is cope. THT has pretty neutral trade value on his current deal. No one is taking Westbrook without that first attached. Frankly, it might even be a little light for the salary involved from OKC's end, but it's all the Lakers really have to incentivize another team to do it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

This is cope. THT has pretty neutral trade value on his current deal. No one is taking Westbrook without that first attached. Frankly, it might even be a little light for the salary involved from OKC's end, but it's all the Lakers really have to incentivize another team to do it.

What is cope? What does that mean?

OKC moved Horford and their SRP for Kemba and pick 16. Kemba was an instant buyout, no recouping of money and it cost 53m.
This trade is suggesting that CJ+Favors is a better asset than Horford or Westbrook is a worse asset than Kemba.
I don't see either to be true.

Regardless though, it just isn't something the lakers would do for this return. How would CJ and Monk work defensively? How would they improve the rebounding issues?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 am

Soulyss wrote:

I don't think Portland would consider Trading CJ for a TPE, Dame seem CJ shipped out for nothing and he demands a trade.

This is an easy pass, Portland will need a starter back for CJ... I think in the end Portland gets pulled into whatever deal Simmons is a part of and absorbs Harris and as asset (or two) for CJ.

Portland can pass if it wants, but it shouldn't be an easy pass. Whether it's a feint, or not, reports are that the Sixers are looking to dump a good chunk of Harris' future money as part of a Simmons trade, and they're having a hard time finding a partner - while including Ben Simmons. The market for older guys on these deals is not nearly as robust as fans think it is. There just aren't that many GMs willing to take the risk.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:03 am

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

OKC moved Horford and their SRP for Kemba and pick 16. Kemba was an instant buyout, no recouping of money and it cost 53m.
This trade is suggesting that CJ+Favors is a better asset than Horford or Westbrook is a worse asset than Kemba.

Regardless though, it just isn't something the lakers would do for this return. How would CJ and Monk work defensively? How would they improve the rebounding issues?

OKC got a first for eating Horford a year before that trade. Then they got a first for dealing Hoford for Kemba which suggests the true cost of dumping Kemba's deal was more than a single first. Also, Westbrook's contract is considerably larger than Kemba's. No one is touching it without that first.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 am

jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

OKC got a first for eating Horford a year before that trade. Then they got a first for dealing Hoford for Kemba which suggests the true cost of dumping Kemba's deal was more than a single first. Also, Westbrook's contract is considerably larger than Kemba's. No one is touching it without that first.

OKC recoup value for players. That's not equating their true value, you are missing the entire point of Presti's schemes. Horford was a great player with a season to go on contract before being partially non-guaranteed.

Maybe OKC do a first swap. They take the LAL27FRP and give the PHX22FRP. Splits up the FRPs for OKC a bit better and isn't overpaying on Lakers end based on past history.

Or maybe some value goes to POR and they give Lakers Powell+Covington+Nurkic or some combination instead of CJ
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,887

Post#34 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 am

CJ isn’t a dump. I don’t have any illusions he is worth much, but I don’t believe he is worth this little either.

OKC is paying bank for a pick so far off, but if it’s unprotected I would do it. I think La is going to be in a rough spot for a while once Bron is out (If not already)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:31 am

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

OKC recoup value for players. That's not equating their true value, you are missing the entire point of Presti's schemes. Horford was a great player with a season to go on contract before being partially non-guaranteed.

Maybe OKC do a first swap. They take the LAL27FRP and give the PHX22FRP. Splits up the FRPs for OKC a bit better and isn't overpaying on Lakers end based on past history.

Or maybe some value goes to POR and they give Lakers Powell+Covington+Nurkic or some combination instead of CJ

I'm not missing anything, I'm extraordinarily skeptical of the assertion that Horford's trade value rebounded by a meaningful amount. I don't think it was positive or even neutral when he was traded to the Celtics, I don't think it's positive or even neutral now. Presti got lucky with a team that really needed to get off a player due to chemistry/fit issues and who hoped Horford could help on the front due to his prior time with the team. If the Celtics didn't come calling, I suspect the Thunder end up buying out Horford instead of Kemba.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#36 » by Devilanche » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 am

zimpy27 wrote:

I don’t think you understand what Presti is doing if you are suggesting a pick swap on OKC end.
When Horford was being moved nobody see him as a great player anymore, more like useful player overpaid a fair bit . And his partial guarantee was so large that no non tanking team is paying him to go away.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:10 am

Soulyss wrote:

I don't know what they would actually consider. But if I was making decisions and this was an option I'd be surprised if there was a better one available I'd rather take. I think I could get a more useful player back into that TPE and with Powell and Simons I don't feel like SG is a hole. I'm not convinced I'm a worse team before I start adding back in talent.

And yes I realize CJ is a good player so don't think I'm saying he's not. But I am saying the Blazers have that position staffed well without him. And of course without Dame I'm using this season to re-shuffle some things.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#38 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:13 am

psman2 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Would you rather trade him for a guy like Harris (I would, but understand why others don't) or have a TPE to address other positions for a year and open up a spot for Simons.

CJ for positive trade value is going to be a tough find.

Id rather just keep CJ. I assume this deal is there this summer if I feel I need the cap space.
b33nine
Senior
And1: 92

Post#39 » by b33nine » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:29 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Soulyss wrote:

I don't know what they would actually consider. But if I was making decisions and this was an option I'd be surprised if there was a better one available I'd rather take. I think I could get a more useful player back into that TPE and with Powell and Simons I don't feel like SG is a hole. I'm not convinced I'm a worse team before I start adding back in talent.

And yes I realize CJ is a good player so don't think I'm saying he's not. But I am saying the Blazers have that position staffed well without him. And of course without Dame I'm using this season to re-shuffle some things.

Can you find an example where a TPE was the only asset used to acquire a player as good as CJ? I don't understand everyone else's obsession with trying to trade CJ away for next to nothing. Portland doesn't need cap space, it has never (and probably will never) signed a top tier free agent away from another team. Shipping CJ off to a team for cap space/flexibility is useless to us.

I get it, trades are exciting and everyone loves to see the spectacle of the trade deadline, but I don't think Portland views CJ as a negative value contract that they'd be lucky to move off of for cap savings. If that's how the rest of the league views him, oh well, we'll collect our high draft pick and see what we can make happen next year.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 am

Devilanche wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

I don’t think you understand what Presti is doing if you are suggesting a pick swap on OKC end.
When Horford was being moved nobody see him as a great player anymore, more like useful player overpaid a fair bit . And his partial guarantee was so large that no non tanking team is paying him to go away.

Horford was definitely seen as neutral value and OKC gave their own SRP which is only a few spots different from the PHX FRP

Return to Trades and Transactions