LeBron to Cavs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Re: LeBron to Cavs 

Post#41 » by LAL1947 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:02 am

Did it help the Lakers when they acquiesced to Shaq's wishes and sent him to Miami, getting so little back from the trade? Nopes, not one bit. By doing so, they effed up some of Kobe's prime years, just like Shaq wanted to happen.

The Lakers shouldn't worry about optics with stars IMO. They just need to do what is best for the club. Trade Lebron and get assets for a reload before he walks for free, leaving behind this mess of a roster. Building a roster similar to GSW's should be the end goal... ignoring the luxury taxes, do you see any wasted cap-space there? The stars and free agents will come when they need to... if the Lakers continue to draft well, improve their development work and facilities, and build good rosters.

It's exactly like that old phrase goes, "If you build it, they will come".
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#42 » by Resistance » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:04 am

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
if it was to a legitimate contender then i can see him doing what kawhi did. Adding another ring is important for his legacy. Especially if its with a friend of his like Paul for instance

I can totally see LBJ getting traded to somewhere other than Cleveland. A couple things folks aren't considering is that: (1) There would be value in the Cavs current core playing together and developing for another year without LBJ; and (2) LBJ walked out of Cleveland, twice, and the Cavs got little or nothing in return. Now maybe that shouldn't impact the organization's calculous, but LBJ's not the only one with an ego involved in the equation. I'm not just talking about Gilbert either.

Cavs got LeBron for free twice and LeBron left Cavs for free twice.

An earlier CBA allowed players to get the larger raises in Sign & Trade deals. So LeBron took advantage of it and Cleveland got a return for him when he went to Miami.

LeBron

Transactions
June 26, 2003: Drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 1st round (1st pick) of the 2003 NBA Draft.

July 10, 2010: Traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Miami Heat for a 2011 2nd round draft pick (Milan Mačvan was later selected), a 2012 2nd round draft pick (Jae Crowder was later selected), a 2013 1st round draft pick (Nemanja Nedović was later selected) and a 2016 1st round draft pick (Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot was later selected). Cleveland also received a trade exception from Miami. Cleveland had the option to swap 1st round draft picks with Miami in 2012 but did not do so.

July 12, 2014: Signed a multi-year contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers

July 10, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers

August 12, 2016: Signed a multi-year contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers

July 9, 2018: Signed as a free agent with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Bosh did it as well.

Bosh

Transactions
June 26, 2003: Drafted by the Toronto Raptors in the 1st round (4th pick) of the 2003 NBA Draft.

July 10, 2010: Traded by the Toronto Raptors to the Miami Heat for a 2011 1st round draft pick (Norris Cole was later selected) and a 2011 1st round draft pick (Jonas Valančiūnas was later selected). Toronto also received a trade exception from Miami. This was the same 1st round draft pick that Toronto had previously traded to Miami on February 13, 2009.

July 30, 2014: Signed a multi-year contract with the Miami Heat

July 4, 2017: Waived by the Miami Heat.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#43 » by tidho » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:53 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
if it was to a legitimate contender then i can see him doing what kawhi did. Adding another ring is important for his legacy. Especially if its with a friend of his like Paul for instance

I can totally see LBJ getting traded to somewhere other than Cleveland. A couple things folks aren't considering is that: (1) There would be value in the Cavs current core playing together and developing for another year without LBJ; and (2) LBJ walked out of Cleveland, twice, and the Cavs got little or nothing in return. Now maybe that shouldn't impact the organization's calculous, but LBJ's not the only one with an ego involved in the equation. I'm not just talking about Gilbert either.

Pretty sure the first time he was "got" it cost them the 1st overall pick.
WAKEANT
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#44 » by WAKEANT » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:i think every moderately competitive team can and would crush this offer

This may be VERY true, BUT Lebron & Clutch Sports will force a trade to their desired destination... very likely this summer.
I have no evidence of this action, but Lebron does have a pattern of behavior that hints that this will be his move.
WAKEANT
Sophomore

Post#45 » by WAKEANT » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:20 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Slava wrote:Philly and Morey would break their spines in a rush to beat this offer, starting with Harris, Maxey and Thybulle. Embiid, harden and Lebron is as close as you can get to a guaranteed ring.

I think GSW offer will be hard to beat:
Wiggins, Moody, Wiseman, picks

The same people complaining about a Curry, Klay, Kuminga, LeBron, Green team will be the ones saying they wouldn't trade much of value for LBJ

& GSW is not doing that/this
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,147

Post#46 » by Slim Charless » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:39 am

Lebron is staying. Lakers just need a new home for AD.

To Chicago for Lavine makes a ton of sense imo. Maybe add in Patrick Williams too....or Coby if that's too much.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#47 » by mademan » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:34 am

WAKEANT wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:i think every moderately competitive team can and would crush this offer

This may be VERY true, BUT Lebron & Clutch Sports will force a trade to their desired destination... very likely this summer.
I have no evidence of this action, but Lebron does have a pattern of behavior that hints that this will be his move.

What pattern of behaviour would that be? His next trade demand would be his first one
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#48 » by the_process » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:38 pm

Slava wrote:Philly and Morey would break their spines in a rush to beat this offer, starting with Harris, Maxey and Thybulle. Embiid, harden and Lebron is as close as you can get to a guaranteed ring.

No way giving up that much for old ass LeBron. Unless the trade is an absolute steal and just promising to draft Bronny is enough, I would pass. I'm not interested in turning over all decision making to him.
tidho
General Manager

Post#49 » by tidho » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 pm

Slim Charless wrote:Lebron is staying. Lakers just need a new home for AD.

To Chicago for Lavine makes a ton of sense imo. Maybe add in Patrick Williams too....or Coby if that's too much.

The amount of people that haven't caught on that LeBron's 'pro-Cleveland' comments are all about making the All-Star game in CLE about LeBron rather than CLE is pretty surprising. It was the most LeBron thing to do ever.

That seems like a really nice haul for LAL if they can pull it off. Still doesn't seem like enough to make them legitimate contenders though.
Zman80000
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#50 » by Zman80000 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 4:23 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

The 1st time LeBron left it wasn't free for Miami.

This is what Cleveland acquired for doing a sign + trade to Miami.
Cleveland now owns two of Miami’s first-round draft picks starting no earlier than 2013 and continuing through 2017, the Heat’s 2012 second-round pick from New Orleans, and the future second-round pick Miami acquired from Oklahoma City. Additionally, Cleveland will have the right to swap 2012 first-round picks with the Heat. The trade also gives Cleveland a very large trade exception, which the Cavaliers can now use in trades within one calendar year.
WAKEANT
Sophomore

Post#51 » by WAKEANT » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:41 am

mademan wrote:
WAKEANT wrote:

What pattern of behaviour would that be? His next trade demand would be his first one

I kinda view Lebron & Clutch Sports as the same entity (they are closely tied).
tidho
General Manager

Post#52 » by tidho » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 pm

phraoh wrote:The Cavs aren't trading anybody for Lebron...they have finally gotten out of the Lebron cycle of get rid of everyone under 30, trade or sign older past their prime vets, get rid of draft picks, etc. If he wants to come back as a free agent, we can see where we are then. Love will be off the books, and he can take over his spot, as long as he is willing to fit into the team concept, including ball movement. And I think Lebron definitely will be wanting to come back in 2024. There is a group of fans (me included) who really don't want him to come back. I never enjoyed the 4 seasons of being in the finals, as it wasn't a fun team to watch like this Cavs team is, and was drama after drama....and each year is Lebron leaving....while he is still a great player....he is 37...no sense changing your whole team for him....if he wants to play a Kevin Love role in 2024 (24 minutes a game off the bench), welcome back...if not...stay in LA, as that was the reason you gave for leaving in the first place (you wanted to be in LA for your career and family).

Wait, did I write this?, lol. Hoping this is an Altman burner account.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#53 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:49 pm

I'd +1 the first sentence, but the second sentence is just ... not true. Maybe with Harden from two or three years ago.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#54 » by mg » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:00 pm

Did someone actually grave dig this thread?

Lakers are going to try and do something this offseason to build around LBJ and AD which is why you keep hearing Kyrie and other names even if they are unlikely. If everything falls apart and they have absolutely no paths to putting a team around those 2 then you might see some trade whispers re. LBJ in late summer. It's way too early for the discussion at this point as we haven't even hit FA yet.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lebron just plays out the year and becomes a FA next season. His pending FA is going to be the leverage he uses against the Laker FO to improve the team though. That is the tool he has always used.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#55 » by ThatBoyNick » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:16 pm

Still like this idea for both teams (and Bron if he can make it work for his family)
louc1970
Senior
And1: 146

Post#56 » by louc1970 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:55 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:Love, LeVert, 2025 1st, 2026 swap option (both top 4 protected)

for

James

For Lakers - Move on from LBJ, net a couple of assets, and start the retool around AD.

For Cavs - Bring LBJ home for the end of his career to compete with the new young core.

Under the assumption LBJ lets it be known this off-season that he wants to go back to the Cavs, with expiring in the 2023 FA.

The only reason Cleveland entertains such a thought is to teach the young players what winning is like and if LBJ understands his role is to mentor and not try and change the new regime.
That trade is basically Levert and a first for a 37 yo still amazing player.

Return to Trades and Transactions