LeBron to Cavs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Re: LeBron to Cavs 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:23 am

I mean it doesn't really matter what other teams would offer if Lebron wants Cleveland there is only one bidder. The Lakers would never just take open bids.

But Cavs fans aren't willing to give up anything to get Lebron a year early despite a year of Lebron James still being incredibly valuable and the number of these years is very finite. This should surprise me but it doesn't.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Post#22 » by jayjaysee » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:26 am

scoobs07 wrote:Lakers would want a package such as Mobley, LeVert, Osmon, and a 2023 1st round pick.

Lakers demand that and the Clippers own LA for a decade.

Clearly Cleveland should pay, but Cleveland should be in no hurry to split Mobley/Garland for the next decade hopefully.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#23 » by LAL1947 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:45 am

Jarrett Allen, Lauri Markkanen, 2x 1st round picks... and I'm a happy Laker. We'll have something to tempt Luka with.

I mean, the Lakers could nudge Luka to ask for a trade... give up AD plus picks to get him... yet have two players (Allen and Lauri) who are better than anyone Dallas has to build a team around Luka... and still have cap-space to fill in the blanks too.

Does he want to continue struggling with the motley crew that Dallas keeps putting around him... 6'0" Brunson as his 2nd option, Dwight Powell, Boban, Dinwiddie, Bertans, etc? Or would he prefer to be a part of this, in LA?

PG: Luka, new backup
SG: New starter, Malik Monk
SF: New starter, Austin Reaves
PF: Markkanen, new backup
CE: Allen, new backup
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#24 » by tidho » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:16 pm

scoobs07 wrote:Lakers would want a package such as Mobley, LeVert, Osmon, and a 2023 1st round pick.

Ummmmmm, no.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#25 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:52 pm

LAL1947 wrote:Jarrett Allen, Lauri Markkanen, 2x 1st round picks... and I'm a happy Laker. We now have something to tempt Luka with.

I mean, we could ask Luka to force a trade to the Lakers... give up AD plus picks to get him... yet still offer Luka two better pieces in Allen and Markkanen than anything Dallas has... and will have cap-space to fill in the blanks.

Does he want to continue struggling with the motley crew that Dallas keeps putting around him... 6'0" Brunson as his 2nd option, Dwight Powell, Boban, Dinwiddie, Bertans, etc? Or would he prefer to be a part of this, in LA?

PG: Luka, new backup
SG: New starter, Malik Monk
SF: New starter, Austin Reaves
PF: Markkanen, new backup
CE: Allen, new backup

JA is worth more to the Cavs than one year of LeBron would be worth. The guy is an all-star, defends Embiid/Giannis about as well as you could, has a great contract, and is happy being in Cleveland.

LeVert or Sexton, maybe.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,731

Post#26 » by DowJones » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:12 pm

LeVert, Markkanen, and a top-10 2024 1st. This entire thing is predicated on LeBron going to LA and telling them this is his final year in LA and if they want to trade him then trade him back to Cleveland. This gives Cleveland leverage and LA at least gets some young talent and a pick out of this.

I imagine LeBron will just play out his contract with LA and then consider some other team.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#27 » by Mr Loggins » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:A S&T Sexton would have to be included, with maybe Okoro as well. The OP is far too light

What would be lakers leverage to extract more?

Not trade Lebron? Is keeping sexton (coming off a major injury) worth one season less of being the east favourites?

game of chicken and mouse. Lakers lose him
for nothing then, right?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,092

Post#28 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:37 pm

Assets that should be on the table: Love, Lauri, Cedi, Sexton, LeVert, 2024 1st

Assets that should probably be on the table: Okoro, 2026 1st

Assets that aren't on the table: Mobley, Allen, Garland
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#29 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

What would be lakers leverage to extract more?

Not trade Lebron? Is keeping sexton (coming off a major injury) worth one season less of being the east favourites?

for nothing then, right?

Im sure there would be another team to do a kawhi-raptors v2 and rent him for a year.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#30 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:21 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Assets that should be on the table: Love, Lauri, Cedi, Sexton, LeVert, 2024 1st

I think the picks could happen in 2023/2025 as long as the Cavs don't end up in the lottery. The Stepien Rule only applies to future drafts, so after the Cavs' pick conveys this year, they can trade next year's. (Assuming the Cavs stay out of the lottery.)

I agree on your assessment here though. From the Lakers' perspective I think Love/LeVert make sense if they want to fully reset in 2023 free agency, Lauri/Sexton make sense if they want a quick turnaround and want to build around Davis, and Okoro/1sts if they want to tear down and cut salary. (Cleveland sends players to other teams with space for picks, Lakers cut salary.)
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by Mr Loggins » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:45 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

for nothing then, right?

Im sure there would be another team to do a kawhi-raptors v2 and rent him for a year.

would lebron report? i mean all this is predicated on lebron telling the lakers and cleveland he wants go go back.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#32 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:57 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

for nothing then, right?

would lebron report? i mean all this is predicated on lebron telling the lakers and cleveland he wants go go back.

if it was to a legitimate contender then i can see him doing what kawhi did. Adding another ring is important for his legacy. Especially if its with a friend of his like Paul for instance
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,092

Post#33 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:01 pm

toooskies wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Assets that should be on the table: Love, Lauri, Cedi, Sexton, LeVert, 2024 1st

I think the picks could happen in 2023/2025 as long as the Cavs don't end up in the lottery. The Stepien Rule only applies to future drafts, so after the Cavs' pick conveys this year, they can trade next year's. (Assuming the Cavs stay out of the lottery.)

I agree on your assessment here though. From the Lakers' perspective I think Love/LeVert make sense if they want to fully reset in 2023 free agency, Lauri/Sexton make sense if they want a quick turnaround and want to build around Davis, and Okoro/1sts if they want to tear down and cut salary. (Cleveland sends players to other teams with space for picks, Lakers cut salary.)

You are correct if the 22 pick goes to Toronto, then at the draft or after this could be 23/25 picks.

If LeBron is getting traded there's no way that LAL team is a contender immediately. My favorite idea is for them to try to get Love and Cedi (plus whatever else) and play Russ ball for a year with shooters and AD, then lots of FA money to try to find someone to play with AD.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#34 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:37 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

You are correct if the 22 pick goes to Toronto, then at the draft or after this could be 23/25 picks.

If LeBron is getting traded there's no way that LAL team is a contender immediately. My favorite idea is for them to try to get Love and Cedi (plus whatever else) and play Russ ball for a year with shooters and AD, then lots of FA money to try to find someone to play with AD.

Oh, I do not mean that the Lakers will be successful at turning things around quickly. I only mean to say that that's what they'd be trying to do by taking the 2023 FA package or the young veterans package.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:26 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

if it was to a legitimate contender then i can see him doing what kawhi did. Adding another ring is important for his legacy. Especially if its with a friend of his like Paul for instance

I can totally see LBJ getting traded to somewhere other than Cleveland. A couple things folks aren't considering is that: (1) There would be value in the Cavs current core playing together and developing for another year without LBJ; and (2) LBJ walked out of Cleveland, twice, and the Cavs got little or nothing in return. Now maybe that shouldn't impact the organization's calculous, but LBJ's not the only one with an ego involved in the equation. I'm not just talking about Gilbert either.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#36 » by zimpy27 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

I can totally see LBJ getting traded to somewhere other than Cleveland. A couple things folks aren't considering is that: (1) There would be value in the Cavs current core playing together and developing for another year without LBJ; and (2) LBJ walked out of Cleveland, twice, and the Cavs got little or nothing in return. Now maybe that shouldn't impact the organization's calculous, but LBJ's not the only one with an ego involved in the equation. I'm not just talking about Gilbert either.

Cavs got LeBron for free twice and LeBron left Cavs for free twice.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#37 » by euroleague » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:27 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:i think every moderately competitive team can and would crush this offer

Would the Lakers really auction off LBJ to a team he doesn't want to go to? In 2K sure, but I can't see that happening in a million years in real life.

I see this deal as, Lakers don't believe they are competitive for a title anymore, LBJ doesn't believe so either, he wants out, he only want to go to the Cavs, Lakers, and Cavs have the incentive to make a deal in the off-season, but Cavs won't really have the incentive to gut themselves.

1. We only stop being competitive if LBJ starts dragging his feet. AD + LBJ is a championship contender when healthy.

2. If Lebron is complaining prematurely, and wants to get traded despite signing a 4-year contract, that's the Lakers choice where to trade him.... they won't accept peanuts.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#38 » by mademan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:43 am

Mr Loggins wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

for nothing then, right?

eh. I think Lebron will tell teams not to trade for him, but if a team trades for him, it's gonna be because theyre contenders and understand that it's gonna be a Kawhi-Toronto type situation. I dont see Lebron turning down a contending year because a team decided to trade for him against his wishes. That said, i cant imagine a team trading for Lebron if Lebron doesnt want to go there
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#39 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:45 am

euroleague wrote:If Lebron is complaining prematurely, and wants to get traded despite signing a 4-year contract

Once this off-season starts he becomes an expiring contract...?
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by Mr Loggins » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:17 am

mademan wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

eh. I think Lebron will tell teams not to trade for him, but if a team trades for him, it's gonna be because theyre contenders and understand that it's gonna be a Kawhi-Toronto type situation. I dont see Lebron turning down a contending year because a team decided to trade for him against his wishes. That said, i cant imagine a team trading for Lebron if Lebron doesnt want to go there

yup - thereby my supposition that the lakers wouldnt have a lot of leverage in trade talks with the cavs

Return to Trades and Transactions