WOJ: DeAnthony Melton traded to Philadelphia for #23

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,711

Re: WOJ: DeAnthony Melton traded to Philadelphia for #23 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:28 am

R-DAWG wrote:One of the locks entering the draft was that Morey would package pick #23 with expiring's for BPA. Only real issue I see is they needed a wing with some size to replace Danny Green. Melton is only 6-2 and the bulk of the backcourt minutes will be going to James Harden and Tyrese Maxey, neither of whom has the size to play SF. But I'm also not sure what else was out there.

Even if Harden and Maxey play 34 minutes each, that leaves 28 minutes for Melton at the guard rotation.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,000

Post#22 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:29 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:One of the locks entering the draft was that Morey would package pick #23 with expiring's for BPA. Only real issue I see is they needed a wing with some size to replace Danny Green. Melton is only 6-2 and the bulk of the backcourt minutes will be going to James Harden and Tyrese Maxey, neither of whom has the size to play SF. But I'm also not sure what else was out there.

I think maybe Harden is increasingly a 3? Melton's got a pretty impressive wingspan and plays bigger than his listed height but, yeah, you don't want him playing more than spot minutes against legit 3s. Maybe the calculation is that, by the end of the playoffs, guys like Tatum are mostly sliding up to the 4 a lot of the time.

I think Morey has the philosophy of just get the best players on the court even if the fit is less than perfect. In Houston, they ran a lot of lineups with Paul-Gordon-Harden on the court at the same time. So I can see Philly doing the same with Maxey-Melton-Harden mixing in Thybulle and Korkmaz who have some more size but are not as well rounded as Melton.

It's hard to find big wings.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,641

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:51 pm

For those who care, Bobby Marks reporting Danny Green got $6.96M gtd to complete the trade and the rest still has a gtd date of 7/1
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#24 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:For those who care, Bobby Marks reporting Danny Green got $6.96M gtd to complete the trade and the rest still has a gtd date of 7/1

I thought they had to pick up the whole next year for an off season trade with a non guaranteed to go through. There’s another step to that maybe?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#25 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:For those who care, Bobby Marks reporting Danny Green got $6.96M gtd to complete the trade and the rest still has a gtd date of 7/1

This was the minimum that he needs to be gtd to make the deal work before July 1st. But Marks previously notes that Green had to agree to it.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,448

Post#26 » by jayjaysee » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:33 pm

I love this deal for Philly. I still believe in Morey to go find a useful wing, whether that’s the taxMLE or stacking Springer+Thybulle+?..

But Melton is a great fit with either Harden/Maxey.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#27 » by youngcrev » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:44 pm

That's a new one for me. Felt like a I had a pretty decent grip on the CBA for a while.

Return to Trades and Transactions