Det/Phi: Trying to round out Philly with a KO

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Det/Phi: Trying to round out Philly with a KO 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm

Det out: Kelly Olynyk
Det in: Korkmaz, Jaden Springer, Shake Milton, Isaiah Joe, 2 2nds '24 Philly and '23 best of Atlanta, Brooklyn and Charlotte

Philly out: Korkmaz, Jaden Springer, Shake Milton, Isaiah Joe, 2 2nds '24 Philly and '23 best of Atlanta, Brooklyn and Charlotte
Philly in: Kelly Olynyk

Why?

Philly cobbles together their spare parts and gets a solid backup center and maybe he and Embiid even share the floor some in a jumbo lineup.

Detroit takes on a bunch of fliers, and gets paid to do so. Springer is a year off being a 1st rounder and still just 19. Shake is a solid rotation player at 25, Kokmaz is still 24, and Isaiah Joe is just 22 and seems like he can stick in the league. Worse case scenario they can not pick up Springer and Joe's options and they went from KO to Korkmaz for 2 2nds.

Detroit can complicate it and send someone to a third team, and I was close to including this but ultimately I'm skipping it and posting it as is. However, feel free to imagine something like Shake off to wherever else. Even without that this does gain Detroit just under 2m in cap room
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,713

Re: Det/Phi: Trying to round out Philly with a KO 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:29 pm

I like it
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,815

Post#3 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:34 pm

That's more than I would pay for Olynyk but I like the target. I guess it just depends on what Springer's value is these days. But Philly shouldn't nit pick over an extra 2nd if they like the fit here.

Does Det have the roster space to take on this. Likely waive Joe and try to split off Melton for space.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:51 pm

I like it for Detroit if we can get the Thunder to take Furkan and at least one other sg, that’s A LOT of sgs coming back, and one or both of those seconds for Favors or Green.

I’d be happy getting Favors or Green, Milton, and possibly Springer for Olynyk.

Trade as it is, is way too many wings/guards to keep or cut.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,408

Post#5 » by oldncreaky » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:15 pm

chrbal wrote:I like it for Detroit if we can get the Thunder to take Furkan and at least one other sg, that’s A LOT of sgs coming back, and one or both of those seconds for Favors or Green.

If Kelly O can get us this many looks at young players (Springer, Joe, future SRPs) I'd take it and run. The only real alternative is to keep Kelly, enjoy the court spacing he provides, and hope we can get more at the TDL.

At this point, prior to Summer League and being way under the tax line, I'm not worried about having a bunch of low-cost players with a year or two left on their deals even though a bunch will need to be cut before the season starts. See who works out, and cut whoever doesn't. I wouldn't spend any assets to move players when our tax situation means cutting down to a roster of 15 in October won't have any tax implications.

I'd rather take this offer.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#6 » by LuessiT » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:21 pm

Why is this so big? The Grizzlies trade wasn't finalized, can make it a 3 teamer for easier matching purposes. I'm sure Detroit would like to take less bodies too.
psman2
General Manager

Post#7 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:26 pm

LuessiT wrote:Why is this so big? The Grizzlies trade wasn't finalized, can make it a 3 teamer for easier matching purposes. I'm sure Detroit would like to take less bodies too.

I don't think Memphis is open to taking any more bodies or salary, our roster is near full with us likely bringing back one of Jones/Anderson and using the MLE, we already have to likely cut/trade some GTD salary guys as it is. Danny Green was likely only GTD just enough to make the matching money work. Philly really cannot squeeze much of anything more into that trade unless you amend the compensation to Memphis for taking more unwanted players or salary.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#8 » by LuessiT » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:28 pm

psman2 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:Why is this so big? The Grizzlies trade wasn't finalized, can make it a 3 teamer for easier matching purposes. I'm sure Detroit would like to take less bodies too.

I don't think Memphis is open to taking any more bodies or salary, our roster is near full with us likely bringing back one of Jones/Anderson and using the MLE, we already have to likely cut/trade some GTD salary guys as it is. Danny Green was likely only GTD just enough to make the matching money work (4.6M or so)...Philly really cannot squeeze much of anything more into that trade unless you amend the compensation to Memphis for taking more unwanted players or salary.

That's not what I mean. Philly sent out 15m and are receiving 8m. If you make it a 3 teamer, Philly can use the excess salary they're sending out to match KO. Nothing changes for the Grizzlies.
psman2
General Manager

Post#9 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:32 pm

LuessiT wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I don't think Memphis is open to taking any more bodies or salary, our roster is near full with us likely bringing back one of Jones/Anderson and using the MLE, we already have to likely cut/trade some GTD salary guys as it is. Danny Green was likely only GTD just enough to make the matching money work (4.6M or so)...Philly really cannot squeeze much of anything more into that trade unless you amend the compensation to Memphis for taking more unwanted players or salary.

That's not what I mean. Philly sent out 15m and are receiving 8m. If you make it a 3 teamer, Philly can use the excess salary they're sending out to match KO. Nothing changes for the Grizzlies.

Where is this 15m out? Danny Green is likely only GTD 6.5m or so (I had the money off above). I guess if you wait for the draft pick salary to count after 30 days then that is another 2.5 million Philly could play with. But likely Memphis doesn't want to wait to get Roddy into their system and summer league roster.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#10 » by LuessiT » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:33 pm

psman2 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Where is this 15m out? Danny Green is likely only GTD 6.5m or so (I had the money off above). I guess if you wait for the draft pick salary to count after 30 days then that is another 2.5 million Philly could play with. But likely Memphis doesn't want to wait to get Roddy into their system and summer league roster.

Oh, I didn't know he had a partial guarantee. Nvm then.

Edit: Also thought he was making 15m for whatever reason. Must have remembered wrong.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#11 » by chrbal » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:35 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
chrbal wrote:I like it for Detroit if we can get the Thunder to take Furkan and at least one other sg, that’s A LOT of sgs coming back, and one or both of those seconds for Favors or Green.

If Kelly O can get us this many looks at young players (Springer, Joe, future SRPs) I'd take it and run. The only real alternative is to keep Kelly, enjoy the court spacing he provides, and hope we can get more at the TDL.

At this point, prior to Summer League and being way under the tax line, I'm not worried about having a bunch of low-cost players with a year or two left on their deals even though a bunch will need to be cut before the season starts. See who works out, and cut whoever doesn't. I wouldn't spend any assets to move players when our tax situation means cutting down to a roster of 15 in October won't have any tax implications.

I'd rather take this offer.

I mostly just don’t see a point at looking at Furkan, and we would need a 4 anyway. It’s 4 sgs coming back, only Milton is an NBA player right now, Joe and Springer are projects at best. Like the money return isn’t awful, I was trying to unclutter it.

Another poster suggested adding this in to the Philadelphia/Memphis trade and the sixers would have to send less out. I prefer that or mine.

You can get seconds for NBA owner level pocket change now.
HartfordWhalers

Post#12 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:37 pm

LuessiT wrote:
psman2 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

To be matching he didn't have to be a full gtd. But I haven't seen anything about him not being a full gtd either, and to be partial he would need to agree to it is my understanding.

So, if he was the full gtd, then above could be just:

Korkmaz + Springer for KO.

Would save Detroit 5.6m more cap room this year, and get a look at Springer while Korkmaz is still only 24.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#13 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:38 pm

Very much against this. Philly has virtually zero small forwards on the roster. If Philly is going to consolidated everything remaining not nailed down, it has towards that in my view instead of a backup center.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
psman2
General Manager

Post#14 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
psman2 wrote:

To be matching he didn't have to be a full gtd. But I haven't seen anything about him not being a full gtd either, and to be partial he would need to agree to it is my understanding.

So, if he was the full gtd, then above could be just:

Korkmaz + Springer for KO.

Would save Detroit 5.6m more cap room this year, and get a look at Springer while Korkmaz is still only 24.

I though I saw Scoot saying something like they can GTD a portion of his salary without him consenting. At the time I was 100% sure I agreed with him. Regardless I cannot see Danny turning down free 6.6m here but maybe he demanded his full salary to participate?

On the flip side maybe if Memphis has already decided to operate over the cap then GTD the full 10m to use in another trade or maybe even wait to see if he can contribute something in the playoffs would be worth it.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#15 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:10 pm

I’m all for trading KO. I’m probably only interested in Springer outta the players. The rest of could be routed are ok. Maybe I’d want Milton but we are set at pg.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#16 » by vege » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 pm

That's a lot of useless salaries for a usefull player. I want KO gone badly, but this is brutal for Detroit.
HartfordWhalers

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 pm

vege wrote:That's a lot of useless salaries for a usefull player. I want KO gone badly, but this is brutal for Detroit.

Even if you think all the players are useless (Shake hasn't been), do you think he gets more than 2 2nds?
vege
RealGM

Post#18 » by vege » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:46 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
vege wrote:That's a lot of useless salaries for a usefull player. I want KO gone badly, but this is brutal for Detroit.

Even if you think all the players are useless (Shake hasn't been), do you think he gets more than 2 2nds?

I don't think 2 2nds do anything for us. I would rather let him expire next season (and take the cap hit for his guaranteed money) We are eating money next season because of Korkmaz, and we are adding a lot of players we don't want or need.

Milton doesn't really have a place for us, we have Cade/Ivey/CoJo/Hayes.
HartfordWhalers

Post#19 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:03 pm

vege wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

I don't think 2 2nds do anything for us. I would rather let him expire next season (and take the cap hit for his guaranteed money) We are eating money next season because of Korkmaz, and we are adding a lot of players we don't want or need.

So comparing your cut KO, if you cut every single Sixers player you would be losing 2m cap space in 2 years while gaining 1.8m this year. So actually moving the cap space to the year you have it now, from next year when you probably won't (unless this year is a strike out.And gaining 2 (don't mean anything to you) 2nds.

I feel like calling that brutal seems beyond over the top which is why I assumed you thought you could get a lot more for KO.
vege
RealGM

Post#20 » by vege » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:06 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
vege wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

So comparing your cut KO, if you cut every single Sixers player you would be losing 2m cap space in 2 years while gaining 1.8m this year. So actually moving the cap space to the year you have it now, from next year when you probably won't (unless this year is a strike out.And gaining 2 (don't mean anything to you) 2nds.

I feel like calling that brutal seems beyond over the top which is why I assumed you thought you could get a lot more for KO.

KO doesn't have a lot of value. Depending on what we do in FA, he will be our starting PF, I hope he is not but sadly he might have a role for us. None of those SGs would see the court for us. It would be dead money this season, and next season. That's why I said it's brutal.

And yes, they would all be cut, we currently have 15 players under contract (a bunch of them are expected to be cut, but I imagine we will add a few players in FA)

Return to Trades and Transactions