Suns/Magic/Pacers/Knicks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Suns/Magic/Pacers/Knicks 

Post#1 » by loserX » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:19 pm

Thinking about how best Orlando can use their capspace this offseason...I feel like this is incomplete value-wise and could use your input!

Suns trade
DeAndre Ayton, signed to S&T max
Either Dario Saric or Cameron Payne, whichever they'd rather get rid of

Suns receive
Wendell Carter Jr
Alec Burks
Chicago's 2023 1st from Orlando

*IF* the Suns and Ayton are unable to see eye to eye, they swap him out for another young starting big at less than half the cost, and turn an extra unwanted contract into the productive 3rd guard type they've been after. Picks never hurt either.

Magic trade
Wendell Carter Jr.
Terrence Ross
Chicago's 2023 1st
future 2nd from the stash
capspace

Magic receive
DeAndre Ayton, signed to S&T max
Buddy Hield

The Magic use their capspace to fill out the roster with needed pieces: a talented young C to twin-tower with Banchero, and a volume 3-point shooter they've badly been missing for a while. This now has the makings of something exciting.

Pacers trade
Buddy Hield

Pacers trade
Terrence Ross
Saric or Payne, whoever Phoenix would rather dump

Indiana, with Duarte and Mathurin now needing shots, painlessly get out of the extra year on Hield's contract. Ross can chip in a few veteran minutes at the 3 as well so this isn't a waste of spots.

Knicks trade
Alec Burks

Knicks receive
some future 2nd from Orlando's stash
capspace

The Knicks painlessly clear the last of their needed space for a big move and/or time for their younger guards.

Thoughts? Is that enough for Phoenix? (It's a bit hard to tell, since the Magic have enough space to sign Ayton to an offer sheet outright, so Phoenix's ability to squeeze value in return depends on how hard they're willing to bluff a match.)

Or is it just completely off the mark?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,337

Re: Suns/Magic/Pacers/Knicks 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 pm

Chicago pick isn't necessary, WCJ + Burks is a good return.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#3 » by Skybox » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 pm

Certainly interesting from ORL perspective...but I think whoever maxes Ayton regrets it (except MAYBE PHO). Great player, not a star, IMO. Given Paolo's expected ball dominance, a monster in the paint like Ayton may not be as needed as a more versatile WCJ, who can go inside and, increasingly, outside. In a (salary) vacuum, I take Ayton...but we're talking about close to triple the salary. I don't think that's a good move for ORL - for the same reasons PHO doesn't want to pay him. If Ayton shot threes or blocked a lot of shots, he could become another Embiid...but his numbers are pretty pedestrian. Numbers don't reflect his value, but the difference between him and WCJ's impact isn't big enough for ORL to blow up their cap for years.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,450

Post#4 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:54 pm

I really see no point for Orlando to do this.

They’re completely and wholeheartedly content with Carter and his progression.

Not only that, but if Orlando truly wanted to go after Ayton they could open up the necessary space pretty easily to sign him outright and dare Phoenix to match.

Hield is redundant to Gary Harris which seems like Orlando’s #1 priority in free agency.

WCJ could be a top-12 center as early as next season, no way Orlando considers this.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 527

Post#5 » by Jay_Sizzle » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 pm

I still don’t think the Suns trade Ayton for scrubs and low picks. I think the Suns are out of trading DA, unless Ayton brings in a difference maker. Suns will need to redesign their offense and defense without Ayton, and Wendell Carter Jr does not make it worthwhile to tear down a 64-win team and build around.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#6 » by orlando_joe » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:02 pm

i dont see magic wanting any part of max for ayton or hield..for all the reasons above ...magic pass on both trades
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#7 » by loserX » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Thanks, all. It's an old trade board adage that "trades work best when the other team values your guy more than you do", so if that's not at all the case with Ayton-to-Orlando, then the notion just isn't going to work.

Appreciate the feedback!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#8 » by Wizop » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 pm

loserX wrote:Pacers trade
Buddy Hield

Pacers trade
Terrence Ross

while the Pacers could trade Hield for a forward(s), they need to trade Brogdon more. I wouldn't do any Pacer trade ahead of a Brogdon deal for fear I'd be giving up pieces I'd need to use to make the Brogdon deal work.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#9 » by Adrian Street » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Wizop wrote:
Buddy Hield

Pacers trade
Terrence Ross

while the Pacers could trade Hield for a faftorward(s), they need to trade Brogdon more. I wouldn't do any Pacer trade ahead of a Brogdon deal for fear I'd be giving up pieces I'd need to use to make the Brogdon deal work.

I'll be surprised if the Pacers want to trade Hield with how well he played after the trade and how much Carlisle likes him as a player. If he is traded I expect it to be in along with either Turner or Brogdon. He's not a player I see the Pacers looking to trade just to get off his contract unless they have a plan for the money
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,051

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Adrian Street wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Buddy Hield

Pacers trade
Terrence Ross

while the Pacers could trade Hield for a faftorward(s), they need to trade Brogdon more. I wouldn't do any Pacer trade ahead of a Brogdon deal for fear I'd be giving up pieces I'd need to use to make the Brogdon deal work.

I'll be surprised if the Pacers want to trade Hield with how well he played after the trade and how much Carlisle likes him as a player. If he is traded I expect it to be in along with either Turner or Brogdon. He's not a player I see the Pacers looking to trade just to get off his contract unless they have a plan for the money

I think Indy would move Hield for a better fitting wing, or an expiring salary matching. I don’t think Indy would pay anything at all to move him.

Drafting Mathurin and Nembhard, and hitting on Duarte and Duane last year, while lucking into Hali really just minimizes the need for Buddy. He’s been solid for Indy but things have changed.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#11 » by Adrian Street » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Adrian Street wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I think Indy would move Hield for a better fitting wing, or an expiring salary matching. I don’t think Indy would pay anything at all to move him.

Drafting Mathurin and Nembhard, and hitting on Duarte and Duane last year, while lucking into Hali really just minimizes the need for Buddy. He’s been solid for Indy but things have changed.

I think they would move him to better balance the roster with a good forward. This line of thinking that he is a negative to Indy and they're anxious just to get off his contract for whatever is offered in return is just wrong and will not happen.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#12 » by jonbob17 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm

WCJ and a first for the right to overpay Ayton seems like a strange move. Ayton is clearly an upgrade, but WCJ at 3/36 is amazing value.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#13 » by Knightro » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:36 pm

I like Ayton, but I just can't justify paying him $30M AAV when I already have Carter locked in for $12.5M AAV.

I don't think anyone can reasonably say that Ayton is 17.5M a year better then Carter.

Return to Trades and Transactions