NY - Det

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

NY - Det 

Post#1 » by Apz » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:47 pm

NY in : TPE
NY out: Fournier ,Det 23

Det in: Fournier, Det 23
Det out: Nothing

Why NY. Get rid of fourniers contract, and opening more cap. Det pick is protected for a long time

Why Det. Detroit got a good young core now. Taking fourniers contract into capspace wouldnt be horrible, but the big get is that they get back their pick. Its protected for so long that they cant use any 1sts to make the team even better and fill spots around cade ivey and so on.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: NY - Det 

Post#2 » by Mykhyn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:49 pm

A pick in the 20th range historically costs about 20mil in bad salary.

You have Pistons taking on 60mil in salary for a single pick.

They're better off slow rolling this
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#3 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:58 pm

Cklbmk wrote:A pick in the 20th range historically costs about 20mil in bad salary.

The last year is a club option, so basically 40M

If DET wanted to do this, it probably would have already happened though... Think they want to keep their current cap. If they strike out, I could see them taking useful players on short contracts with picks attached.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#4 » by Apz » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:02 pm

Cklbmk wrote:A pick in the 20th range historically costs about 20mil in bad salary.

Yes, but fournier isnt kemba or griffin or westbrook that is completly useless and dead money. And NY owns pistons future now when they cant trade a first for 7-8 years. If I were pistons I would bite the bullet and have full control of all my picks, and do it now when cade and ivey is just at the start of their contracts and not really expected to win. So when fournier falls off they will be established and can go for winning.

If mavs had cap i probably would have eaten fournier to get mavs pick back, and that pick is only half as long protected
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,750

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:

If DET wanted to do this, it probably would have already happened though... Think they want to keep their current cap. If they strike out, I could see them taking useful players on short contracts with picks attached.

This could have been part of the deal we already did if the Pistons were interested.

For my part I definitely see an appeal to having full control of our first rounders going forward, but the price seems a little high.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,372

Post#6 » by Billl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm

Waay to high a price at this point. If detroit strikes out in FA? maybe. Of course, by then it would be too late for NY.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#7 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Snakebites wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

This could have been part of the deal we already did if the Pistons were interested.

For my part I definitely see an appeal to having full control of our first rounders going forward, but the price seems a little high.

I think that a over-cap team ie celtics would be a better partner to trim some of our contracts anyhow. Fournier/Burks are going to be perceived negative values for under-cap teams, but for TPE teams, both should be neutral/positive.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#8 » by chrbal » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:00 pm

I don’t mind the player, don’t see Detroit taking on that contract without more incentive. A more competitive team might do it looking for extra depth
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,717

Post#9 » by cgf » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 pm

The value seems fair…but unless the Knicks target is Lavine, rather than Brunson, we don’t need to move Fournier. Just one of Burks or Noel gets us to Brunson money, and we should be able to dump one of them without having to give up a FRP.

So unless we have a second big move up our sleeves, Fournier can battle Grimes, Quickley, & Reddish for the final starting spot before serving as salary ballast next offseason when we use some of those picks to make a second big move to try and become more than just a play-in contender *sigh*

Brunson / Rose / Quickley / McBride
Grimes / Quickley / Fournier
Barrett / Fournier / Reddish
Randle / Toppin / Reddish
Robinson / Sims / Randle / Gibson
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
timani
Senior
And1: 64

Post#10 » by timani » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:51 pm

EDIT: Wrong thread.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#11 » by DetroitDon15 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:23 am

Snakebites wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

Unless they tossed in RJ Barrett that it would be a no go for me. No way we are taking on that deal without significant compensation.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#12 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 am

Yeah, I don't see this being something Detroit would do for reasons already articulated. Price is too high for the return. And OP, you're correct that having control of their picks matters, but I don't think DET pivots to contention fast enough for that to be a problem.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#13 » by tmorgan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 am

If I were Weaver and the Pistons, and the Knicks were looking for cap, I’d take Burks for free long before taking Fournier on that deal. One year at 10 plus a team option at 10? Hampers nothing, fills a need. Maybe I’d ask for a second to see if I could get it, but that’s it.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 562

Post#14 » by LaSheed » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 am

I proposed taking Burks deal + 4 2nds rounders for our pick. That's probably not enough. But if we aren't big players in free agency I don't see that pick conveying until 2025 at the earliest with the East as it is now. If it does prior well then something is going right for us.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,749

Post#15 » by theBigLip » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 am

I think Detroit and New York still might do some business, but not this deal. A couple of thoughts:

1. The highly protected Detroit pick isn't a big deal to get back. Pistons will get to use their pick next year for sure, maybe longer depending on how fast their rebuild is. So to lift the protections would be nice, but not that big of a deal.

2. Pistons have the most cap space but not ready to blow it on big free agents - this year. Next summer, they will still get a lottery pick (probably their last for awhile) and then they will likely splurge. So to now take on two year deals is not good (unless it is an under 24 player with star potential). If we're passing on Ayton and Bridges, we're not likely to use it on Fornier instead.

Barrett or Topin and draft picks? Sure, but you won't (and shouldn't) do that.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,080

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:23 am

I don't know, Fournier's a bit overpaid but I don't know too many teams who can't use good shooters in that 6th or 7th man role.

The Pistons probably aspire to use the cap space they're sitting on prime targets, but if the big names come off the board, this wouldn't be the worse use of it particularly if their pick is unencumbered as a result.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,749

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:31 am

jbk1234 wrote:I don't know, Fournier's a bit overpaid but I don't know too many teams who can't use good shooters in that 6th or 7th man role.

The Pistons probably aspire to use the cap space they're sitting on prime targets, but if the big names come off the board, this wouldn't be the worse use of it particularly if their pick is unencumbered as a result.

I agree Fournier's got some value, but Pistons got cap room for a couple of big free agents. If we take on Fournier, then that basically uses up one of the slots. I'm not a patient person, but apparently our GM is. Being patient with this much cap space, even if we keep it into the season, will probably pay big dividends. Facilitating three way trades is a likely avenue.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 729

Post#18 » by A_dub06 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:30 am

Another reason Detroit won’t do this is that we just drafted Ivey. How much playing time is Fournier willing to accept? Ivey will get all the burn he can handle leaving scraps left over, and what if he becomes a negative presence in the locker room?

I also think we could get more value with our cap space like trading with Charlotte for Hayward.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#19 » by Moses ShamMoses » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm

I dont think this is good enough for Detroit. If Pistons could send Kelly O back in the deal I could see it though. Saves NY 5-6m this year (is that enough for a Brunson offer?) and 16m next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using RealGM mobile app
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Trades and Transactions