LeBron/Westbrook for Irving/Simmons/Harris

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who Wins the Trade?

BKN by a lot
44%
BKN
11%
BKN by a little
No votes
Both / Fair Trade
6%
LAL by a little
No votes
LAL
6%
LAL by a lot
28%
Neither
6%

Total votes: 18

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

LeBron/Westbrook for Irving/Simmons/Harris 

Post#1 » by bpcox05 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:36 pm

-----------------------------------------------

BKN Gets: Russell Westbrook & LeBron James
BKN Gives: Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons, & Joe Harris
Why for BKN? They pair the 37 year old LeBron with the 33 year old Durant to form one of the best duos this league has ever seen in an attempt to push them over the top for a championship. They would also still have Mills and Curry to start at PG & SG giving them two great floor spacers to give them space. This also frees up their cap for the next offseason and gives them the ability to add a 3rd star to LeBron & Durant to strengthen the team even more.

PG - Mills / Westbrook
SG - Curry / Thomas
SF - LeBron
PF - Durant
C - Claxton / Sharpe

LAL Gets: Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons, & Joe Harris
LAL Gives: Russell Westbrook & LeBron James
Why for LAL? With LeBron being 37 and not having any good ways to improve the team significantly, they move LeBron for 30 year old Irving and 25 year old Simmons to pair with 29 year old Davis in hopes of forming a big 3. Harris also gives them an elite floor spacer who can start at SG.

PG - Irving / Nunn
SG - Harris / Reaves / Christie
SF - Simmons / Horton-Tucker
PF - Davis / Johnson / Gabriel
C -

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: LeBron/Westbrook for Irving/Simmons/Harris 

Post#2 » by loserX » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:40 pm

LA is not moving LeBron unless he wants to go, and I don't think he does.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:58 pm

LeBron/Westbrook didn't work, I think Westbrook stays put and the Lakers go with the stupidly talented quartet of Russ/Kyrie/Simmons/Davis. it'll have no cohesion at all, but the talent can be parted out if things go south.

I like a LeBron+THT+Nunn for Kyrie+Simmons swap though. I can't decide who sends picks though, every time I say Brooklyn I get shot down.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#4 » by Mykhyn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:09 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:LeBron/Westbrook didn't work, I think Westbrook stays put and the Lakers go with the stupidly talented quartet of Russ/Kyrie/Simmons/Davis. it'll have no cohesion at all, but the talent can be parted out if things go south.

I like a LeBron+THT+Nunn for Kyrie+Simmons swap though. I can't decide who sends picks though, every time I say Brooklyn I get shot down.

1 year of Lebron just doesn't get Simmons
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:15 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:LeBron/Westbrook didn't work, I think Westbrook stays put and the Lakers go with the stupidly talented quartet of Russ/Kyrie/Simmons/Davis. it'll have no cohesion at all, but the talent can be parted out if things go south.

Simmons value is in the gutter and the Nets have to be desperate to salvage a super team. they ABSOLUTELY trade Simmons for LeBron if they get the chance, given the billion question marks surrounding Simmons.

Because if Irving leaves and KD wants out, there's not going to be a magical 1-for-1 superstar swap waiting for KD, they're likely going to have to trade a dollar for 3 quarters, a dime, and a bunch of pennies. Trading Simmons and Kyrie for LeBron, to me, is trading a half dollar and quarter for a dollar, and that's being highly generous to Kyrie, who seemingly has both feet out the door. On top of appeasing KD and receiving the runner GOAT, I don't see how that isn't an absolutely massive win for the Nets, and should be able to send Philly picks to LAL... but a straight swap makes sense to me since both teams should be very eager to get something done. Just depends on LeBron. If he wants it, it gets done, if he doesn't want it, it doesn't happen.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#6 » by Mykhyn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:20 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:

Simmons value is in the gutter and the Nets have to be desperate to salvage a super team. they ABSOLUTELY trade Simmons for LeBron if they get the chance, given the billion question marks surrounding Simmons.

Because if Irving leaves and KD wants out, there's not going to be a magical 1-for-1 superstar swap waiting for KD, they're likely going to have to trade a dollar for 3 quarters, a dime, and a bunch of pennies. Trading Simmons and Kyrie for LeBron, to me, is trading a half dollar and quarter for a dollar, and that's being highly generous to Kyrie, who seemingly has both feet out the door. On top of appeasing KD and receiving the runner GOAT, I don't see how that isn't an absolutely massive win for the Nets, and should be able to send Philly picks to LAL... but a straight swap makes sense to me since both teams should be very eager to get something done. Just depends on LeBron. If he wants it, it gets done, if he doesn't want it, it doesn't happen.

Lebron is 37 years old and planning to go play with his child next year.

He's not worth Simmons let alone Simmons + Kyrie + Harris + Getting out of Westbrook.

1 year of 37 year old Lebron doesn't get you 2 stars and one of the best shooters in the NBA

Ayton Sign and trade for Lebron is significantly closer in value tbh
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#7 » by JayMKE » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Why would the Lakers ever do this?
FREE GIANNIS
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,322

Post#8 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:33 pm

Fun proposal and pretty funny how we're getting the classic "no way would team x do this" followed by "no way would team y do this"

It's a trade of misfit trade assets. Lebron is obviously the prize, but at 38 next year he's not exactly a bankable asset for more than "hopefully" at least next year. Irving and Simmons are the best long term assets, but both have effectively dumpster fire personalities and are expensive as hell to boot. Westbrook is obviously overpaid in the short term and of course struggles mightily adapting his game to a winning brand of team basketball in this day and age.

Would be fun as hell and hilarious if it happened though.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#9 » by Colbinii » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 pm

Cklbmk wrote:

3 Months Year of a worse player in Harden got Simmons, Curry and Picks.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#10 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 pm

I’d swap LeBron for AD.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#11 » by The-Power » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:35 pm

Cklbmk wrote:Lebron is 37 years old and planning to go play with his child next year.

He's not worth Simmons let alone Simmons + Kyrie + Harris + Getting out of Westbrook.

1 year of 37 year old Lebron doesn't get you 2 stars and one of the best shooters in the NBA

It's odd that you emphasize LeBron's age and contract so much, only to refer to Simmons and Irving as ‘stars’ without even a word on how low their value currently is for half a dozen reasons (injury history, contract status, off-court drama). And for good measure you refer to Harris as ‘one of the best shooters’ without mentioning his serious injury, his inability to perform in the playoffs, and his large (negative) contract. All of that suggests that you're not quite unbiased here.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#12 » by Mykhyn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 pm

The-Power wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:Lebron is 37 years old and planning to go play with his child next year.

It's odd that you emphasize LeBron's age and contract so much, only to refer to Simmons and Irving as ‘stars’ without even a word on how low their value currently is for half a dozen reasons (injury history, contract status, off-court drama). And for good measure you refer to Harris as ‘one of the best shooters’ without mentioning his serious injury, his inability to perform in the playoffs, and his large (negative) contract. All of that suggests that you're not quite unbiased here.

When someone has 1-3 years left in their career your best case scenario is what 3 years of lebron if everything goes perfectly?

Ben Simmons in a best case scenario has about 15?

I rather spend a down year fixing him and maximizing him for the next decade than trade that for what is very likely 1 year of Lebron
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#13 » by The-Power » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
The-Power wrote:

When someone has 1-3 years left in their career your best case scenario is what 3 years of lebron if everything goes perfectly?

Ben Simmons in a best case scenario has about 15?

I rather spend a down year fixing him and maximizing him for the next decade than trade that for what is very likely 1 year of Lebron

Or Ben Simmons has a very short career; or one in which he never makes an All-Star team again and you sit on a very negative large contract. To count on Simmons to have a long and highly productive NBA career after what has happened last year is a very risky bet. Three quality years from LeBron may be worth more than whatever amount of years Simmons has in his tank to a team that tries to win it all now.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#14 » by LakersLegacy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:55 am

There’s value in LeBron’s jersey when he outscores Kareem in regular season points. He already out scored Kareem in total regular season and play-off points. And having an all-time great be associated with your franchise.

Not to mention LeBron actually is the best ever at this age. He really has developed unbelievable skills. It’s crazy. And he’s a winner
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#15 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:44 am

This is my least favorite type of trade. Star for star is ALWAYS complicated, and you might have picked ... well ... maybe the most complicated ones. That being said, it's always an interesting thought exercise.

Immediate reaction: no one does this. It just doesn't happen. This sort of blockbuster multiple-star turnover is really really rare, and it only happens with at least MOST of these guys' consent (let's not kid ourselves here).

Lebron, even expiring, even old, is still the best player in this deal. No contest. Simmons is a good player, but people need to stop acting like he's the second coming because he had great advanced stats. (Kelly Scaletta man, I can't with you.) He's under contract for a while, that matters, but he also spent half the season sulking his way out of the last team he played for. And Irving is *gestures vaguely at, well, everything*.

That being said, Westbrook's the worst player in this deal. His game's aged poorly, his knees are shot, his jump shot broke, he's too stubborn to change and he makes a bajillion dollars. And Harris is a good role player. I have the value at roughly a wash (though you have to asterisk because Lebron has his own gravitational field).

As a thought experiment? It's fun. If I'm Brooklyn and I want to go big game hunting next year it lets me do it. Does KD want to play with Russ and Bron? IDK. That's the complicated part. How many of these guys agree to it? At least four of them have enough leverage to make life really difficult for any front office that pushed them.

TL;DR: Fun but pointless.

Return to Trades and Transactions