Turn DLO into 2 rotation level vets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Danimals
Junior
And1: 74

Re: Turn DLO into 2 rotation level vets 

Post#21 » by Danimals » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:39 am

Who is that player available right now? Murray? Collins?
Steph Curry—————Ricky
Michael Jordan———ANT
Lebron James————McDaniels
Kevin Garnett————Love
Nikola Jokic—————KAT
Danimals
Junior
And1: 74

Post#22 » by Danimals » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:41 am

Simmons?
Steph Curry—————Ricky
Michael Jordan———ANT
Lebron James————McDaniels
Kevin Garnett————Love
Nikola Jokic—————KAT
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#23 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:42 am

One other thing to consider with respect to the Wolves is that they are actually fairly deep. The team is returning 10 of its top 11 guys in terms of minutes, and there's a decent chance that Prince returns as well. Other than Beverley, the rotation guys are all 26 or under with five of them being 22 or under. There should be a reasonable amount of improvement just from player development. I also wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of Kessler, Moore, Bolmaro, or Knight breaking into the rotation at some point which makes the team deeper still. The point is the Wolves don't really benefit all that much from breaking DLO into smaller pieces when the rotation is already full.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,009

Post#24 » by R-DAWG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 am

Burks + Noel for Russell fits the description.

Two rotation level vets on expiring contracts.

NY takes a one year flyer on Russell to see if he can regain his 2019 form.
WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,484

Post#25 » by WarFan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 am

babyjax13 wrote:I'd do Conley and Bojan for Russel and 2 2nds.

I really like this for Minnesota.

I think Conley might be the best PG option for the wolves. Just the kind of vet that team needs and his leadership would have helped a ton in the playoffs last year.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#26 » by jscott » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 am

WarFan wrote:

I think Conley might be the best PG option for the wolves. Just the kind of vet that team needs and his leadership would have helped a ton in the playoffs last year.

Conley’s contract would eat up our max space for next year. Wolves pass.
WarFan
RealGM

Post#27 » by WarFan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:07 am

jscott wrote:
WarFan wrote:

What is the wolves plan for that max space?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#28 » by shrink » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:44 am

WarFan wrote:
jscott wrote:Conley’s contract would eat up our max space for next year. Wolves pass.

I don’t think there is a set plan, but cap space proponents wouldn’t want to throw away the Wolves best chance in years. Next year, if the Wolves simply let their expirings go, they would have max space. This is a one-year opportunity, because in 2024 both Ant and KAT will have max extensions kick in. Moreover, while MIN has never been an appealing free agent destination, a rising star in Ant, and hopefully another playoff appearance may make them more attractive.

I tend to lean towards the less risky path, giving up assets now to find a third, expensive star in trade rather than hoping we can convince a free agent to join. But Mike Conley is not the type of player that I would ruin that opportunity for.
WarFan
RealGM

Post#29 » by WarFan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 am

shrink wrote:
WarFan wrote:
jscott wrote:Conley’s contract would eat up our max space for next year. Wolves pass.

I don’t think there is a set plan, but cap space proponents wouldn’t want to throw away the Wolves best chance in years. Next year, if the Wolves simply let their expirings go, they would have max space. This is a one-year opportunity, because in 2024 both Ant and KAT will have max extensions kick in. Moreover, while MIN has never been an appealing free agent destination, a rising star in Ant, and hopefully another playoff appearance may make them more attractive.

I tend to lean towards the less risky path, giving up assets now to find a third, expensive star in trade rather than hoping we can convince a free agent to join. But Mike Conley is not the type of player that I would ruin that opportunity for.

I just don't see a 2023 UFA that would be worth the max. They're mostly either too old, or basically zero chance they would leave their current teams. The only guys that look like a possibility to me are Wiggins, Jerami Grant and Myles Turner. Each of them either has a fit problem and/or isn't really worth a max offer.

Herro, Poole, DeAndre Hunter, Cam Johnson and RJ Barrett are the only RFA's I could see a team maybe being scared off of matching a max offer, but I would also expect a few of them to get extensions before the season.

I don't think Conley ruins future plans as his contract is only half guaranteed on the extra year and could be used in a trade anyways, which seems much more likely than drawing in and overpaying a free agent.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#30 » by jscott » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:07 pm

WarFan wrote:
jscott wrote:
WarFan wrote:I really like this for Minnesota.

To use it as an asset to acquire a longterm talent through trade or free agency.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#31 » by drosestruts » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 pm

Derrick Rose and Evan Fournier for D'Angelo Russell

Knicks want a younger point guard. Here's one that averaged 18 points and 7 assists a game.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,735

Post#32 » by gswhoops » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:47 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Keep DLo and sign a rotation level vet with a MLE. I know this isn't the sexiest answer but it's probably the best option given the choices you listed.

Yeah I agree, keep Dlo, re-sign Prince, and throw the MLE at Jalen Smith or Chris Boucher to sop up some minutes at the 4/5:

KAT / Reid / Kessler
(Smith/Boucher) / Vanderbilt
McDaniels / Prince / Moore
Ant / Beasley / Nowell / Bolmaro
DLO / Beverley / McLaughlin
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#33 » by NebWolvesFan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:00 pm

jscott wrote:
WarFan wrote:

Conley is only guaranteed 14.5 million in 23-24. Minnesota could waive him and still have more than 20 million in cap space which would give you lots of flexibility for trades.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,025

Post#34 » by BeiBeau » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:KCP+Kuz+Ish for Russell?

Fournier+Noel+pick for Russell?

Burks+Noel+Reddish for Russell?

White+Theis+Nesmith for Russell+?

Dinwiddie+Powell+pick for Russell if Brunson walks?

Dinwiddie and Powell is enough for Russell. Dallas isn’t give a 1st for him.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 449

Post#35 » by bkohler » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:43 pm

What about a three-teamer?

MIN Out: Russell
MIN IN: KCP / Bojan Bogdanovic
Why: Split Russel into two quality (expiring) starters

Wiz Out: KCP/Kuza
Wiz In: Russell / Gay
Why: Add Russell as a potential fit next to Beal

Uta Out: Bogdanvic / Gay
Uta In: Kuzma
Why: Save money and move from Bogey to Kuz, a lateral move but saves 12M by including Gay.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#36 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:44 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:KCP+Kuz+Ish for Russell?

Fournier+Noel+pick for Russell?

Burks+Noel+Reddish for Russell?

White+Theis+Nesmith for Russell+?

Dinwiddie+Powell+pick for Russell if Brunson walks?

I think you're right that Dallas doesn't do that, but I also think the Wolves wouldn't either.
shrink
RealGM

Post#37 » by shrink » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:52 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
jscott wrote:

Conley is only guaranteed 14.5 million in 23-24. Minnesota could waive him and still have more than 20 million in cap space which would give you lots of flexibility for trades.

True, but paying $14.5 mil for a guaranteed zero production is definitely a negative.

You’re right, $20 mil in cap space is a good thing. $35 mil in cap space is better, whether it’s for a player or to use in trades.
shrink
RealGM

Post#38 » by shrink » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 pm

drosestruts wrote:Derrick Rose and Evan Fournier for D'Angelo Russell

Knicks want a younger point guard. Here's one that averaged 18 points and 7 assists a game.

And a little (undeserved) star power for the fans. Still, I feel like if the Knicks include Fournier’s $20 mil next year and hurt MIN’s cap space, they need to add compensation. If so, I think MIN puts Malik Beasley on the market. However, the Knicks have many other expiring options other than Fournier.
shrink
RealGM

Post#39 » by shrink » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Dinwiddie+Powell+pick for Russell if Brunson walks?

I don’t hate it because they can play a bit, but Dinwiddie is an additional $19 mil ($10 guaranteed) next year, that is costing MIN cap space.

I think without any incentive, MIN would either trade him elsewhere, or simply let him expire.
twolves31
Junior
And1: 255

Post#40 » by twolves31 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:20 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
jscott wrote:

Where are you getting that 20 million cap space figure? The only contracts the Wolves currently have for 2023-2024 if they decline Beasley's 16.5 team option are the following

Kat 35.9
Ant 13.5
Vandy 4.9
McDaniels 3.9
McLaughlin 2
Moore and Kessler's smaller contracts

That's around 60 million not counting Moore or Kessler (maybe Minott). Salary cap should be north of 120 million. Add in Conley's 24 mil and you should still have 35+ million in cap. Of course that could change significantly if we sign Dlo long term, make a trade, or sign someone like Portis to the mle.

Return to Trades and Transactions