BRK/LAL/PHX/DET - tearing down the Nets in one go

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

BRK/LAL/PHX/DET - tearing down the Nets in one go 

Post#1 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:52 pm

Brooklyn trades Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving (opted in)
Brooklyn receives 2025 PHX 1st, 2027 PHX 1st, 2029 PHX 1st, 2027 LAL 1st, rights to swap 2025 BRK/HOU/OKC 1st with LAL 1st, DeAndre Ayton (S&T max), Cam Johnson, Cam Payne, Dario Saric, Cory Joseph, enough cap savings to bring them under the lux tax

Brooklyn completely melts down the team for Ayton, Johnson, and 4 picks and a swap all of which have high upside, coming from teams going all in now with older vets that might retire/leave by the time the picks convey. Requires some patience, but this is a great starting point for a rebuild, along with BRK's 2023 1st which is still guaranteed to be good since Houston would swap a similarly great 1st as part of the Harden trade.

Lakers trade Russell Westbrook, 2027 LAL 1st, rights to swap 2025 1st with BRK/HOU/OKC 1st
Lakers receive Kyrie Irving (opted in), Kelly Olynyk

I hope nobody believes Kyrie is truly taking the MLE... he's going to opt in and expect the trade. The Lakers swap Westbrook for him, a proven on-court fit with LeBron. Olynyk makes sense as a stretch forward as well.

Phoenix trades DeAndre Ayton (S&T), Cam Johnson, Cam Payne, Dario Saric, 2023 PHX 1st, 2025 PHX 1st, 2027 PHX 1st, 2029 PHX 1st, rights to swap 2026 1sts and 2028 1sts to DET (swaps are top 8 protected)
Phoenix receives Kevin Durant

It's KD. CP3/Booker/Bridges/KD/[McGee?] has to be an instant title favorite. Yes, the era after this is over will suck for a while, but if you win a title, it's all worth it.

Detroit trades Kelly Olynyk, Cory Joseph
Detroit receives Russell Westbrook, 2023 PHX 1st, rights to swap 2026 1st and 2028 1st for Phoenix's 1sts

The Pistons leverage their cap space to get some high upside swap rights and a late 1st next year. Still a fair bit of money left over to go after some 2nd/3rd tier FAs with the remaining cap space, and Russ can be bought out probably for the MLE.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: BRK/LAL/PHX/DET - tearing down the Nets in one go 

Post#2 » by Mykhyn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:16 pm

I kind of like the fit of Pistons and Westbrook. More than most teams at least

I'm not sure Nets do this
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,768

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 pm

Not enough concrete incentive to take on Russ I think. I see the upside but I also see that we could be taking on all that baggage to little benefit.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,087

Post#4 » by The-Power » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:24 pm

I don't think Phoenix gets Durant without Mikal moving to the Nets. The Nets will try to be competitive and Mikal is both a short- and long-term contributor. I'd be shocked if the Nets don't insist on him being involved, and I doubt Phoenix passes on the chance to acquire KD due to refusing to add Mikal.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#5 » by Xman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:24 pm

I would like this as a Houston fan. BKN would probably be in the lottery so HOU would get more ping pong balls (would have to swap so limited value but everyone wants Wemby). Thos 2024 and 2026 firsts would be nice. By 2025, the swaps would be good also.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#6 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:24 pm

Not enough for Brooklyn. They would need Bridges and more 1sts and swaps.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#7 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:29 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Brooklyn trades Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving (opted in)
Brooklyn receives 2025 PHX 1st, 2027 PHX 1st, 2029 PHX 1st, 2027 LAL 1st, rights to swap 2025 BRK/HOU/OKC 1st with LAL 1st, DeAndre Ayton (S&T max), Cam Johnson, Cam Payne, Dario Saric, Cory Joseph, enough cap savings to bring them under the lux tax

Brooklyn completely melts down the team for Ayton, Johnson, and 4 picks and a swap all of which have high upside, coming from teams going all in now with older vets that might retire/leave by the time the picks convey. Requires some patience, but this is a great starting point for a rebuild, along with BRK's 2023 1st which is still guaranteed to be good since Houston would swap a similarly great 1st as part of the Harden trade.

Lakers trade Russell Westbrook, 2027 LAL 1st, rights to swap 2025 1st with BRK/HOU/OKC 1st
Lakers receive Kyrie Irving (opted in), Kelly Olynyk

I hope nobody believes Kyrie is truly taking the MLE... he's going to opt in and expect the trade. The Lakers swap Westbrook for him, a proven on-court fit with LeBron. Olynyk makes sense as a stretch forward as well.

Phoenix trades DeAndre Ayton (S&T), Cam Johnson, Cam Payne, Dario Saric, 2023 PHX 1st, 2025 PHX 1st, 2027 PHX 1st, 2029 PHX 1st, rights to swap 2026 1sts and 2028 1sts to DET (swaps are top 8 protected)
Phoenix receives Kevin Durant

It's KD. CP3/Booker/Bridges/KD/[McGee?] has to be an instant title favorite. Yes, the era after this is over will suck for a while, but if you win a title, it's all worth it.

Detroit trades Kelly Olynyk, Cory Joseph
Detroit receives Russell Westbrook, 2023 PHX 1st, rights to swap 2026 1st and 2028 1st for Phoenix's 1sts

The Pistons leverage their cap space to get some high upside swap rights and a late 1st next year. Still a fair bit of money left over to go after some 2nd/3rd tier FAs with the remaining cap space, and Russ can be bought out probably for the MLE.

The deal for the Pistons is too light. They’d need a lotto pick to make it work. Westbrick wont take the MLE to walk. We’d most likely need Cam Johnson heading to Detroit too.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:52 pm

So Detroit is taking on Westbrook for a single first and a pair of protected swap rights from a team with Booker, Durant, CP3 and Bridges?

Lolz. No. Not at all.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:53 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Not enough for Brooklyn. They would need Bridges and more 1sts and swaps.

I doubt they get a ransom that big for KD given the situation.

Probably fair to expect Bridges and some picks to be included though.

EDIT: Oh WOW, I didn't realize that those swaps were protected even. That makes this even worse for Detroit.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 pm

...and with the news that Kyrie is now opting into his deal I think talk along these lines can be shelved. KD will presumably be staying put as well.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#11 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 pm

tmorgan wrote:So Detroit is taking on Westbrook for a single first and a pair of protected swap rights from a team with Booker, Durant, CP3 and Bridges?

Lolz. No. Not at all.

KD and CP3 will be 37 and 41 when the first of the two swaps convey, 39 and 43 when the other swap conveys. Booker's contract is up before then. You don't think Detroit will be coming up and Phoenix coming down by then? I have those swaps not only being valuable, but an overpay for 1 year worth of salary.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#12 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 pm

Oh wait, I forgot another advantage for Detroit:

Westbrook gets to take Jaden Ivey’s minutes and teach him to use his athletic gifts to demand rebounds, get a huge ego, and never learn to shoot.

Fantastic! Sign me up.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#13 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:58 pm

tmorgan wrote:Oh wait, I forgot another advantage for Detroit:

Westbrook gets to take Jaden Ivey’s minutes and teach him to use his athletic gifts to demand rebounds, get a huge ego, and never learn to shoot.

Fantastic! Sign me up.
i said he'd be bought out but go off
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#14 » by chrbal » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:00 pm

For Detroit it’s basically take on ~$15 million of dead money for the next 3 seasons and get a late 20s 1st in ‘23 and the rights to swap picks we’d most likely never do because it’s the Suns.

Right or wrong the Knicks paying out a lottery pick to take on Walker may have set the bar too high, but this is way to low of a reward.

In all honesty it’s basically the 28th pick next season for taking a large chunk of money for a useless to Detroit player.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#15 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:03 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
tmorgan wrote:Oh wait, I forgot another advantage for Detroit:

Fantastic! Sign me up.
i said he'd be bought out but go off

My bad. Missed that. I was incensed.
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 527

Post#16 » by Jay_Sizzle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:09 pm

So Phx trades 6 picks in addition to Ayton and Cam Johnson? That seems heavy. How many picks are we counting Ayton and Cam for? If that is 4, then the Suns are trading 10 picks (an entire decade) for a 34 year old. I love KD, but if Ayton and Cam are going out, then have to limit to 2 first rounders unprotected.

I would love to see some offers better than Ayton, Cam and 2 first rounders. If it is presented, the maybe the Suns present a Godfather offfer.

Return to Trades and Transactions