[Shams/Woj] Kyrie Opting In, Remaining with Nets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,671

Re: [Shams/Woj] Kyrie Opting In, Remaining with Nets 

Post#41 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:48 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Kyrie will "magically" start playing the majority of games next season. Knicks max offer coming up next off season.

It's not magic. It's no more New York COVID restrictions.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#42 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:51 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Kyrie will "magically" start playing the majority of games next season. Knicks max offer coming up next off season.

It's not magic. It's no more New York COVID restrictions.

Kyrie was already ditching the Nets for "sabbaticals" before the vaccine was even a thing.

He's also a highly injury-prone player, so he can also still easily miss long stretches of the year for non-narcissistic reasons.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,455

Post#43 » by jayjaysee » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:51 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:He would have to be traded, wait a bit and then sign an extension. I don't think he can do it in one fell swoop after signing the opt in.

He should be eligible for an extension as it’s 3 year anniversary - don’t see why he wouldn’t be eligible for a extend and trade.

I’m very certain he can sign a 2 year extension as part of an “extend and trade” .. which would give whatever team is willing to trade for him (eh) some amount of security and not hard cap them.

He can do an option pickup, extend and trade in a single transaction. However, picking up his option now but being traded a week from now I believe causes an issue.

I mean the league should be more concerned by all the rumors of LAL for Kyrie, by the Knicks hiring someone’s dad..

Him accepting his player option and then continuing to look for a trade doesn’t seem to be an issue to me? The Nets even went out and said he’s welcome to look for a trade right?
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,789

Post#44 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:44 am

Title translates to.

No team wants to sign and trade for me.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,079

Post#45 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:27 am

Larry_Russell wrote:Title translates to.

No team wants to sign and trade for me.

I suspect there are a few teams who would trade for him, but the Nets weren't interested in what they wanted to send back.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,007

Post#46 » by R-DAWG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:27 am

zimpy27 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:Honestly, I kind of think this outcome was the best case scenario for Brooklyn. Get a chance to run it back, work Ben Simmons into the lineup (who is potentially a better fit than with Harden) while having enough room to improve in the margins including the MLE, Philly 1st rd picks from the Harden deal, and some moveable contracts.

I think I'd be looking to trade Kyrie and Durant if I was the Nets. Otherwise you face the same problem next offseason and now you only have Durant with one less year and a potential injury.

I think the rostered players have too many questions. I'd be looking to cash out for younger players if it were me.

If KD and Kyrie are healthy you have a chance to win the championship. If you trade them who knows when you will be able to say that about the Nets again.

Unless they force your hand, you run it back. It’s too hard to get back to this position.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#47 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:31 am

R-DAWG wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:Honestly, I kind of think this outcome was the best case scenario for Brooklyn. Get a chance to run it back, work Ben Simmons into the lineup (who is potentially a better fit than with Harden) while having enough room to improve in the margins including the MLE, Philly 1st rd picks from the Harden deal, and some moveable contracts.

I think I'd be looking to trade Kyrie and Durant if I was the Nets. Otherwise you face the same problem next offseason and now you only have Durant with one less year and a potential injury.

I think the rostered players have too many questions. I'd be looking to cash out for younger players if it were me.

If KD and Kyrie are healthy you have a chance to win the championship. If you trade them who knows when you will be able to say that about the Nets again.

Unless they force your hand, you run it back. It’s too hard to get back to this position.

100%. I think fans are sometimes too eager to tear it down instead of running it back. (Look, I argued the opposite side of it years ago, I get the arguments. I'm older and talked to a lot more hoops folks over the last several years).
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,909

Post#48 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:07 am

R-DAWG wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Every year there is a probability for every team and that probability is big or small. The factors that determine probability are (1) the likelihood that players play based on injury or sitting out, (2) the talent you have, (3) and ofcourse the level of opponent teams that season. The first factor is actually the heaviest weighted even though that may not be first instinct. No team has won a championship with a top player out.

With Nets having unreliability from both Kyrie and Simmons, I'd consider the probability they win to be actually quite low.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,007

Post#49 » by R-DAWG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:04 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

100%. I think fans are sometimes too eager to tear it down instead of running it back. (Look, I argued the opposite side of it years ago, I get the arguments. I'm older and talked to a lot more hoops folks over the last several years).

I even understand why a team like Portland wants to try to re-tool around Dame and give it one more shot rather than tear it down. It's hard to get stars. It's hard to go on deep playoff runs. It's easy to tank. Even if Portland has a very low shot at a title, I respect what they are doing.

Regarding Brooklyn, sure Simmons is a health risk coming off back surgery, the shot is a question mark, and whatever happened last year is very concerning. He's also one of the best and most versatile defenders in the league who excels pushing the ball, driving to the hoop and kicking out to shooters, and as a big floor general. If he's healthy pushing the ball, with KD and Kryie flanking him with a few other shooters around him, you can see the potential of this team.

And remember, without the vaccine issue in 2021, Kyrie played in 75% of the regular season games that year (which would put him at 62 games in a normal season) and was an all-NBA player. Sure, he rolled his ankle in the Milwaukee series, but that's as much a freak injury as anything else. Sure, certain guys are injury prone - weather it's their style of play or pain tolerance threshold - and Kyrie is one of them. But the talent is there.

And while it wouldn't be my first choice to rely on Brooklyn's group, there are probably 15-20 teams that would roll the dice on what they have.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#50 » by Xman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:16 pm

I think BKN wants to run it back. But, I do not think Kyrie is going to let them. Kyrie wanted his extension and was denied. Staying in BKN for the year means uncertainty - he is able to walk in free agency but cannot get a big number due to limited cap space. If he can force his way to LAL then he wins all the way around (gets to play with buddies and LAL gives him the big extension he wants - or at least he thinks they will). So, what is the best way for him to do that? Go radio silent until other teams make moves (eliminating options like POR. etc.). Then, be a royal pain and make it clear that he is not going to help them win. The 2027 LAL first might not be enough motivation so I see LAL also taking JHarris. He can help LAL and BKN clears out the salary (will need other small moves with it to move $10 mil of LAL like THT or others).
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,043

Post#51 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:19 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

I agree, and the Nets were playing with fire if they really felt they were okay with Kyrie and KD leaving. They played hardball with him and were fortunate it seems to have gone their way for now. Still, they may have ruptured the relationship and have little chance of extending him.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#52 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:20 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=b6KtCJY7-V-A2Xy0tdjOsw

How did Kyrie have a four year commitment to the Nets or KD?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,048

Post#53 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:21 pm

I guess a contract year Kyrie will be a motivated one? Guess we will see. But I think the Nets need to find a way to run it back. Add Simmons to KD and Kyrie and they are still among the top 3 most talented teams in the East.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,920

Post#54 » by K_chile22 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=b6KtCJY7-V-A2Xy0tdjOsw

How did Kyrie have a four year commitment to the Nets or KD?
His first four year deal, but really it's just PR
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#55 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Every year there is a probability for every team and that probability is big or small. The factors that determine probability are (1) the likelihood that players play based on injury or sitting out, (2) the talent you have, (3) and ofcourse the level of opponent teams that season. The first factor is actually the heaviest weighted even though that may not be first instinct. No team has won a championship with a top player out.

With Nets having unreliability from both Kyrie and Simmons, I'd consider the probability they win to be actually quite low.

How many teams can say 'if our best guys can stay on the floor most of this season, we have a shot at a title'? That's shaky with Kyrie, but he gives them a chance. Without him, not so much.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,909

Post#56 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:12 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

How many teams can say 'if our best guys can stay on the floor most of this season, we have a shot at a title'? That's shaky with Kyrie, but he gives them a chance. Without him, not so much.

I would have GSW, Dallas, Suns, Memphis, Heat, Celtics, Raptors, 76ers, Bucks all having a better chance.

I would have Jazz, Clippers, Pelicans, Blazers, Lakers having a similar chance to Nets.

So in reality I'd say they have slightly above average chance.

It's not "if healthy" with these guys either, it's "if healthy and willing"
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Trades and Transactions