Based on Hoopshype rumor NY/LAC kinda boring

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Based on Hoopshype rumor NY/LAC kinda boring 

Post#1 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:23 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-anfernee-simons-kevon-111036441.html
not taking off my add blocker for the actual site... but

The New York Knicks have had exploratory discussions on trading center Nerlens Noel to the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told HoopsHype. Noel could fit into the Clippers’ $9.7 million trade exception previously generated by the Serge Ibaka trade.

Article suggests Knicks give up compensation, but being that Noel's contract has team option not player option, I think it's more likely to be a Noel for TPE + SRP.

Thoughts?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,087

Re: Based on Hoopshype rumor NY/LAC kinda boring 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:25 pm

Noel into the TPE seems fine to me. LAC wants a center so they aren't going to ask NY to pay to dump the salary. But I wouldn't expect LAC to give anything back.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,955

Post#3 » by ejftw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:28 pm

Clips won't give a SRP, if anything, they might get one or two.

It has less to do with Noel being an essential expiring and more with NU wanting space for Jalen
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:59 pm

Knicks would definitely need to be paying something, not much, but something.

I would hope Ballmer understands nearly $50M for Noel is horrible value and that the Clippers should just sign a min center, but hey if he's willing to spend absurd money, go for it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#5 » by chrbal » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:22 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-anfernee-simons-kevon-111036441.html
not taking off my add blocker for the actual site... but

The New York Knicks have had exploratory discussions on trading center Nerlens Noel to the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told HoopsHype. Noel could fit into the Clippers’ $9.7 million trade exception previously generated by the Serge Ibaka trade.

Article suggests Knicks give up compensation, but being that Noel's contract has team option not player option, I think it's more likely to be a Noel for TPE + SRP.

Thoughts?

For how valuable opening up cap space for them is. New York will be paying out a 2nd to move him. He’s a very solid player, but the one year is still pricy on its own.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#6 » by Mykhyn » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:33 pm

I don't hate it. I definitely think Noel could embrace a defensive and rebounding role quite well and he'd probably do pretty well with the spacing the Clippers seem like they'll have

Dedmon/Dieng seem like other interesting players in that mold that might be able to be snagged for the minimum.

I think the most interesting aspect of Noel is that gives them a salary to trade and actually fills a useful role if some salary filler is needed at the deadline.

Mitchell Robinson seems like another interesting one that might be surprisingly cheap given just how many centers were in the draft this year and are available on the market. Feel like someone might get a steal with him since I'm not fully convinced hes been properly utilized yet
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#7 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:42 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Knicks would definitely need to be paying something, not much, but something.

I would hope Ballmer understands nearly $50M for Noel is horrible value and that the Clippers should just sign a min center, but hey if he's willing to spend absurd money, go for it.

I would assume price is not a factor for Ballmer. If that's the price, that's the price. Just always perplexes me when teams don't want to pay for one, two years of a player under contract but will rush to overpay a FA which just becomes the two year overpaid player two years later.

I suppose the trick is to see if someone has interest in undercutting here.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 935

Post#8 » by clippertown » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:51 pm

I doubt the Clippers will be sending over any assets to NY. Noel may find a home in LA, but he will have to compete for minutes against Zubac and likely Batum / RoCo and Morris Sr during small ball lineups. Its possible he will ride the bench.

Clips are open to this because they are likely to pay Wall the money they reserved for Hartenstein, thus will lose Hart for nothing. They cannot afford another Center above vet minimum so Noel will become an insurance policy (costing Ballmer $40M).

To be honest, Noel is a decent rebounder and paint defender and that is a glaring Clipper weakness. Against certain teams that are very good at rebounding, Noel might be very useful.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:28 pm

Yeah I need the clippers to get a 1st and a 2nd for doing this
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,955

Post#10 » by ejftw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Thinking on it, last time Clippers helped a team clear cap space to sign a star was Miami with Jimmy Butler and they got a first for their troubles....I could see them squeezing one out here as well or just bringing back Ibaka on the min
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#11 » by youngcrev » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 pm

Offensive issues aside, being able to put a defensive lineup of Powell, PG, Kawhi, Rocco, Nerlens on the floor (with a John Wall and Batum to mix and match in there) feels potentially suffocating.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Knicks would definitely need to be paying something, not much, but something.

One would hope that we'd at least get a first-round pick out of the deal for helping the Knicks out at such a crazy expense.
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:13 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

One would hope that we'd at least get a first-round pick out of the deal for helping the Knicks out at such a crazy expense.

Yeah its not the Knicks problem that it costs the Clippers so much due to tax. For them they are only trying to dump his actual salary. Now it may be they can't find any other takers and the Clippers can extract a protected first. But the price will be based on the salary being dumped, not the Clippers tax bills which are their own problem.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#14 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:33 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Yeah its not the Knicks problem that it costs the Clippers so much due to tax. For them they are only trying to dump his actual salary. Now it may be they can't find any other takers and the Clippers can extract a protected first. But the price will be based on the salary being dumped, not the Clippers tax bills which are their own problem.

The Knicks' problem is that they've decided Jalen Brunson is prime LeBron and they need to clear cap space quickly to give him a huge contract. The Clippers aren't nearly as desperate here; Noel would be nice to have, but he's not an absolute necessity. So Frank should either hold out for a first-round pick or just walk away and not run up the tax bill that much. The ball is in the Knicks' court here, how badly do they really want Brunson?
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,908

Post#15 » by cgf » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:58 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:One would hope that we'd at least get a first-round pick out of the deal for helping the Knicks out at such a crazy expense.

The Knicks' problem is that they've decided Jalen Brunson is prime LeBron and they need to clear cap space quickly to give him a huge contract. The Clippers aren't nearly as desperate here; Noel would be nice to have, but he's not an absolute necessity. So Frank should either hold out for a first-round pick or just walk away and not run up the tax bill that much. The ball is in the Knicks' court here, how badly do they really want Brunson?

The knicks don't have to give up a first to move Noel to make that happen. Moving Burks into a TPE works just as well.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Texas Chuck

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:One would hope that we'd at least get a first-round pick out of the deal for helping the Knicks out at such a crazy expense.

I agree from the Clippers side. I wouldn't pay that bill for Noel without real incentive.

But the Knicks likely have options outside of LA. So they aren't forced to pay a ransom here. Someone else would undercut the Clippers if they got too demanding.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#17 » by LAL1947 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:30 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:

I would assume price is not a factor for Ballmer. If that's the price, that's the price. Just always perplexes me when teams don't want to pay for one, two years of a player under contract but will rush to overpay a FA which just becomes the two year overpaid player two years later.

I suppose the trick is to see if someone has interest in undercutting here.

Can't believe you said, "if that's the price, that's the price", with a straight face... and then tried to make it a perplexing thing... when it's $40-50M for 1 year of Nerlens Noel!! :lol:
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#18 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:01 pm

What if you rope BOS in?

LAC: Noel, 2nd from BOS/NYK for Kennard
NYK: cap space / top 55 protected LAC 2nd for Noel, 2nd
BOS: Kennard for 2nd

Debate which 2nds, etc.
LAC has plenty of wings still, so no need to pay that much for Kennard + tax hit.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#19 » by TheNewEra » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:16 pm

Don’t see the clippers dumping Kennard just to do it. You at least want to see how dynamic his shooting can be with all the new options.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#20 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:26 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Don’t see the clippers dumping Kennard just to do it. You at least want to see how dynamic his shooting can be with all the new options.

Fair. I was torn. He seems expensive when you have that much depth at his position. But you have the Bank of Ballmer, or at least might be able to get more for him.

Return to Trades and Transactions