SAC - CHA - HOU - TOR

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,279

Re: SAC - CHA - HOU - TOR 

Post#21 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:36 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote: if we really want him we can just offer him a deal next off-season.

it rarely works out that way but i can see why you prefer another direction/player :)
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,570

Post#22 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:39 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Its actually going to be reported as one big trade/transaction i believe once moratorium ends. But this is how 3 team/4 team trade works often. Team A get something from team B that team C wants.

This may be reported as a single deal, but we all really know what Grant was traded for. The deal started as a two team deal and Grant fetched the Milwaukee 1st. It expanded later. NY/Charlotte had other reasons for why they panicked and made terrible decisions (Brunson, Jordan being cheap), but that doesn't change what Grant's value is. The deal would have went through with or without the inclusion of Charlotte/NY.

It feels disingenuous to suggest Grant fetched #13. More like eating Kemba + the Milwaukee pick got Detroit #13.

I mean even if you insist on separating the transactions personally i dont think its too egregious since Grant also returned 3 seconds and 20M in capspace in addition to MIL 2025 1st. that capspace is worth a 1st essentially (9M used was worth 4 seconds per what NYK paid) so Grant was about 2 1sts and 3 seconds in value even just looking at Portland return.

Where do you figure he returned 3 2nds?

Again, I'm not even the one saying it. Woj/Shams/Bontemps are basically reporting this deal had nothing to do with Portland.

"NYK trades 11th to OKC

OKC trades 3 1sts to NYK (Den, Det, Washington picks)

NYK then trades 23 den, 4 seconds to Charlotte for 13

NYK then trades 13th & Kemba to Detroit for MKE's 25 1st"

This is how they are explaining the deal. The Portland deal was done outside of this scope, and was already agreed to. Sure Portland could technically back out and say hey wait lets cut Detroit out and I'll take 13 + Kemba instead of Grant. But In my time of watching the NBA I can't recall another time a GM has done that? It's a pretty dirty move, and I think it would lead to a much bigger mess with other GM's not wanting to work with Portland snaking them. They agreed to a deal for Grant. Detroit was savvy and was able to turn the Milwaukee pick into something much better.

I have the Milwaukee pick + eating Kemba salary as being "worth" #13. Not Grant.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#23 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:40 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote: if we really want him we can just offer him a deal next off-season.

it rarely works out that way but i can see why you prefer another direction/player :)

Maybe it doesn't but again he wouldn't really be my target anyways. And next year the free agent pool is far more loaded than this years.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#24 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:40 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
This may be reported as a single deal, but we all really know what Grant was traded for. The deal started as a two team deal and Grant fetched the Milwaukee 1st. It expanded later. NY/Charlotte had other reasons for why they panicked and made terrible decisions (Brunson, Jordan being cheap), but that doesn't change what Grant's value is. The deal would have went through with or without the inclusion of Charlotte/NY.

It feels disingenuous to suggest Grant fetched #13. More like eating Kemba + the Milwaukee pick got Detroit #13.

I mean even if you insist on separating the transactions personally i dont think its too egregious since Grant also returned 3 seconds and 20M in capspace in addition to MIL 2025 1st. that capspace is worth a 1st essentially (9M used was worth 4 seconds per what NYK paid) so Grant was about 2 1sts and 3 seconds in value even just looking at Portland return.

Where do you figure he returned 3 2nds?

Again, I'm not even the one saying it. Woj/Shams/Bontemps are basically reporting this deal had nothing to do with Portland.

"NYK trades 11th to OKC

OKC trades 3 1sts to NYK (Den, Det, Washington picks)

NYK then trades 23 den, 4 seconds to Charlotte for 13

NYK then trades 13th & Kemba to Detroit for MKE's 25 1st"

This is how they are explaining the deal. The Portland deal was done outside of this scope, and was already agreed to. Sure Portland could technically back out and say hey wait lets cut Detroit out and I'll take 13 + Kemba instead of Grant. But In my time of watching the NBA I can't recall another time a GM has done that? It's a pretty dirty move, and I think it would lead to a much bigger mess with other GM's not wanting to work with Portland snaking them. They agreed to a deal for Grant. Detroit was savvy and was able to turn the Milwaukee pick into something much better.

I have the Milwaukee pick + eating Kemba salary as being "worth" #13. Not Grant.

In the original Portland deal portland traded 36 for 46 and another 2 seconds to Detroit i believe. I wasn't arguing the grant being worth 13 anymore.. i'm saying the return from Portland strictly speaking is worth about 2 1sts and 3 seconds
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#25 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:48 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
In the original Portland deal portland traded 36 for 46 and another 2 seconds to Detroit i believe. I wasn't arguing the grant being worth 13 anymore.. i'm saying the return from Portland strictly speaking is worth about 2 1sts and 3 seconds

Portland receives:

• Jerami Grant
• 2022 second-round pick swap (No. 46)

Detroit receives:

• 2022 second-round pick swap (No. 36)
• 2025 first-round pick (via Milwaukee)
• 2025 second-round pick

A Milwaukee 1st, jumping 10 spots in the 2nd round, 2025 2nd.

But hey every team values 2nds differently. The Kings sell them like candy every year. The Hawks moved down 7 spots for cash. Magic got cash + a 2nd in 2028 for #35.

I personally don't value 2nds at all. But the chance at a lottery pick? Id give you 2nds for the next decade for that pick.

Id give a Grant style package for Trent, that cost makes sense to me. Unfortunately the Kings don't have a Milwaukee valued 1st laying around anywhere :nonono:
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#26 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:55 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Portland receives:

• Jerami Grant
• 2022 second-round pick swap (No. 46)

Detroit receives:

• 2022 second-round pick swap (No. 36)
• 2025 first-round pick (via Milwaukee)
• 2025 second-round pick

A Milwaukee 1st, jumping 10 spots in the 2nd round, 2025 2nd.

But hey every team values 2nds differently. The Kings sell them like candy every year. The Hawks moved down 7 spots for cash. Magic got cash + a 2nd in 2028 for #35.

I personally don't value 2nds at all. But the chance at a lottery pick? Id give you 2nds for the next decade for that pick.

Id give a Grant style package for Trent, that cost makes sense to me. Unfortunately the Kings don't have a Milwaukee valued 1st laying around anywhere :nonono:

Portland also sent out another 2nd to Denver (i'm not sure why?) as part of the deal per Woj i think.

Anyways i've been trying to tailor my GTJ trades around this deal as a comp so i'm not trying to rip off anyone too egregiously. I would be okay with expiring + 1 mid 1st or 2 late 1sts, or capspace + 1 projected late first + swap or seconds (give or take)

Return to Trades and Transactions