The Brunson sign and trade thread?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,968

Re: The Brunson sign and trade thread? 

Post#21 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:02 am

Why would New York help Mavs when they have their 2023 FRP?

They'd have to feel they are getting better value than that pick would allow by just letting Dallas be.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 am

zimpy27 wrote:Why would New York help Mavs when they have their 2023 FRP?

They'd have to feel they are getting better value than that pick would allow by just letting Dallas be.

They aren't ever looking to "help" Dallas. They want to make deals that benefit them. The protections on that pick already mean New York is never seeing a premium pick so refusing to make a deal that gains them something in hopes that the pick is one or two spots better would be silly and teams generally don't think like that.

This would be far different if the had an unprotected Mavs pick and Luka was the free agent they were signing where it would improve their asset significantly.

Taking a 2nd or two to make it a S&T is something they will likely do because they understand it won't change the value of that asset in a meaningful way and they will want to maintain relationships with a franchise they have historically made a lot of trades with.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,470

Post#23 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:13 am

That’s a new unfortunate twist, though I can’t see that level of hardball since Dallas still has Luka/Wood and other roleplayers. Maybe NY gets Dallas to drop the protection further / or maybe they get to use Noel instead of Alec.

Realistically - most of these ideas work with Dallas send Powell+Green to Detroit/OKC/Portland/NOP etc.

You send that 14 million to one of those teams, then you send Bullock or Maxi to Dinwiddie or a combination.

The Brunson sign and trade is just a tool to allow us (Me) to spend more of Cubans money.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#24 » by Resistance » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:13 am

Before I go too far on this, a preliminary question.

Is Oubre at $12,600,000 acceptable for Dallas?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#25 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:15 am

Resistance wrote:Before I go too far on this, a preliminary questions.

I don’t think he’d be valued with THJ, Dinwiddie, and Bullock (and Green/Hardy)

And personally have no interest..
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,968

Post#26 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:19 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

They aren't ever looking to "help" Dallas. They want to make deals that benefit them. The protections on that pick already mean New York is never seeing a premium pick so refusing to make a deal that gains them something in hopes that the pick is one or two spots better would be silly and teams generally don't think like that.

This would be far different if the had an unprotected Mavs pick and Luka was the free agent they were signing where it would improve their asset significantly.

Taking a 2nd or two to make it a S&T is something they will likely do because they understand it won't change the value of that asset in a meaningful way and they will want to maintain relationships with a franchise they have historically made a lot of trades with.

It's only top 10 protected and 2023 is projected to be an all-time level draft as good as 2021.

I maintain that they would have to believe they are getting better value by helping Dallas, but that benefit may be in the form of SRPs or trade relationships. How big would the TPE be with BYC? $12-15m? Is that TPE more valuable than taking Burks?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Dallas isn't really desperate, but this does suck.

Sums it up.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#28 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 am

jayjaysee wrote:Could Maxi or Bullock be turned into the piece that gets Brogdon? Stacking them to get to Lonzo maybe? Dallas has Green and a future 2nd or two they could still add. Their TPE is gone, so no fun moving around the cap.

If you can find a way to get Indy some savings and a contender's first for Maxi or Bullock, I think we'd move Brogdon. Lotto picks were never going to happen and that's in line with his value right now. If you can save Indy a roster spot too, that'd be super helpful though we don't have many other guys we'd like to get off of except maybe Buddy.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#29 » by Resistance » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:22 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Resistance wrote:Before I go too far on this, a preliminary questions.

I don’t think he’d be valued with THJ, Dinwiddie, and Bullock (and Green/Hardy)

And personally have no interest..

I had doubts about that, so that is why I asked rather than spend time on it and then get a No because of it being Oubre.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#30 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:35 am

pacers33granger wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Could Maxi or Bullock be turned into the piece that gets Brogdon? Stacking them to get to Lonzo maybe? Dallas has Green and a future 2nd or two they could still add. Their TPE is gone, so no fun moving around the cap.

If you can find a way to get Indy some savings and a contender's first for Maxi or Bullock, I think we'd move Brogdon. Lotto picks were never going to happen and that's in line with his value right now. If you can save Indy a roster spot too, that'd be super helpful though we don't have many other guys we'd like to get off of except maybe Buddy.

I’m still talking myself into it, but I do think playoff teams would pay a protected first for either of those guys.

Brooklyn and Maxi being the cleanest since they have that TPE.

Which goes with the “NY not needed”

Because if Dallas gets desperate enough to do this, Maxi goes to Philly, Powell+Phi first go to Indy, Brogdon goes to Dallas and Dallas desperately tries to sign a defensive bench big since we don’t have enough seconds left to give Indy for Goga..
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,011

Post#31 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:36 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

As a Knick fan, I think need to stop making trades with Dallas because we always lose.

We gave up Tyson Chandler as the value to dump Raymond Felton's contract even though we took back Jose Calderon who made like double the money and I believe had an extra year in the deal. Then we got the poo poo platter of a 2nd rd pick, Shane Larkin, ect.

When we traded KP, there had to have been a better package available at the time. The Knicks played the Mavs the night before and it was basically give away our best player night at the Garden.

I'm sure if we send Dallas the 55th pick in the draft for Brunson, the guy drafted #55 will be a hall of famer.

But your right, the Knicks will accommodate Dallas with a sign and trade to create a TPE for a token asset, just like they did with Boston last year.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#32 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:36 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Okay why not? My getting stupid option is Brunson to NY, Dinwiddie to Detroit(their fans were on board with taking him into space) and Russell to Dallas. Wolves then have a great big TPE to either make their move for a 3rd guy now or take back expiring role players.

I dont know if they still want dinwiddie after trading grant and drafting ivey

Piston fan is not interested in bringing back Dinwiddle. If you attach a 2023 first, we might listen. We just released Jackson who probably could get similar production in a backup role. The issue adding Spencer means to waive via allah Kemba. Detroit can just move on from this type of deal.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#33 » by Apz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 am

pacers33granger wrote:

Question is why mavs would add maxi or bullock to get an injury prone brogdon, when they have luka dinwiddie dragic frank hardy green thj bullock at the 1 and 2 spots? Might even forgotten someone.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#34 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:41 am

Apz wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Question is why mavs would add maxi or bullock to get an injury prone brogdon, when they have luka dinwiddie dragic frank hardy green thj bullock at the 1 and 2 spots? Might even forgotten someone.

Because Brogdon is the second best player in that list.

Right? I mean I’ve been a Dallas fan all my life and I would struggle to argument that.

And if THJ/Bullock are playing their minutes at the two? Do you have DFS as a 48 minute SF? Or do you just have Dallas with no forwards besides Maxi/DFS/Bertans? Did you see Dragic play last year?

If Bullock is a 2 in your mind, why wouldn’t you trade him for an upgrade at the 2?

Just some questions hoping for honest answers.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#35 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 am

I think Bullocks and maxi can fetch a first if you take back bad salary.. not if the return is a TPE
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,025

Post#36 » by BeiBeau » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:49 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Dallas isn't really desperate, but this does suck.

Sums it up.

Yeah the level of tampering/nepotism and kickbacks happening here is insane. Jalen and his agent are going to get a fortune from this and by extension Rick and Leon will get a good chunk of money too.
Texas Chuck

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 am

Godaddycurse wrote:I think Bullocks and maxi can fetch a first if you take back bad salary.. not if the return is a TPE

I mean every team is looking for 3&D wings and bigs who can switch the PNR and make 3's.

I can't imagine a good team wouldn't give up a non-lotto pick for them without feeling like they had to dump bad money.

I get these are role players. But there aren't enough of them to go around.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#38 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:59 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:I think Bullocks and maxi can fetch a first if you take back bad salary.. not if the return is a TPE

I mean every team is looking for 3&D wings and bigs who can switch the PNR and make 3's.

I can't imagine a good team wouldn't give up a non-lotto pick for them without feeling like they had to dump bad money.

by bad salary i dont mean multi year deals, but 1 year dead/useless filler *cough* bledsoe *cough*
Texas Chuck

Post#39 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:02 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

by bad salary i dont mean multi year deals, but 1 year dead/useless filler *cough* bledsoe *cough*

Then it just comes down to budget, right?

I think the Nets for instance would flip a Philly pick(increase the protections obviously) and take either guy into the TPE because either guy would play in their closing lineup over Claxton(Maxi) or Seth(Bullock) and money is unlikely a factor.

The Bucks would also love either guy to be in their closing 5, but would definitely want to move out money because money is a factor.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#40 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:03 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Yeah I think that’s fair. Brooklyn just doesn’t have any bad salary for that specific example. I know Realgm mostly thinks Harris is, but I don’t agree.

But Bledsoe only doesn’t work because I can’t see a team parting with a distant first for these guys. The variance isn’t worth it there. I thought about Little, but was afraid of the attachment factor we have with our young guys..

Return to Trades and Transactions