Cole Anthony to Dallas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Cole Anthony to Dallas 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am

Dallas trades: Josh Green, Dwight Powell, 2025 DAL 1st (1-10 protected thru 2028, then 2nd, conveys 2 years after DAL's obligation to NYK is met)
Orlando trades: Cole Anthony

Dallas gets a scoring guard that they can develop to replace some of what they lost with Brunson and generates a TPE. Orlando gets a 3+D wing and a future first.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Re: Cole Anthony to Dallas 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:07 pm

Not sure that .359 on one attempt per game = 3&D...but I did like Green coming in and I think Cole could very realistically be Brunson in a year with Luka being the clear initiator and reining in Anthony's overly bold playmaking. Cole would quickly learn the joy of a good open shot opportunity-something he never saw in ORL...On the other hand, ORL with Paolo and Franz could provide similar results, especially if Suggs doesn't show any shooting growth.

I think ORL passes as shooting is, IMO, critical for their two best players to flourish and Cole could end up being the starting 2 (or even 1) if noone else shows they can shoot. Value is good, but maybe ORL has better options for their cap and trade pieces than this offer.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#3 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:24 pm

Not enough for Orlando to consider.

Powell is a bad contract and Cole could be competing for a starting spot this season.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#4 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:59 pm

not seeing a lot of difference between Green and Hampton. both still very raw, both in same draft. so its Cole for Powell/1st. i guess if they feel they HAVE to move Cole its okay. Mosely obviously knows the Dallas players and would know if he can use their strengths. Not the first trade i would pull the trigger on, but it isnt horrible
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,493

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:17 pm

I wouldn’t want to tie up future firsts for Cole Anthony.

I don’t think he’s as bad as many do here, but he’s not worth the opportunity cost.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,164

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:42 pm

Cole is young and could improve, but right now, he has take a flier on a young guy value. The Magic would be lucky to get a second for him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,825

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:47 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I wouldn’t want to tie up future firsts for Cole Anthony.

I don’t think he’s as bad as many do here, but he’s not worth the opportunity cost.

echoing this. I don't mind the player but I want Dallas to save the potential volume package for something bigger.

For the Magic, its do they believe Anthony is core. If so decline this as they get nothing great. If not, then keep rolling over assets like this so that when their talented kids are ready to win in 2 or 3 years they have more pieces to use to add.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#8 » by orlando_joe » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Cole is young and could improve, but right now, he has take a flier on a young guy value. The Magic would be lucky to get a second for him.

sure check the list of players on rookie deals or even under 25 that got 16/5/5 or better and let me know who can be had for a 2nd....please...i am sure magic would like to trade for everyone
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#9 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:08 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Cole is young and could improve, but right now, he has take a flier on a young guy value. The Magic would be lucky to get a second for him.

sure check the list of players on rookie deals or even under 25 that got 16/5/5 or better and let me know who can be had for a 2nd....please...i am sure magic would like to trade for everyone

sure his box score numbers look good but the dude is a chucker and it's obvious.

There's nothing super special about 39% FG, 33% from 3, with an eFG% of 46 for a small guard who isn't a good defender. Cole's ceiling is a 6th man microwave who if matures can run an offense and not be a net negative.

i will agree he's worth more than a few 2nds that's laughable valuation
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#10 » by Skybox » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:09 pm

Sorry. That's ridiculous...he has outplayed his draft spot. The only thing wrong with him is efficiency...which may come with age and, especially, with a teammate he believes is a better player than he is. I think it could be argued that he's been the best player on every team he's ever been on (at least in his head) and, generally, the best shot for him to take is HIS.

I'm not calling him an All-Star, but he's a solid rotation player with pretty big upside. He will, at the very least, be someone's microwave scorer off the bench. Hopefully, ORL's.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm

orlando_joe wrote:

He's inefficient and can't defend a chair. Honestly, the most impressive thing about his second season was the jump in the his assist numbers. At least he can serve as a backup PG in the NBA. But, and this part is important, if he cannot improve his efficiency, then he has to cut back on his field goal attempts and lean into his play making more. No one is going to be impressed by 16 ppg if the player needs 14 attempts to get there.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by orlando_joe » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:16 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

sure his box score numbers look good but the dude is a chucker and it's obvious.

There's nothing super special about 39% FG, 33% from 3, with an eFG% of 46 for a small guard who isn't a good defender. Cole's ceiling is a 6th man microwave who if matures can run an offense and not be a net negative.

i will agree he's worth more than a few 2nds that's laughable valuation

he has played 100 games and played thru some minor injurys and is 22 with 2 yrs left on rookie deal super hard worker ..i see his shot getting better its not broke at all
you said lucky to get a 2nd.. lucky?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by orlando_joe » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

He's inefficient and can't defend a chair. Honestly, the most impressive thing about his second season was the jump in the his assist numbers. At least he can serve as a backup PG in the NBA. But, and this part is important, if he cannot improve his efficiency, then he has to cut back on his field goal attempts and lean into his play making more. No one is going to be impressed by 16 ppg if the player needs 14 attempts to get there.

garland took 15 shots to get 17 in his 2nd yr. half the boards and about same asist on more min..you got him worth a 2nd...even shorter
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,825

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:32 pm

I think Anthony's efficiency likely comes as he slides into a more suitable role and plays with better offensive players. Orlando just hasn't had any offensive players that worry defenses since they traded away Vuc. Hard to be efficient in that environment.

I definitely think he's worth something. Dallas just doesn't have the right assets at this point.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:41 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:sure check the list of players on rookie deals or even under 25 that got 16/5/5 or better and let me know who can be had for a 2nd....please...i am sure magic would like to trade for everyone

garland took 15 shots to get 17 in his 2nd yr. half the boards and about same asist on more min..you got him worth a 2nd...even shorter

Garland's FG% jumped from 40% to 45% between his first and second year. Anthony has yet to break 40%. Garland's 3p% jumped from .355 to .395 on 5 attempts per game. Anthony's went from .337 to .338 while *improving* the number of attempts to 2 per game. Garland actually averaged 17.4 ppg on just a hair under 15 attempts per game. Garland had more assists, while sharing a back court with Sexton who averaged 18.3 FGA per game. You're comparing a player who showed tremendous growth between years one and two to a player who showed a little growth on the playmaking front.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by orlando_joe » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Garland's FG% jumped from 40% to 45% between his first and second year. Anthony has yet to break 40%. Garland's 3p% jumped from .355 to .395 on 5 attempts per game. Anthony's went from .337 to .338 while *improving* the number of attempts to 2 per game. Garland actually averaged 17.4 ppg on just a hair under 15 attempts per game. Garland had more assists, while sharing a back court with Sexton who averaged 18.3 FGA per game. You're comparing a player who showed tremendous growth between years one and two to a player who showed a little growth on the playmaking front.

i did not mean to say cole better right now ..you put no one wants a guy that took 14 to get 16...and i pointed out that garland in 2nd yr took 15 to 17 was close? ...but i get it ...just the lucky to get a 2nd thing ..had to point it out..lol..
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:06 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:garland took 15 shots to get 17 in his 2nd yr. half the boards and about same asist on more min..you got him worth a 2nd...even shorter

i did not mean to say cole better right now ..you put no one wants a guy that took 14 to get 16...and i pointed out that garland in 2nd yr took 15 to 17 was close? ...but i get it ...just the lucky to get a 2nd thing ..had to point it out..lol..

I started this by saying that Cole is young and can still improve and that he has a place in the NBA as a backup PG. I also like to give guys on their rookie contracts three full seasons. If Cole plays even 15 mpg with Banchero that should be worth a couple of assists. But really, the Magic have to get through to him that his best role in the NBA is not as a high usage shooter, at least not unless he can improve his efficiency, and that's easier said than done with young guys who see how much scorers get paid.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#18 » by Apz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:22 pm

There is no way mavs spends a 1st on a guard. Think they will develop hardy over using a 1st tp trade for soneone to develop.

Mavs is saving their 1sts for someone that actually make a difference

Return to Trades and Transactions