Noel to Raptors

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Noel to Raptors 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:16 pm

Ill offer this follow up idea for:
-Pistons to continue accumulating picks while taking on marginal salary for 2023-24
-Raptors free up roster spot and 2023-24 money while adding more rim protection/size in frontcourt

To Detroit
-Khem Birch (2 years, $13.7 million)
-Svi Mykhaliuk (1 year, $1.9 million)
-2025 2nd round pick (31-40 protected)
-2027 2nd round pick

To Raptors
-Nerlens Noel (1 year, $9.2 million)

Why?
-Pistons swap Noel for Birch and add a 3rd wing in Mykhaliuk while getting back a distant 2nds for monty they take on. Birch can play minutes behind Stewart while Duren develops this season and likely be pushed to 3rd on depth chart for next season. Birch makes $7 million for 2023-24 which doesn't really effect their cap situation too much given money coming off books/rookie contracts in place

Cunningham/Joseph/Lee
Ivey/Diallo/Hayes
Bey/Burks/Mykhaliuk
Bagley/Olynyk/Livers
Stewart/Birch/Duren

Buyout: Walker

-Raptors add Noel who gives them more length in frontcourt and rim protection while they create more immediate roster space if they want to spend exemption money on a backup SG (Gary Harris :)). Ill assume they move on from Young but re-sign Boucher. to have full MLE at their disposal.

FVV/Flynn/Benton
Trent/FA?/Brooks
Anunoby/Barnes/FA?
Siakam/Achiwura/Watanabe?
Noel/Boucher?/Koloko
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Re: Noel to Raptors 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm

I feel like Detroit is owed more here. Noel is better and has a shorter deal. A couple seconds a few years off (especially protected) doesn’t close that gap.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,429

Post#3 » by oldncreaky » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:55 pm

No for Toronto, especially if they bring back Young and Boucher as expected, because I don't think Noel would be in their top 9 in minutes played, and there is no reason to use assets to move off Birch when Toronto is not a taxpayer
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:06 pm

oldncreaky wrote:No for Toronto, especially if they bring back Young and Boucher as expected, because I don't think Noel would be in their top 9 in minutes played, and there is no reason to use assets to move off Birch when Toronto is not a taxpayer

Sure, if Raps retain both Boucher AND Young, this deal doesn't make much sense. If they acquire Noel, they could let Boucher walk, give Young $8ish million/year on a multi year deal and spend the full MLE on a backup SG over multiple years. I just think Raps would be prudent in not giving Boucher 3-4 years, Young 3 years and a backup SG 3 years. This provides some flexibility against that.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,429

Post#5 » by oldncreaky » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:22 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
oldncreaky wrote:No for Toronto, especially if they bring back Young and Boucher as expected, because I don't think Noel would be in their top 9 in minutes played, and there is no reason to use assets to move off Birch when Toronto is not a taxpayer

Sure, if Raps retain both Boucher AND Young, this deal doesn't make much sense. If they acquire Noel, they could let Boucher walk, give Young $8ish million/year on a multi year deal and spend the full MLE on a backup SG over multiple years. I just think Raps would be prudent in not giving Boucher 3-4 years, Young 3 years and a backup SG 3 years. This provides some flexibility against that.

Rather have Boucher than Noel. Similar level of player, but Boucher is a known fit and is good in his bench role.

Raps have $33M in space, enough to bring back Boucher @ 3yrs $34M, Young at 2yrs/16M, use the full MLE on a guard, and still have a 2-3 million in wiggle room if they want to cut Svi for a rookie FA.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#6 » by Parataxis » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:41 pm

This is what it comes down to. Raps aren't in tax trouble yet (and it doesn't seem likely they'll get there this offseason) and any trades are going to be able quality and fit, rather than cutting salary. I don't think it really benefits them to give up assets to move deckchairs.

Return to Trades and Transactions