OKC - Toronto - Dallas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,826

OKC - Toronto - Dallas 

Post#1 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 21, 2024 1:21 am

Borrowing from Chuck and Jay's recent run of making space for DJJ trades

Dallas trade: THJ, Prosper, MIA 2028 2nd
Dallas receive: Kenrich Williams

OKC trade: Kenrich Williams, GSW 2026 2nd
OKC receive: Olynyk

Toronto trade: Olynyk
Toronto receive: THJ, Prosper, GSW 2026 2nd, MIA 2028 2nd

Why for Dallas: free up money for DJJ, add a backup 3/4
Why for OKC: add a better stretch big for their bench
Why for Toronto: Add a prospect and 2nds for rebuild
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,439

Re: OKC - Toronto - Dallas 

Post#2 » by BeiBeau » Tue May 21, 2024 1:24 am

A 12 million dollar salary dump is a bit over kill.

It’s a bit expensive for Dallas but it’s fine. I am still an OMax believer so it hurts to do this.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 91,439

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 21, 2024 1:25 am

Feels like too much for Olynyk considering our other threads, no? I still do it for Dallas if Jones is agreed to an MLE deal but its an overpay without that. I think OKC should aim higher. They have a stretch big backup now. They need something else.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 21, 2024 1:27 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Feels like too much for Olynyk considering our other threads, no? I still do it for Dallas if Jones is agreed to an MLE deal but its an overpay without that. I think OKC should aim higher. They have a stretch big backup now. They need something else.

Olynyk is an upgrade over jaylin williams imo. They still have tons of ammo to add an impact starter. Kenrich didnt crack their playoff rotation, Olynyk would.

From your thread I changed the TOR 2025 2nd into MIA 2028 2nd for Dallas. I have TOR 2025 2nd > GSW 2026 + MIA 2028 2nd.. Maybe remove MIA 2nd altogether? I just like the fit of Kenrich on Dallas better than Olynyk and Olynyk would look good in OKC imo
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 21, 2024 1:29 am

BeiBeau wrote:A 12 million dollar salary dump is a bit over kill.

It’s a bit expensive for Dallas but it’s fine. I am still an OMax believer so it hurts to do this.

I think this opens up the bi-annual for you to use too
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,181

Post#6 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 21, 2024 1:32 am

Very heavily slanted in Toronto's favor. Is this KO even the best KO in the league? Debatable, and that proves he's not worth a recent first and potentially highb2nd
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 21, 2024 1:33 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Feels like too much for Olynyk considering our other threads, no? I still do it for Dallas if Jones is agreed to an MLE deal but its an overpay without that. I think OKC should aim higher. They have a stretch big backup now. They need something else.

Olynyk is an upgrade over jaylin williams imo. They still have tons of ammo to add an impact starter. Kenrich didnt crack their playoff rotation, Olynyk would.

From your thread I changed the TOR 2025 2nd into MIA 2028 2nd for Dallas. I have TOR 2025 2nd > GSW 2026 + MIA 2028 2nd.. Maybe remove MIA 2nd altogether? I just like the fit of Kenrich on Dallas better than Olynyk and Olynyk would look good in OKC imo

He might be better. By next year he might not though. I don't think he really changes much for them.

But I'm always okay with Kenrich to Dallas as a end of rotation piece of course.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 21, 2024 1:34 am

daoneandonly wrote:Very heavily slanted in Toronto's favor. Is this KO even the best KO in the league? Debatable, and that proves he's not worth a recent first and potentially highb2nd

Oh much of what Dallas pays here is about clearing THJ's money to open up the full MLE. He's not claiming Olynyk alone is worth all of that. He's making Dallas pay for a salary dump.

To me where it falls apart is with OKC. The Dallas part is a small overpay but one Dallas should make if it means retaining Jones.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#9 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 21, 2024 1:44 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Very heavily slanted in Toronto's favor. Is this KO even the best KO in the league? Debatable, and that proves he's not worth a recent first and potentially highb2nd

Oh much of what Dallas pays here is about clearing THJ's money to open up the full MLE. He's not claiming Olynyk alone is worth all of that. He's making Dallas pay for a salary dump.

To me where it falls apart is with OKC. The Dallas part is a small overpay but one Dallas should make if it means retaining Jones.

Yea but THJ is not an albatross. He's expiring and still has a role in this league. Shouldn't take Omax and a pick to sweeten it. Nor should both going to the team unloading the worst overall package
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#10 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 21, 2024 1:50 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Yea but THJ is not an albatross. He's expiring and still has a role in this league. Shouldn't take Omax and a pick to sweeten it. Nor should both going to the team unloading the worst overall package

jayjaysee wrote:Kenrich…

Dallas: THJ, 2025 Toronto 2nd, 2028 Miami 2nd
Dallas: Kenrich

I had OMax and the 2025 TOR 2nd worth similarly, if you want to swap it back to Jay's original valuation i'm good with that too tbh. I figure Dallas has no need/minutes for OMax if they take on Kenrich so i swapped him in for the 2025 2nd

I thought Olynyk is worth more than Kenrich or at least to OKC he would be, but maybe i'm off on that one
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,439

Post#11 » by BeiBeau » Tue May 21, 2024 2:33 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I had OMax and the 2025 TOR 2nd worth similarly, if you want to swap it back to Jay's original valuation i'm good with that too tbh. I figure Dallas has no need/minutes for OMax if they take on Kenrich so i swapped him in for the 2025 2nd

I thought Olynyk is worth more than Kenrich or at least to OKC he would be, but maybe i'm off on that one

I like OMax as a player more then what we’re likely to get out of the 2025 Tor 2nd. But it’s a nice piece for an upgrade so asset wise it’s better. Tough to say which Dallas should sell 1st.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,703

Post#12 » by Devilanche » Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 am

Too much value for Toronto
Dallas - keep Omax if they value him as positive
Toronto - shouldn’t get a 2nd outright from OKC. So get to pick swap with OKC with higher 2nd going to Toronto obviously. Ties this in with Bruce brown trade if required.
OKC - indifferent if this is only costing us a few spot down in the second and this is not our sole roster upgrade.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 22, 2024 6:59 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I dont think KO at his # is worth more than Kenrich. Even if he is, Dallas should not have to pay the extras for it. I know THJ is paid more, but shorter contract than KO and THJ still has utility.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,869

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 22, 2024 8:16 pm

I think Toronto is definitely getting overpaid here a small bit by both teams. But not enough that either team walks away, assuming DJJ is getting locked up.

I think Dallas might force it to be the second and not Prosper. Prosper shouldn’t hold value around league, but he is a big body wing that shot the three well enough. Think Dallas should hold onto him over a good projected 2nd, and Toronto should not push the issue since Prosper really only showed he’s very raw and can put up stats against not-NBA players..

The timing issue probably really matters here, though?

OKC is going to want to do this last, upgrade their third big after using their cap space and upgrading their starting forward/big. This is sacrificing 6 million of cap space for free..

Dallas is going to need to do this quick unless DJJ is willing to wait it out..

But maybe DJJ and Dallas have the agreement to wait or maybe Presti uses his cap space at the draft, o PG signs at midnight etc..
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,612

Post#15 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed May 22, 2024 10:19 pm

Devilanche wrote:Too much value for Toronto
Toronto - shouldn’t get a 2nd outright from OKC. So get to pick swap with OKC with higher 2nd going to Toronto obviously. Ties this in with Bruce brown trade if required.
OKC - indifferent if this is only costing us a few spot down in the second and this is not our sole roster upgrade.

In six months you'll be wishing the roster upgrade had been this significant. Draft a rookie. Absorb a bad contract for a 2nd round pick or two to replace Hayward and that is your big Presti off-season. "We will be focusing on internal development."
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,703

Post#16 » by Devilanche » Wed May 22, 2024 11:55 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Too much value for Toronto

In six months you'll be wishing the roster upgrade had been this significant. Draft a rookie. Absorb a bad contract for a 2nd round pick or two to replace Hayward and that is your big Presti off-season. "We will be focusing on internal development."

Hey, let me dream until offseason is over.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#17 » by islandboy53 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:58 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Borrowing from Chuck and Jay's recent run of making space for DJJ trades

Dallas trade: THJ, Prosper, MIA 2028 2nd
Dallas receive: Kenrich Williams

OKC trade: Kenrich Williams, GSW 2026 2nd
OKC receive: Olynyk

Toronto trade: Olynyk
Toronto receive: THJ, Prosper, GSW 2026 2nd, MIA 2028 2nd

Why for Dallas: free up money for DJJ, add a backup 3/4
Why for OKC: add a better stretch big for their bench
Why for Toronto: Add a prospect and 2nds for rebuild

Let's make this simpler. I'm sure it's been thrown out in response to other "make space for DJJ" trades, but here goes. I think OKC would rather keep Kenrich, and find a big in FA using their cap space. I also think Toronto wants to keep Olynyk, so let's just leave OKC out, and make it a simpler 2 team deal. Dallas sends out THJ, Powell, and Toronto's 25 2nd for Boucher. The Mavericks get a depth big on an expiring salary and, more importantly, $9.3 million in additional salary room. Toronto gets a 2nd for taking on Powell's 2 years and generating the space. In effect, the trade becomes THJ, Powell, Toronto 25 2nd for DJJ and Boucher.

With all that said, that may not be enough extra room. Spotrac currently has Dallas just $3 million above the 1st apron (McGee's remaining $2.2 million dead cap and $2.5 million in unlikely incentives are added to the roster cap for this calculation). Toronto could substitute McDaniels and a signed & traded Nwora to squeeze out an extra $2 million, and send OMax or Exum to generate another $3 million, but, ideally, Dallas needs to find someone to take THJ into space, and, frankly, I don't see any of the teams with the necessary cap space doing that (I'm assuming Toronto operates over the cap). It's really not looking good for Dallas to retain DJJ.

Return to Trades and Transactions