OKC-DET

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, BullyKing, MoneyTalks41890, Trader_Joe

HadAnEffectHere
Starter
And1: 1,063

OKC-DET 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 5:33 pm

OKC gets: Ausar Thompson, #5
DET gets: Cason Wallace, #12

Detroit adds desperately needed shooting and a guy with Jrue upside in my view. OKC adds an elite defender and rebounder who basically answers the question "what if Josh Giddey couldn't shoot at all but was much better otherwise" and badly needs to play next to Chet.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Re: OKC-DET 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm

Uhh...Can't see it for Detroit, at all.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,830

Post#3 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:37 pm

I love Cason but I'm not sure he's worth more than Ausar.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#4 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Colbinii wrote:Uhh...Can't see it for Detroit, at all.

Ausar is going to bust in Detroit, he just can't play on a team without four elite shooters next to him.

Cason can play on any team.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,796

Post#5 » by Devilanche » Tue May 21, 2024 5:40 pm

I think ausar has higher value on the defensive side of the game but cason should be an easier fit going forward given his 3 point shot.

Value should be towards Ausar for now cause his 3 point shooting was a known issue at draft point and he was drafted with the idea that’s it’s probably fixable.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.

meekrab wrote:Nothing Jerry Rein$dorf loves more than a visit from Cash Considerations.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Tue May 21, 2024 5:41 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I love Cason but I'm not sure he's worth more than Ausar.

And if he is in a vacuum, I doubt Detroit values him as such. There is just no way after 1 year they change their analysis, Ausar was better than many thought he would be.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#7 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 5:42 pm

Devilanche wrote:I think ausar has higher value on the defensive side of the game but cason should be an easier fit going forward given his 3 point shot.

Value should be towards Ausar for now cause his 3 point shooting was a known issue at draft point and he was drafted with the idea that’s it’s probably fixable.

I mean, this was the theory, but Ausar then turned in a historically bad shooting season of 19% from three and 60% from the line.

He didn't show any improvement, he showed massive regression.

He's now clearly a guy who needs to play next to four high level perimeter threats to see the court.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#8 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 5:43 pm

Colbinii wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I love Cason but I'm not sure he's worth more than Ausar.

And if he is in a vacuum, I doubt Detroit values him as such. There is just no way after 1 year they change their analysis, Ausar was better than many thought he would be.

1. The Pistons are changing their front office
2. The Pistons just had the worst losing streak in sports history due to how bad their spacing was
3. The Pistons have no path to surrounding Ausar with shooters
4. Ausar just shot 19% from three with people thinking he was more like a 28-32% three point shooter pre-draft.
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 602

Post#9 » by DrModesty » Tue May 21, 2024 5:46 pm

This trade doesn't really make sense. Ausar at this point looks like he'd be total death to OKC's offense in the playoffs, while Cason found a consistent role. On the other hand, I agree with others that Ausar probably retains more value than Cason at this stage. Definitely needs a third team who will give up a more playoff ready guy to OKC. But to give up Wallace, and for the third team to acquire Ausar, that player would have to be pretty damn good.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Devilanche » Tue May 21, 2024 5:49 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think ausar has higher value on the defensive side of the game but cason should be an easier fit going forward given his 3 point shot.

I mean, this was the theory, but Ausar then turned in a historically bad shooting season of 19% from three and 60% from the line.

He's now clearly a guy who needs to play next to four high level perimeter threats to see the court.

Relax, it has only been 1 season since he was drafted.

If you give up on people this fast in their development , why even bother drafting any rookies with weaknesses.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.

meekrab wrote:Nothing Jerry Rein$dorf loves more than a visit from Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#11 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 pm

Devilanche wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

If you give up on people this fast in their development , why even bother drafting any rookies with weaknesses.

I mean, this is almost certainly unfixable which is why I was always against the Ausar pick. Ausar has worked ridiculously hard to fix his jumpshot over the last four years and has worked tons with Mike Miller and shot 19% from three this year.

Troy Weaver thought it was fixable, but he's almost certainly wrong. Any minute Ausar plays with a traditional center chokes Detroit's offense and badly limits Cade and causes them to be really really bad.

This isn't like "oh, Chet's handle is loose right now so he can't drive that well against elite defenders" this is "a guy has tried extremely hard to learn skill required to play his position in the NBA and has completely failed and now he needs to play with Chet/Embiid/Jokic/Porzingis/Wemby or else he will never be a winning player"

(This is also why the Rockets situation with Amen and Sengun is about to be extremely dicey)
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Devilanche » Tue May 21, 2024 6:02 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I mean, this is almost certainly unfixable which is why I was always against the Ausar pick. Ausar has worked ridiculously hard to fix his jumpshot over the last four years and has worked tons with Mike Miller and shot 19% from three this year.

Troy Weaver thought it was fixable, but he's almost certainly wrong. Any minute Ausar plays with a traditional center chokes Detroit's offense and badly limits Cade and causes them to be really really bad.

This isn't like "oh, Chet's handle is loose right now so he can't drive that well against elite defenders" this is "a guy has tried extremely hard to learn skill required to play his position in the NBA and has completely failed and now he needs to play with Chet/Embiid/Jokic/Porzingis/Wemby or else he will never be a winning player"

(This is also why the Rockets situation with Amen and Sengun is about to be extremely dicey)

Well , I don’t think weaver is right on most count .

So in this scenario , it’s probably only probably if weaver is replaced and even then OKC probably value the better shooter more given where we are in terms of development.

Would spurs take a chance that they can fix Ausar shooting? What do they have to offer in return ?

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#13 » by theBigLip » Tue May 21, 2024 6:39 pm

Harsh on Ausar. He is elite on D, DPOY kind of talent. Teams can always use that.

Is his shot fixable? We shall see. Didn’t even play a full season.

That being said, I love Wallace. Wanted the Pistons to get him and Hendricks in the draft.
Mr Peanut
Veteran
And1: 2,836

Post#14 » by Mr Peanut » Wed May 22, 2024 12:20 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

You're showing some bias towards Ausar.

He shot 19% from three on the season but he showed clear improvement in the past couple of months, especially with the corner three.

February - 29.4% on 1.5 attempts
March - 25% on 4 attempts

Those aren't groundbreaking numbers but a step in the right direction. He's showed massive defensive potential and is already a fantastic rebounder. Those are guys you don't give up on after their rookie season, and certainly not for Cason Wallace.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#15 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

He shot 19% from three on the season but he showed clear improvement in the past couple of months, especially with the corner three.

Those aren't groundbreaking numbers but a step in the right direction. He's showed massive defensive potential and is already a fantastic rebounder. Those are guys you don't give up on after their rookie season, and certainly not for Cason Wallace.

Your main point of evidence in favor of Ausar is that he shot 25% from three for one month.

It's never ever ever ever ever ever going to happen.

He's worked so hard and achieved no results.

He needs to play next to a center who demands attention on the perimeter.

The Pistons have no path to getting one of those guys.
Mr Peanut
Veteran
And1: 2,836

Post#16 » by Mr Peanut » Wed May 22, 2024 12:32 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Your main point of evidence in favor of Ausar is that he shot 25% from three for one month.

It's never ever ever ever ever ever going to happen.

He's worked so hard and achieved no results.

He needs to play next to a center who demands attention on the perimeter.

The Pistons have no path to getting one of those guys.

It's evidence of progress in the right direction. Obviously it's not saying he's even a passable three point shooter; he has a long way to go before that. But putting a ceiling on a 21y/o rookie and saying he will never develop a three point shot is somewhat egregious, as we know a lot of NBA players take time to refine their outside shot.

If you think the above trade is fair value then that's fine, you can believe that. But no Pistons FO or Pistons fan would agree with you as we've seen what Ausar can do and his potential, and trading that for a worse player (and a worse draft pick) would be ludicrous.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#17 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 12:47 am

Ausar has worked for the last three years nonstop with professional shooting coaches and put up Shaq numbers on shooting this year.

It's not happening.

For your sake, I hope the Pistons' new front office people don't have the same optimism. You're going to lose 55+ games per year every year Ausar is there next to a traditional center who isn't a threat from the perimeter.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 22,229

Post#18 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 22, 2024 1:40 am

No chance
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,268

Post#19 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 22, 2024 8:57 am

Don't see the rationale for Detroit. Ausar is the better player and 5 is the better pick
Deuteronomy 30:19 wrote:I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live
Billl
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,674

Post#20 » by Billl » Wed May 22, 2024 1:52 pm

LOL, no. Wallace + #12 would be an offer for Ausar OR #5 that Detroit would consider. That's not even close as proposed though.

Return to Trades and Transactions