Memphis - Toronto: another crack at Poeltl

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,815

Memphis - Toronto: another crack at Poeltl 

Post#1 » by MessiahUjiri » Wed May 22, 2024 2:30 am

So…Memphis needs a C to spell JJJ, and they don’t have cap space to sign anyone good. Since they dropped back in the draft, the #9 is unlikely to yield a star player this year, and they’re built to win now. The idea here is to move back 10 slots and pickup a starting C.

For Toronto, they overpaid for Poeltl, but let’s assume they want to tank. Moving Poeltl is one of the easier ways to lose some close games. This also assumes they like someone around #9.

Jak Poeltl, #19
for
Luke Kennard, #9, one of the young forwards (Ziare / Aldama / LaRavia)

Morant / Rose
Smart / Konchar
Bane / V Williams / Zaire?
JJJ / B Clarke / Aldama
Poeltl / GG / (JJ)

Add #19.

There’s a lot of positional versatility there.

That’s a pretty tough team with an MVP contender, 2 DPOY, a borderline AS, and one of the better Cs. It kinda looks like the Timberwolves formula from this year.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,742

Re: Memphis - Toronto: another crack at Poeltl 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Wed May 22, 2024 2:31 am

you did this for 7 and i dont think them dropping back 2 spots change the calculus at all
psman2
General Manager
And1: 5,035

Post#3 » by psman2 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:27 am

I will just say that I don't think Poeltl is a great fit for us and his contract would make avoiding the tax tough, but if our desired targets are off the board at #9 then this wouldn't be the worst trade.

For Memphis I have the lottery failing off a tier at either 10/11 (Cody Williams just not sure about yet and Castle maybe forcing his way to a PG needy team?) so I think we will still have good shot at 2 or more players that are high on our board. But there are a few interesting project centers that might be there at 19 so there is some intrigue there.

I think if this was to happen we are likely going to change up the matching money. We likely release Kennard (maybe bring him back cheaper) and trade Zaire/Konchar/Rose as the matching money here. Still leaves us in the tax but gives us the ability to spend about 8 million of the MLE and two vet mins and stay under the apron. Kennard can still be left in if Toronto wants to take in more money depending on what they end up doing with Brown.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,815

Post#4 » by MessiahUjiri » Wed May 22, 2024 5:27 am

psman2 wrote:I will just say that I don't think Poeltl is a great fit for us and his contract would make avoiding the tax tough, but if our desired targets are off the board at #9 then this wouldn't be the worst trade.

For Memphis I have the lottery failing off a tier at either 10/11 (Cody Williams just not sure about yet and Castle maybe forcing his way to a PG needy team?) so I think we will still have good shot at 2 or more players that are high on our board. But there are a few interesting project centers that might be there at 19 so there is some intrigue there.

I think if this was to happen we are likely going to change up the matching money. We likely release Kennard (maybe bring him back cheaper) and trade Zaire/Konchar/Rose as the matching money here. Still leaves us in the tax but gives us the ability to spend about 8 million of the MLE and two vet mins and stay under the apron. Kennard can still be left in if Toronto wants to take in more money depending on what they end up doing with Brown.

Yeah if freeing up the nontax MLE is the objective for Memphis, they can just decline Kennard and send out different salary:

#9, Brandon Clark and Ziaire Williams
for
Jak Poeltl, #19

Clarke and Ziaire both barely played 20MPG. Clarke has been made replaceable by their glut of young forwards, and it doesn’t look like Memphis wants to enter the tax to resign Ziaire.

They can duck the tax and sign a forward for the full MLE, as part of a championship seeking season.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 266

Post#5 » by QMemphis » Wed May 22, 2024 5:28 am

psman2 wrote:I will just say that I don't think Poeltl is a great fit for us and his contract would make avoiding the tax tough, but if our desired targets are off the board at #9 then this wouldn't be the worst trade.

I don’t see us moving #9 for Poeltl he is on the same level as Capela which is the average center now, but locked into a longer more expensive deal. Deal would be Luke/Konchar/Ziaire/25 1st and maybe Santi for Poeltl.
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 257

Post#6 » by balsamic_ducks » Wed May 22, 2024 6:13 am

QMemphis wrote:

I don’t see us moving #9 for Poeltl he is on the same level as Capela which is the average center now, but locked into a longer more expensive deal. Deal would be Luke/Konchar/Ziaire/25 1st and maybe Santi for Poeltl.

Agreed. Capela can give you 90% of what Poeltl does but would only cost a 2nd or two. Memphis would be much better off trading for capela and drafting at 9 or trading it for a better player than Poeltl
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#7 » by esvl » Wed May 22, 2024 7:44 am

I don’t believe there is any interest in Poeltl from Memphis regardless of cost. He cannot finish and lacks the strength two important skills necessary in PO battles.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 5,035

Post#8 » by psman2 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:31 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:

Yeah if freeing up the nontax MLE is the objective for Memphis, they can just decline Kennard and send out different salary:

#9, Brandon Clark and Ziaire Williams
for
Jak Poeltl, #19

Clarke and Ziaire both barely played 20MPG. Clarke has been made replaceable by their glut of young forwards, and it doesn’t look like Memphis wants to enter the tax to resign Ziaire.

They can duck the tax and sign a forward for the full MLE, as part of a championship seeking season.

Clarke is not someone we want to get off on. Even if we made this trade he is still a 20-25 minute player for us.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 91,088

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 22, 2024 1:32 pm

QMemphis wrote:I don’t see us moving #9 for Poeltl he is on the same level as Capela which is the average center now,.

Yeah this is really the problem. Maybe he's slightly better than Capela, but not enough to matter. And Capela could be had without trading their lotto pick.

The problem we have unfortunately is Toronto made a bad trade(most non-Raptors fans said this at the time), compounded it by giving him a big new contract, then had a WCS happen with the pick they gave up and those posters who don't understand sunk costs expect other teams to bail them out of their two mistakes.

There are just cheaper options for this kind of player. And if Memphis thought big physical defensive center was crucial, they simply keep the cheaper, known Adams.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,483

Post#10 » by Asif16 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:25 pm

esvl wrote:I don’t believe there is any interest in Poeltl from Memphis regardless of cost. He cannot finish and lacks the strength two important skills necessary in PO battles.

Not sure I agree with this. His completion % around the basket is one of the best in the league. Poetl is underrated with the way he's being talked about

But I understand why he wouldn't be a fit for Memphis
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,093

Post#11 » by mg » Wed May 22, 2024 3:43 pm

balsamic_ducks wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Agreed. Capela can give you 90% of what Poeltl does but would only cost a 2nd or two. Memphis would be much better off trading for capela and drafting at 9 or trading it for a better player than Poeltl

Believe me Capela is on his very last leg. I watched quite a bit of the Hawks last season and they would love to just give him away at this point. If you are a team like Memphis I'd spend the pick and get someone still in their prime such as Poeltl or maybe even try for a younger guy in Kessler still on a rookie deal who can play next to JJJ for the next half decade.

Return to Trades and Transactions