Nets = Cavs: Four Players, Five Picks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SkyHook
Analyst
And1: 1,883

Nets = Cavs: Four Players, Five Picks 

Post#1 » by SkyHook » Wed May 22, 2024 3:26 pm

If Mitchell declines extension with the Cavs, but is open to an extend and trade to a preferred destination ... making such a deal as simple and straightforward as possible.

Simmons + Thomas + Phoenix FRPs (25-27-29) + 27 FRP (PHI), for

Mitchell (E+T) + Niang + 26 FRP (worst of CLE, MIN, UTA—to satisfy Stepien rule)

Nets acquire a top ten player, the scarcest resource in the league.

Cavs make the best of the situation by getting a young scorer and replenishing their cache of picks.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless.
But I still cling to hope and I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me.

— Faithless by Rush (lyrics. Neil Peart)
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 334

Re: Nets = Cavs: Four Players, Five Picks 

Post#2 » by JKiddy » Wed May 22, 2024 3:37 pm

The Nets would just wait until 2025 to sign Mitchell if he was ready to come to BK and sign an extension now.

This essentially be mortgaged the entire future of their franchise for one player alone and they wouldn't do that anymore. They have learned the hard lesson.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,095

Post#3 » by mg » Wed May 22, 2024 3:38 pm

Those PHX picks have real value but the Cavs would need a "win now" player in return. Maybe send that package to a 3rd team for a Lauri type (or whoever) that can be routed to CLE.

With that said all the signals seem to point to Donovan resigning his extension this offseason which means he's likely not the one getting traded out of Cleveland.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#4 » by DowJones » Wed May 22, 2024 3:50 pm

Cleveland would need Cam Johnson and DFS as part of the return and Brooklyn can keep the 2025 PHX first and the Dallas 1st. I think that is a good balance for both sides. Cleveland gets a few wings that fit in well with their current roster and Brooklyn gets to keep a few of those draft picks that they can package later for a different player.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#5 » by DowJones » Wed May 22, 2024 3:54 pm

JKiddy wrote:The Nets would just wait until 2025 to sign Mitchell if he was ready to come to BK and sign an extension now.

This essentially be mortgaged the entire future of their franchise for one player alone and they wouldn't do that anymore. They have learned the hard lesson.

If the Nets drop out then Cleveland can trade him to a team like Houston, LA, or Miami. Heck, the Cavs could trade him to the Knicks closer to the trade deadline and possibly get OG back. The ultimate scenario for Brooklyn is for Mitchell to just say "I am going to Brooklyn in 2025 no matter what", but that doesn't appear to be where things are going. That means Brooklyn will have to make a competitive offer for Mitchell if they want to add him to Bridges moving forward.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,886

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:56 pm

I'd re-route Cam Thomas and attempt to use our pick in this year's draft instead, but this looks fine. If we're trading Mitchell and Allen we can kick the can down the road a bit. We'd have like $56M in expiring contracts and those picks at the deadline if another team needs to go in damage mitigation mode.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,111

Post#7 » by tidho » Wed May 22, 2024 4:27 pm

jbk1234 wrote:...If we're trading Mitchell and Allen we can kick the can down the road a bit...

This was my first thought. Just as acquiring Mitchell shortened the timeline, moving him extends the timeline. I think if Mitchell is extended than they' attempt to make all the moves win-now, but that won't be the case if Mitchell is the one that goes.

The deal itself is reasonable if that's the direction they decide to go. Would certainly be pushing for the other Cam, but understandably why it's Thomas that's expendable with Mitchell coming in.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,869

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 pm

I think you take out one of the firsts (2025 Phoenix or 2027 Philly) and the Cleveland first. That’s a weird balancing act that I don’t think is really necessary.

Brooklyn can shop the two firsts they have left and their own future firsts for another star or just run the team as is and see if Bridges is a good enough Robin.. (he’s not really).. but even DJM gives Brooklyn two “star” level players around Mitchell is nice enough to feel like you have a chance.

Cleveland should do it if Mitchell isn’t extending though.

Would probably keep the picks and keep Allen/Mobley together and just play out the season and then go shopping depending on how Mobley/Garland have developed without Spida..
SkyHook
Analyst

Post#9 » by SkyHook » Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I think you take out one of the firsts (2025 Phoenix or 2027 Philly) and the Cleveland first. That’s a weird balancing act that I don’t think is really necessary.

Brooklyn can shop the two firsts they have left and their own future firsts for another star or just run the team as is and see if Bridges is a good enough Robin.. (he’s not really).. but even DJM gives Brooklyn two “star” level players around Mitchell is nice enough to feel like you have a chance.

Would probably keep the picks and keep Allen/Mobley together and just play out the season and then go shopping depending on how Mobley/Garland have developed without Spida..

I included the 2026 CLE pick so that the Nets would be compliant with the Stepien rule, but maybe I've got that wrong and it's unnecessary. Thoughts?

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,869

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 pm

SkyHook wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think you take out one of the firsts (2025 Phoenix or 2027 Philly) and the Cleveland first. That’s a weird balancing act that I don’t think is really necessary.

I included the 2026 CLE pick so that the Nets would be compliant with the Stepien rule, but maybe I've got that wrong and it's unnecessary. Thoughts?

The nets have their own 2025 and 2027 firsts (Houston’s at least)..

The 2026 first coming in would not free up any first to be traded.
SkyHook
Analyst

Post#11 » by SkyHook » Wed May 22, 2024 9:12 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
SkyHook wrote:

The nets have their own 2025 and 2027 firsts (Houston’s at least)..

The 2026 first coming in would not free up any first to be traded.

Thanks. It was triggering a Stepien message on Fanspo so I was attempting a workaround, but on Spotrac I see that the outgoing 25 & 27 Nets picks are just swaps.

axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,156

Post#12 » by axeman23 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:00 pm

The 2027 PHI pick doesn't have a huge ammount of upside to me, nor does the 25 Suns pick. I'd let them keep both, in exchange for the Dallas 29 1st. Cam Thomas does nothing for me as a player, but as an expiring stop-gap to get those 3 picks (27+29 PHX, and 29 DAL), what the hell, go for it...
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 214

Post#13 » by bgrep14 » Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 am

I’d request Cam Johnson and DFS instead of Simmons.

Return to Trades and Transactions