Interest in Mitchell Robinson?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JayTWill
Junior
And1: 187

Interest in Mitchell Robinson? 

Post#1 » by JayTWill » Wed May 22, 2024 8:16 pm

26 year old defensive minded center that is one of the best rebounders in the league but also has a long injury history and is very limited on the offensive end.

With Hartenstein's success in the starting unit the Knicks may be open to moving Mitch if they can find good value for him after re-signing iHart. Robinson is more than fine as backup big if not. He has 2 more years left on his deal declining from $14.3 million in 2024-2025 to $12.9 million in 2025-2026.

Mitch showed incredible value this postseason with his ability to slow down Embiid. Which teams could use him right now? I could see a team like Memphis that could use his rebounding next to JJJ and could also use a big body to throw at Jokic and and Minnesota with their size.

What type of offers would be available for Mitchell Robinson?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,420

Re: Interest in Mitchell Robinson? 

Post#2 » by amcoolio » Wed May 22, 2024 8:18 pm

With the cap rise all but locked in some team is giving Hartenstein 20+ million a year and it's not gonna be the Knicks if they have to sign OG at 40M a year
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 91,447

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 22, 2024 8:22 pm

Hard to imagine the Knicks getting good value. He's a good player that a team needing a center might not mind as part of their rotation, but because you know you can't count on him, you'd have to also add another center to protect against him. Suddenly it stops making much sense.

I think if he's moved its as salary filler to a bad team who doesn't really care if he can play or not, who would see it as a bonus if he had a healthy year and they could flip him.

But the thoughts that the Knicks can turn him into an asset feel pretty optimistic.

One exception might be the Thunder giving you one of their wo rst picks or lower level prospects. He'd give them a backup center with skills they currently lack and need. But my guess is Presti would get the Knicks to pay him for taking him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,793

Post#4 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 22, 2024 8:26 pm

A NY fan told me the most they can offer Hartenstein is 15mil

Safe to say I think he's likely gone in FA. Charlotte should offer him 20mil a year.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,118

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 pm

I think Hart is gone and with OG getting a wild deal they should lean on Mitchell and sign a cheaper guy like Plumlee.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,060

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 pm

I'd offer GP2's expiring contract and Moses Moody for him and see if Celebrini can work his magic on him.
JayTWill
Junior

Post#7 » by JayTWill » Wed May 22, 2024 8:32 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Hard to imagine the Knicks getting good value. He's a good player that a team needing a center might not mind as part of their rotation, but because you know you can't count on him, you'd have to also add another center to protect against him. Suddenly it stops making much sense.

I think if he's moved its as salary filler to a bad team who doesn't really care if he can play or not, who would see it as a bonus if he had a healthy year and they could flip him.

But the thoughts that the Knicks can turn him into an asset feel pretty optimistic.

One exception might be the Thunder giving you one of their wo rst picks or lower level prospects. He'd give them a backup center with skills they currently lack and need. But my guess is Presti would get the Knicks to pay him for taking him.

I know his injury history is terrible but you could possibly see the Knicks having to add value to dump his contract at basically $27 million over 2 years? I feel like some team would value what he brings when healthy and hope that he could stay a bit healthier away from Thibs.

I think he should have some positive value with the cap increasing and his contract decreasing.
JayTWill
Junior

Post#8 » by JayTWill » Wed May 22, 2024 8:43 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:A NY fan told me the most they can offer Hartenstein is 15mil

Safe to say I think he's likely gone in FA. Charlotte should offer him 20mil a year.

I believe Hartenstein was willing to take the taxpayer mid-level exception for like $6.4 million when he was with the Clippers but instead they used it on John Wall and iHart ended up getting more money in New York.

He showed that he was willing to take less money to stay in a winning situation that he was comfortable in. I could definitely see iHart leaving for more money in the right situation though. I heard the Knicks could offer him a contract starting around $16 million. I don't remember.

If he does leave I can't imagine it would be to a team like Charlotte for a few more million per year. There is too much uncertainty around them and no recent history of being a good team.
JayTWill
Junior

Post#9 » by JayTWill » Wed May 22, 2024 8:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I think Hart is gone and with OG getting a wild deal they should lean on Mitchell and sign a cheaper guy like Plumlee.

OG and his own injury history actually makes me feel like they should lean on Mitchell less. There was a trickle down effect from every injury this year and Thibs is known to lean harder on his guys when someone goes down which is not a great situation to have multiple injury prone players on the roster for.

Hartenstein may leave but I feel like he found a good home in New York and I don't think the demand for non-unicorn bigs is that great around the league.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,316

Post#10 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 22, 2024 8:51 pm

Weaver will take him for a couple of SRPs.
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 82

Post#11 » by scottyg » Wed May 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Bulls will give ya Vucevic and a future protected 1st
psman2
General Manager
And1: 5,038

Post#12 » by psman2 » Wed May 22, 2024 9:11 pm

Memphis might look at him once FA has kicked in. The Knicks will know if IH is staying by then (or they can SNT him to Memphis please). But as Chuck alluded to any team that trades for him must have a starting caliber guy waiting in the wings behind him. So if we swing something like Zaire/Konchar/2nds or maybe top 20 LP 1st, release Kennard, and either draft a center or use some of the MLE for another center like Goga or Plumlee. Just not a lot of shooting between Clarke/Robinson/MLE/draftee backup, but likely something we can work with. Might be a better target than Capela due to the contract size....not a big fan of Capela but could be fall back plan.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,731

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 22, 2024 9:21 pm

Charlotte feels like a reasonable spot. Robinson is young enough he might be able to be a long term piece if his health comes around. They kind of roll the dice on two centers at a time. Richards + a 2nd or two gives New York an alright backup center and some liquid assets + savings.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,977

Post#14 » by ChettheJet » Wed May 22, 2024 11:48 pm

He would be good for the Bulls as part of a real roster change. If they could move on from Vucevic and that's not out of the question, even with Robinson's injury history, if they resigned Andre Drummond the two could split the minutes, with a developing kid behind them. If either got hurt the kid gets backup minutes. But a new zip code for Vucevic first.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,109

Post#15 » by Skybox » Thu May 23, 2024 12:49 am

ORL sends Cole Anthony ($13m) for Robinson & #25 pick
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,731

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 23, 2024 1:10 am

Skybox wrote:ORL sends Cole Anthony ($13m) for Robinson & #25 pick

I don't think Anthony is more valuable than Robinson.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,109

Post#17 » by Skybox » Thu May 23, 2024 1:13 am

babyjax13 wrote:

I don't think Anthony is more valuable than Robinson.

I would just say that a tremendous discount comes with the chronically injured. Isaac might be the best defender in the NBA but...
JayTWill
Junior

Post#18 » by JayTWill » Thu May 23, 2024 1:42 am

The Knicks already have 4 guys in the rotation that are 6'4 and under. They could use an added scoring punch from the bench
but I wouldn't want to add another small guard that doesn't pair well with Brunson defensively. I definitely wouldn't want to give up a pick on top of that too.

Maybe if they decided to move McBride for some reason but even then Thibs would probably only play Cole 12 minutes per game behind Brunson.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,860

Post#19 » by JRoy » Thu May 23, 2024 1:42 am

Is RW3 a good comp for Mitchell Robinson in terms of value?

Talented shot blockers with constant injury issues.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JayTWill
Junior

Post#20 » by JayTWill » Thu May 23, 2024 1:53 am

psman2 wrote:Memphis might look at him once FA has kicked in. The Knicks will know if IH is staying by then (or they can SNT him to Memphis please). But as Chuck alluded to any team that trades for him must have a starting caliber guy waiting in the wings behind him. So if we swing something like Zaire/Konchar/2nds or maybe top 20 LP 1st, release Kennard, and either draft a center or use some of the MLE for another center like Goga or Plumlee. Just not a lot of shooting between Clarke/Robinson/MLE/draftee backup, but likely something we can work with. Might be a better target than Capela due to the contract size....not a big fan of Capela but could be fall back plan.

As a Grizzlie's fan I know you said Memphis might look at him once FA kicked in but I wanted to know if you would be willing to slide back in this year's draft to acquire Mitchell. I know you wouldn't give up the #9 pick for Mitch even in what is considered to be a weak draft but would you be willing to slide back to maybe turn Kennard's contract into Robinson's? If so how far would you be willing to slide back in the draft? It doesn't have to be all the way back to the Knicks' picks late in the first.

Return to Trades and Transactions