NOLA - BK

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,512

NOLA - BK 

Post#1 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 23, 2024 2:26 pm

NOLA sends:
Brandon Ingram

BK sends:
Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
DFS

Why?
Nola breaks Ingrams contract into a few starting level players, escapes the risk of losing him for nothing in a year, and brings in a guy with some star potential who can eventually replace McCollum.

BK lands one of their rumored free agent targets a season early, while consolidating contracts/assets.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 422

Re: NOLA - BK 

Post#2 » by drchaos » Thu May 23, 2024 2:51 pm

I think this is good for Brooklyn.

With that said I would prefer not to trade Cam Thomas.

If the Nets gave up the Philly first rounder instead would that still work for New Orleans?
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 777

Post#3 » by lordjeff05 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:59 pm

Not a Cam Thomas fan, but even with him in this, the offer is a light.

I think surrounding Zion with Trey, Herb and Cam is really intriguing and you can never have enough wings but that puts too much of an onus on him to create the offense. I think that’s fine in the clutch but not good enough for a full game or a full season.
louc1970
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#4 » by louc1970 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:57 pm

Question 1) Can Williamson attract free agents?

Since I like to expand on trades - here goes:

Pelicans send Ingram, Jones, McCollum, 24 FRP (#17)
Pelicans receive Simmons, DFS, LeVert, Allen
Similar to the OP but adding Simmons (final year) cost is $40M vs keeping McCollum for2 years totaling $64M. If Simmons can get anywhere near healthy, he could solve the PG issues back in Louisianna, if not, a team may be willing to sell off players at the deadline. LeVert on a final year deal as well. Pels get the center they need

Nets send Simmons, DFS, Johnson, Thomas, 2 - 27 FRP
Nets receive Ingram, Mitchell
Nets surround Bridges with Mitchell/Ingram/Claxton.

Cavs send LeVert, Mitchell, Allen
Cavs receive Jones, Thomas, McCollum, Johnson, 2 - 27 FRP, 24 FRP (#17)
Cavs move Mitchell for 2 young role players who do not take the ball from Garland. And both can shoot the ball well enough to spread the floor for Mobley/Allen. Cleveland can move Strus, resign Okoro.

Boils down to:
Pelicans get the center they need plus a 1 year tryout for Simmons to get healthy and play PG.
Nets get rid of Simmons and 2 coveted players.
Cavs get point production of Mitchell replaced with Thomas/McCollum, move Mobley to the 5 with Jones/Johnson on board at the 4. And get 3 FRPs.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 393

Post#5 » by Euphonetiks » Thu May 23, 2024 5:17 pm

louc1970 wrote:Question 1) Can Williamson attract free agents?

Similar to the OP but adding Simmons (final year) cost is $40M vs keeping McCollum for2 years totaling $64M. If Simmons can get anywhere near healthy, he could solve the PG issues back in Louisianna, if not, a team may be willing to sell off players at the deadline. LeVert on a final year deal as well. Pels get the center they need

Cavs move Mitchell for 2 young role players who do not take the ball from Garland. And both can shoot the ball well enough to spread the floor for Mobley/Allen. Cleveland can move Strus, resign Okoro.

Boils down to:
Pelicans get the center they need plus a 1 year tryout for Simmons to get healthy and play PG.
Cavs get point production of Mitchell replaced with Thomas/McCollum, move Mobley to the 5 with Jones/Johnson on board at the 4. And get 3 FRPs.

That is one of the worst deals I have seen for the Pels in a while.
Herb is equal to or more valuable than Allen. So how in the world is DFS/Levert worth Ingram/CJ/1st and the Pels taking on Simmons $40M??? I don't think the Pels are footing the bill to get Mitchell to the Nets.
louc1970
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#6 » by louc1970 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 am

Euphonetiks wrote:

Boils down to:

Herb is equal to or more valuable than Allen. So how in the world is DFS/Levert worth Ingram/CJ/1st and the Pels taking on Simmons $40M??? I don't think the Pels are footing the bill to get Mitchell to the Nets.

In what way is Jones more valuable than Allen? Allen can simply make his worth on defense alone.
Posters putting so much value in players like Jobes are infatuated with potential. Unless Williamson or Ingram are sitting out, Jobes gets his back up minutes.
One was an all-star one is a part time starter.
McCollum is less than valuable and no where near his salary. Like I said, you pay Simmons 1 year of $40 vs McCollum 2 years and $66m. You think McCollum is worth $26m more? I don’t.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 393

Post#7 » by Euphonetiks » Fri May 24, 2024 2:40 am

louc1970 wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

Boils down to:

In what way is Jones more valuable than Allen? Allen can simply make his worth on defense alone.
Posters putting so much value in players like Jobes are infatuated with potential. Unless Williamson or Ingram are sitting out, Jobes gets his back up minutes.
McCollum is less than valuable and no where near his salary. Like I said, you pay Simmons 1 year of $40 vs McCollum 2 years and $66m. You think McCollum is worth $26m more? I don’t.

1st Team All-Defense 6’8” wing Herb Jones who shot .498/.418/.867 this season while anchoring the Pels 6th rated defense and is locked up for 3 more years at $42M???

The bit about “Jobes gets his back up minutes” is nonsensical. Herb is a starter and averages over 30mpg.

Zion needs spacing. McCollum was 7th in the league in made 3’s (3rd per game) shooting 42.9% on 8.4 attempts per game. He’s overpaid, but he contributes as a shooter and scorer. Simmons adds nothing. He’s a negative value, so yes CJ is worth $26M more than Simmons. I do not see the Pels burning $40M in space this year to get off CJ’s salary next year.
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 268

Post#8 » by balsamic_ducks » Fri May 24, 2024 4:36 am

louc1970 wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

Boils down to:

You’ve now said in multiple threads that jones isn’t a starter. Please show your work. He’s been a starter for the pelicans since he was a rookie. Regardless of whether Zion or Ingram were hurt.

CJ actually plays basketball unlike Simmons and he plays it quite well. He is easily worth 26m more than Simmons.
YayBasketball
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#9 » by YayBasketball » Fri May 24, 2024 5:34 am

drchaos wrote:I think this is good for Brooklyn.

With that said I would prefer not to trade Cam Thomas.

If the Nets gave up the Philly first rounder instead would that still work for New Orleans?

That seems like a good compromise. CamT probably would be in Coach Green's doghouse, and they have Dyson and Hawkins to develop.

I do see Nets as a top Ingram trade team. If they strike out on Mitchell, could see them pivot to available semi-stars like Ingram. I saw videos of BI and Mikal joking around being friendly on team USA last summer. They're both with the same Excel Sports agency, too. Could help to potentially negotiate a slightly less than max extension if they pair him with fellow Exceller Mikal.

Think the players involved could be shifted a bit. I think Pels would first try for Mikal, then for Claxton sign-and-trade. But assuming the Nets plan is to make that trio of Mikal, BI and Claxton-- then yea, Cam-J makes sense as the base player, with his salary number, 3pt spacing and history with Willie Green from the Suns days.

Would Nets give up all forward depth like this? Think they'd push hard to keep DFS as a good role player connector. And I think Alvarado to Brooklyn would be a great storyline. Jose is BFFs with Ingram, he's from Brooklyn, NY, and he could be an immediate fan favorite from a PR standpoint. He's also a good player. From Pels POV, adding Jose boosts BI's trade value a bit, and clears future development roles for Dyson and Hawkins. Schroeder coming back to Pels makes sense in that case. Nance included somehow is another possibility.

But to balance value, Pels will also need one of Clowney or Sharpe to help with their big rotation, and at least 1 first. Assuming Nets keep the PHX and DAL 1sts off the table-- then that PHI 1st (top-8 prot. from PHI) and some 2nds.

Ingram (extension agreed) + Alvarado
for
CamJ + Schroeder + Sharpe + PHI 1st + three 2nds

Now, I'm sure realistically, David Griffin may just keep Ingram, extension or not, if the offer gets this "low." Really depends on evaluation of Cam Johnson and if they could get Nets to include more valuable 1sts.

Nets:

Claxton/ FA
DFS/ Clowney
Ingram/ FA/ Whitehead
Bridges/ FA
CamT/ Jose/ FA
(Simmons???)

Pelicans:

Trade / Sharpe
Zion/
CamJ/ Dyson
Murphy/ Hawkins
Herb/ CJ/ Schroeder
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 983

Post#10 » by BuddyBuckets » Fri May 24, 2024 11:23 am

Yea wow this idea has the Pels giving up their #1 wing for multiple wings when their roster is deep with.... Wings.... No thanks.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,658

Post#11 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri May 24, 2024 11:26 am

Not a fan of using assets to acquire Ingram, certainly not Cam Thomas.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,869

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Fri May 24, 2024 11:45 am

Seems like an idea that really needs a third team.

Brooklyn should do it, but NOP should let them sub out a first for Cam if they want. Trading for Ingram likely means the cap space plan is dead, so they will want to keep Thomas.

Return to Trades and Transactions