DAL-NY-NJ (VC on the Move)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

DAL-NY-NJ (VC on the Move) 

Post#1 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:02 pm

Dallas Gets: Vince Carter, Malik Rose

NJ Gets: Zach Randolph, Mo Ager, (Devean George or Eddie Jones)

NY Gets: Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Jamaal Magloire

Dallas: They get the SG they so desperatley need, they give up some depth, but seeing their struggles with lineup changes, it would be worth it. Carter and Nowitzki can easily coexist, add Howard and harris and you have a very solid team.

Harris
Carter
Howard
Dirk
Damp

NJ: They finally get an inside presence, RJ has taken over VC as their best perimeter player, therefore he should stay, Zach gives them the inside dimension they ahve been lacking.

Kidd
Wright
Jefferson
Randolph
Collins or Kristic

NY: I know people will ask why NY not just get VC and cut dallas out of it, my thinking is VC may not adapt well in NY, and may go back to his sulking days in Toronto, and with NY fans it will be ten times worse for him. With Steph's future in limbo, NY gets a quality PG in Terry to open up the floor for Curry, Stackhouse will provide a spark off the bench and toughness.

Terry
Crawford
Balkman
Lee
Curry
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:50 pm

Edit: Added the choice of either Eddie Jones or Devean george for NJ, either or works in the trade checker.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:51 pm

Here's what NJ is willing to pay to their cross-river rival for Zach Randolph: Straight Cap Relief

No picks, no youth; just some financial breathing room. I'm not even sure I could get everyone on the Nets forum to get on board with adding a defensively challenged chucker like Z-Bo. But cetainly, none of the Big 3 are even in the discussion if the maing incoming piece is Randolph (or Curry, or any other Knick).

So, cut the Nets out of this deal. We want no part of it.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#4 » by sweet daddy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:26 pm

As good a player as VC is, I don't think he's the kind of player that puts Dallas over the top. He's a highlight reel player, but where is he at the end of big games? Does anyone really think of him as a true clutch player? I don't. Not any more, anyway.

To me, this type of trade is at least trying to address the Mavs' biggest need, though, which is a big scoring shooting guard who can pass (man, I wish that JET was 3 inches taller. We wouldn't even be talking about this). That's our weakest position, and really, it's unlikely that we can make any trades to make us better at any other position. I'm just not sure that Vince is the right guy to target.
'daddy knows best'
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#5 » by JES12 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:11 pm

I have to agree with sweet daddy.

I would not mind upgrading Stackhouse (decent offense, decent defense) to Carter (great offense, terrible defense), but not at the expense of our top 4 (Dirk, Howard, Harris, Terry).

Terry would be a GREAT combo guard behind Harris & Carter, but this trade would be non-ideal.

One Warrior fan came over to the Dallas board and said he would love to do Hassell for Pietrus. While I doubt that many Warrior agree with him, if there is any truth to that, I think all teams would rather this trade assuming Kidd gets delt to LA or Miami:

Dallas gets VC
Nets get Pietrus (expiring) & Stackhouse
Warriros get Hassell (may even concider giving them Barea to help facilitate this)

However, if we could not get Carter on the cheap, I see no reason to have Dirk and Carter on the same team.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#6 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:17 pm

I hear you JES, but with that, I see no reason to have Dirk, Carter, AND Terry on the same team, that would be completely useless, maybe carter isnt the solution, but parting ways with Terry and Stack are the solution to get this team ahead imo.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#7 » by catalyst » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:30 pm

I agree with da1. This team needs a shake up, and carter would be a shake up. I am not saying title, but the comfort level has sunk in and is not helping this mavs team. I think they refuse to hear avery tell them to drive it to the hole, something Carter does very well

Mavs would be

damp/diop
Dirk/Bass/JuHo/rose
J-ho/(George)/Hassell
carter/(Jones)/Hassell
Harris/Barea
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#8 » by deviljets7 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:24 pm

JES12 wrote:I have to agree with sweet daddy.

I would not mind upgrading Stackhouse (decent offense, decent defense) to Carter (great offense, terrible defense), but not at the expense of our top 4 (Dirk, Howard, Harris, Terry).

Terry would be a GREAT combo guard behind Harris & Carter, but this trade would be non-ideal.

One Warrior fan came over to the Dallas board and said he would love to do Hassell for Pietrus. While I doubt that many Warrior agree with him, if there is any truth to that, I think all teams would rather this trade assuming Kidd gets delt to LA or Miami:

Dallas gets VC
Nets get Pietrus (expiring) & Stackhouse
Warriros get Hassell (may even concider giving them Barea to help facilitate this)

However, if we could not get Carter on the cheap, I see no reason to have Dirk and Carter on the same team.

:o Please tell me that this is a joke
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#9 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:17 pm

deviljets7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:o Please tell me that this is a joke

I know, all I could do was :noway: :nonono: :banghead: :crazy: .

What do you think about my Collins/Magloire/Allen for Randolph proposal? I'd say is tempting to add another scorer on the cheap, but would most Nets fans do it?
-- Steve Martin
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#10 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:29 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What do you think about my Collins/Magloire/Allen for Randolph proposal? I'd say is tempting to add another scorer on the cheap, but would most Nets fans do it?

true my proposal may have been bad, but why the heck would NY do that, Collins may be the worst player in the NBA, and Allen is useless.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:37 pm

^

If you had read what I titled this proposal earlier, it is meant to be pure financial savings (of over $29mil) for the Knicks. There are little to no on-court benefits to this deal for NYK, but that is all I would offer from NJ.
-- Steve Martin
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#12 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:40 pm

but they'd be way over the cap regardless of any relief, it doesnt do them any good
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#13 » by positivetension » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:42 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:none of the Big 3

They really shouldn't be called the Big 3...
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#14 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:08 pm

daoneandonly wrote:but they'd be way over the cap regardless of any relief, it doesnt do them any good

That's the line of thinking that has gotten the Knicks where they are now.

First of all, I have to apologize. I was looking at Curry's salary when I compared the incoming/outgoing contracts. The Knicks would actually save just over $44 MILLION by shedding Zach's contract.

Second, it saves almost $3mil in luxury taxes this year, and over $8mil next year. That's $52mil in total savings, and by 2009, NYK would be far enough under the cap to sign an impact FA, if they so chose.
-- Steve Martin
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:54 pm

There is no reason for NY to want Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Jamaal Magliore (who is proving that his time spent stinking it up in Portland was no fluke) instead of Vince Carter. NONE.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#16 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:23 am

positivetension wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They really shouldn't be called the Big 3...

That's a potshot, but you have a point. The Boston Three Party really deserves that distinction, but hey... WE CALLED IT FIRST!!!
-- Steve Martin
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#17 » by deviljets7 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:38 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I personally would do it, but then again it's not my money :D

Considering the financial consequences of adding Randolph, I don't think it's a slam dunk that Ratner/Thorn would do this trade.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.

Return to Trades and Transactions