SAC/NJ/LA

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

SAC/NJ/LA 

Post#1 » by longfellow44 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:02 pm

LA out
Odom
Crittenton

LA in
Jefferson

SAC out
Artest

SAC in
Crittenton
S Williams
Collins
lotto protected 1st from NJ

NJ out
Jefferson
Collins
S Williams
lotto protected 1st

NJ in
Odom
Artest

This gives the lakers a great starting lineup with more offensive power without losing any defense or giving up an important part of the bench.
LA lineup
Fisher/Farmar
Kobe/Ariza
Jefferson/Walton
Brown/Turiaf/Vlad
Bynum/Mihm

Although the kings take on an extra year of salary for a player that won't be useful the kings do end up with good rebuilding pieces for Artest.
SAC lineup
Udrih/bibby/Crittenton
Martin/Douby
Salmons/Garcia
Williams/Moore
Miller/Hawes

NJ gets a much better rounded lineup instead of a big 3 they now have a big 4 and should easily be able to compete in the playoffs. The downside is that NJ gives up a pick and a good defensive PF.
NJ Lineup
Kidd/Williams
Carter/Wright
Artest/Nachbar
Odom/boone
Magloire/Kristic
wezbo
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#2 » by wezbo » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:02 pm

wow i like this trade

even though im a laker fan it seems pretty fair for all teams
manny "pacman" pacquiao is the greatest
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm lukewarm on the deal, but it's really not bad for NJ.

Artest is undergoing elbow surgery, while Odom is getting back to 100%.

Critt/Williams is awfully nice return for Crazy Ron.

I think I'd do it, but I'm just not sure...
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 639

Post#4 » by sackings916 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:48 pm

Kings say yes. Gets us a young big in Williams and a 1st. Critt is a decent prospect also.
LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

Post#5 » by LPKingsFan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:53 pm

Think the Kings have to say yes. I like the potential frontcourt of the future in Williams and Hawes (not to mention Justin Williams, if he ever pans out). Doesn't get the desired KT dump in an Artest deal, but the addition of Critt and a first (is this a 2008 lotto protected one?) make it hard to pass up.

Looks like other teams are at least amicable. Nice job.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,360

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:56 pm

lakers aren't about to trade odom who starts at pf for jefferson who can't play that position. throwing in critt makes it a very clear no. the kings get quite the package for artest though.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:18 am

Let's see: SAC would like to dump a PF in this trade, and LA is worried about their PF rotation after this trade. Hmmm, how do we.... oh my goodness, I think I have it! :lol:

Seriously, though, it might not be a bad idea to add a PF from the Kings to the Lakers. Moore would be ideal beside Bynum, and SAC would have the leeway to trade him because Sean is their new PF.
-- Steve Martin
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#8 » by LPKingsFan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:28 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Let's see: SAC would like to dump a PF in this trade, and LA is worried about their PF rotation after this trade. Hmmm, how do we.... oh my goodness, I think I have it! :lol:

Seriously, though, it might not be a bad idea to add a PF from the Kings to the Lakers. Moore would be ideal beside Bynum, and SAC would have the leeway to trade him because Sean is their new PF.

Ah yes, but who do the Kings take back?
wezbo
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#9 » by wezbo » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:01 am

U-Borat wrote:The difference between Odom and RJ is not Crit.
And who exactly plays PF after this? A super rotation of Turiaf and Vladrad?
you guys are overrating odom and underrating jefferson, jefferson is a legit all star, a great 2nd option, and a great defender, with bynum in the post we can get away with not having a real pf, and walton adn jefferson have great chemistry, walton scores alot in the post anyways, we could always try and trade for like gooden, or haslem, we could even put ariza at pf

manny "pacman" pacquiao is the greatest
longfellow44
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by longfellow44 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:42 am

I personally have always liked Brown at PF for the lakers. I'm not really sure what would prevent him from being a good PF for you. Maybe some one could tell me why Brown wouldn't make a good PF.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#11 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:55 am

Kings say no!!! We need to dump salary not just receive young value. The deal is insane for the Nets, no way they could get both Artest and Odom for RJeff, Williams, and a mid to late 1st.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by longfellow44 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:03 am

^^^What are you talking about, we get great value here. Sean williams is a beast take a look at what he does. He is the exact type of player that we need next to Hawes or Miller and he even helps to close up the mistakes that bibby makes.

Fine we don't drop salary here but the value is undeniable and as it has been established that we are looking to drop salary for 09 we can just wait a year to move SAR or KT.

I also checked it out and I think the Kings could add in Mikki Moore to the lakers with nothing coming back. This would give the lakers a good rebounder next to Bynum and would push the kings pay roll a little lower.
Rugged Ron Ron
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Rugged Ron Ron » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:06 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Kings say no!!! We need to dump salary not just receive young value. The deal is insane for the Nets, no way they could get both Artest and Odom for RJeff, Williams, and a mid to late 1st.
You're receiving Sean William and Crit plus a 1st for Artest. You cant expect to dump a contract with the package you're getting back. Maybe attach Crit and Kenny for expirings afterward. The main reason Sac take this is Sean Williams. This young guy a perfect type of PF next to Hawes.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:23 am

Rugged Ron Ron wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You're receiving Sean William and Crit plus a 1st for Artest. You cant expect to dump a contract with the package you're getting back. Maybe attach Crit and Kenny for expirings afterward. The main reason Sac take this is Sean Williams. This young guy a perfect type of PF next to Hawes.

This deal is pretty good value, but I am saying go for another deal. One in which we can get a little bit of everything not all in prospects. If we want a Sean Williams type of player so bad why don't we just play Justin Williams!? Sean is a nice player but we need to focus on other things first. Critt won't be/isn't valuable enough to dump salary with, especially not a Kenny Thomas.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by longfellow44 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:38 am

The issue here is that Justin could be a solid rotation player but the only thing that kept Sean Williams from being a top 7 pick was that coaches were a little scared by that fact that he got tossed off his college team once for a small amount of weed. S.Williams has the chance to be a very good player I think a guy like Tyrus Thomas but possibly and even better shot blocker. That is why you do this trade and get all prospects.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:46 am

longfellow44 wrote:The issue here is that Justin could be a solid rotation player but the only thing that kept Sean Williams from being a top 7 pick was that coaches were a little scared by that fact that he got tossed off his college team once for a small amount of weed. S.Williams has the chance to be a very good player I think a guy like Tyrus Thomas but possibly and even better shot blocker. That is why you do this trade and get all prospects.

Still a role player and no, he wasn't a top 7 player nor a top 7 prospect. Theo Ratliff maybe, but NOT a top 7 player in a deep ass draft. Also provides the same role a Justin Williams could no matter how you put it. Good player but not worth losing out in other areas in which we could gain.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#17 » by warren weel im » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:30 am

NO from the Lakers! Odom = RJ to us, let alone add Critt. No way. Sean Williams though... would be nice to add to our young core at PF/C.

NJ has been interested in Odom since the summer when the Wallace-RJ-Odom swap has been proposed. MJ reportedly nixed the deal and so it fell.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,360

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:48 am

longfellow44 wrote:I personally have always liked Brown at PF for the lakers. I'm not really sure what would prevent him from being a good PF for you. Maybe some one could tell me why Brown wouldn't make a good PF.

his inability to spread the floor for bynum would kill the lakers inside attack.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#19 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:36 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:If we want a Sean Williams type of player so bad why don't we just play Justin Williams!?

NEW SIG! :rofl:
-- Steve Martin
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,030

Post#20 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:55 pm

I don't know why people are so high on Williams - he has not proven anything yet. At this point he is 30 games into his rookie season and has not yet shown enough to prove that the questions that made him drop to NJ in the draft. I like him, but I don't think that making him the central point in a trade that does NOT relieve us of any salary (i.e. - KT; SAR) is a good idea at this point . If he were in his second or third year and performing as he does without issues then I would say absolutely.

Return to Trades and Transactions