The Sixers are NOT trading Miller

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#21 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:22 am

This is what the GM says after he shops him around and realizes he is not as valuble as he thought.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#22 » by Flash is the Future » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:24 am

IggyTheKing wrote:this means miami will draft derick rose
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Bring on Derrick Rose! :clap:
roseorbust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#23 » by roseorbust » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:29 am

yes I intentionally spelled actualy achewaly because I felt like it and because it's the way my little sister used to say it ten years ago.

I was onedurin how many stupid smart but comments I could get in a hour or two. :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,642

Re: The Sixers are NOT trading Miller 

Post#24 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:32 am

IggyTheBEaST wrote:"We're happy with our team and will see what happens "

TRANSLATION: Nobody wanted to give us a first round pick and pay Andre Miller $20 million.
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#25 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:34 am

yunggunz wrote:Until you work out a deal with iggy, he counts as a max contract against your cap this offseason.

Thats not true. Iguodala counts as 8.4 million against the cap this offseason until he signs a new contract.
joey-A
Banned User

Post#26 » by joey-A » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:35 am

Young Gunz: Actually you are wrong.
Philly's cap next year stands right now at just under 36.3 million, once they renounce Giricek, and they will. The cap hold of Iguodala, is 300 % of what he is making this season. So his Cap hold number is 8.4 milliom,,,NOT a MAX amount figure that you stated. The cap hold for Lou Williams will be right about 2.1 million, add that to the 36.3 million, and it comes to 46.8 million. The cap is said to be at the minimum of 57.5 million. That means really, right now Philly is 10.7 million under the approx Cap. Add in another 1,147,000, the salary that Booth will get next year, but he has an Opt-out clause, and he will use it. I mean why not ? It's the Vet minimum salary anyways. And I'm sure Booth feels that a team with at least a better chance at the playoffs will offer him the same Vet minimum. That brings us up to 11.850 million. Now, use the the utah pick as sweetner to get a team to take Evans, although many here think that Orlando will take him as is, without any sweetner for a couple of their ending C's, but remove Evans, and that brings us up to at least 16.7 million. All they have to do is maybe dump say a Carney, and that easily gives us the money to sign a Elton Brand, and easily pay whoever we draft.

It's just that easy :-)
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#27 » by corwin » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:37 am

I still think Miller gets moved but maybe not before next year. That means no $20 million in cap space but at least $10 and more like $15 once/if they move Evans. This may also mean that Stefanski is not convinced that Lou Williams is a full time PG.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,029

Post#28 » by mg » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:33 am

JES12 wrote:This is what the GM says after he shops him around and realizes he is not as valuble as he thought.

Exactly my thought..The Sixers will not get fair value for Miller especially if they also want expiring contracts in return. Andre is a good player but not that final piece that will take PG needy teams like ATL, Mia, or Cle to a Championship.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 509

Post#29 » by raleigh » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:43 am

Not real reason for the 76ers to trade Miller when they can move a less important player and still accomplish their offseason goals.
shrink
RealGM

Post#30 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:07 am

mrhonline wrote:Not real reason for the 76ers to trade Miller when they can move a less important player and still accomplish their offseason goals.

I can only think of 11,400,000 reasons, but that's just me.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 509

Post#31 » by raleigh » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:51 am

He makes significantly less than his cap hold, and they can always trade him in the offseason.
shrink
RealGM

Post#32 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:55 am

What does the term "cap hold" mean?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#33 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:21 am

shrink wrote:What does the term "cap hold" mean?

How much money you count against the cap for.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#34 » by yunggunz » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:38 am

mrhonline wrote:He makes significantly less than his cap hold, and they can always trade him in the offseason.

Yeah...they could. But what good does that do them? Move them from the 6 pick to the 11 ?
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,035

Post#35 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:51 am

joey-A wrote:Young Gunz: Actually you are wrong.
Philly's cap next year stands right now at just under 36.3 million, once they renounce Giricek, and they will. The cap hold of Iguodala, is 300 % of what he is making this season. So his Cap hold number is 8.4 milliom,,,NOT a MAX amount figure that you stated. The cap hold for Lou Williams will be right about 2.1 million, add that to the 36.3 million, and it comes to 46.8 million. The cap is said to be at the minimum of 57.5 million. That means really, right now Philly is 10.7 million under the approx Cap. Add in another 1,147,000, the salary that Booth will get next year, but he has an Opt-out clause, and he will use it. I mean why not ? It's the Vet minimum salary anyways. And I'm sure Booth feels that a team with at least a better chance at the playoffs will offer him the same Vet minimum. That brings us up to 11.850 million. Now, use the the utah pick as sweetner to get a team to take Evans, although many here think that Orlando will take him as is, without any sweetner for a couple of their ending C's, but remove Evans, and that brings us up to at least 16.7 million. All they have to do is maybe dump say a Carney, and that easily gives us the money to sign a Elton Brand, and easily pay whoever we draft.

It's just that easy :-)

That doesn't sound easy at all :-?
sixerdave
Junior
And1: 1

Post#36 » by sixerdave » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:51 am

Hey Joey - I thought you were right on until the Booth thing. I just don't see another team offering him the same money. He's old, he stinks, he's useless. If I was a bad basketball player, I wouldn't say no to a million dollars.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#37 » by Hoops23 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks to the info Iggy.

I love this thread and I think the other message is clear that we will not see a Miller trade to Miami propose by Sixer fans unless they want to eat their words or pride.

Since Korver is better than Giricek and the pick may not be high in position, its clear that they want to dump him for cap space. It will be ridiculous to sacrifice Korver without following up a trade to free more cap space.

Lets see until where and how credible the new Sixers GM in saying those statements. All I know we will know soon if he is bluffing.

shrink wrote:
IggyThe BEaST wrote: "We're happy with our team and will see what happens "
TRANSLATION: Nobody wanted to give us a first round pick and pay Andre Miller $20 million.
:lol: :lol: You nail it right in the coffin. :clap:

IggyTheKing wrote: this means miami will draft derick rose
it also means the Heat pick is better than the Sixers pick which is between 9-11. Your team will not make the playoffs too, whats your point?

VintaGe36 wrote: Derrick Rose > Andre Miller
:clap:
WiltForever
Junior

Post#38 » by WiltForever » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:57 pm

Flash is the Future wrote:In all seriousness, this just seems like posturing to raise Miller's value. It would be silly to trade Korver for capspace and not follow through with Miller IMO. As of now, I don't think they have enough money to re-sign Iggy and add a max FA.

Ditto.

He's just saying that he's not giving him away...so if Cleveland, Orlando and Denver (and possibly the Lakers, but only if Coach Phil wants him) really want to make a run, they'll to up the ante.

Otherwise, they have enough money to re-sign Iggy and Lou Williams. The $10 mil free agency war chest (post-Kyle Korver) factors in 'holds' for both. And even if both go up another $1-2 mil and Philly signs a $15 mil free agent (Arenas, Brand or Josh Smith), they should be under the luxury with C-Webb, Ollie, Giricek and Aaron McKie coming off the books.

The thing is, they must make each move in order like a chess game. Sign the free agent first, then sign (or match) Igs and Lou-Will, then complete your roster with Amundson.

Unfortunately, Stefansky doesn't have enough in his war chest to go after Arenas, Brand or Smith. He's got $10 mil for the first year. It might be enough for Smith, but not for Arenas or Brand who, I would think, would command $12-$15 mil...assuming they're given clean bills of health.

So, he still has to make a salary dump of some sort. Most likely Evans. Take his $4.6 mil off the books next year and he's around $15 mil. I'm not sure if that's enough to lure Brand or Arenas into playing out their options...or to make a run on Smith;

But a team needing some muscle (Orlando, for instance) might be willing to give up an expiring (Garrity or Arroyo) and a future, even future protected, second-round pick (for show, just to make it seem Evans was being traded and not just a salary dump.

Problem there for Orlando: If they trade Garrity's expiring contract (Arroyo, given his recent promotion to the starting lineup, won't be in any deal for Evans, they will have difficulty piecing together a package of expirings to make a run at Miller should they decide they need him as well.

Could be done, but will be difficult. Arroyo's expiring is worth $4 mil, Evans, who can be moved on Jan. 20, is worth $1.5 mil; Augustine, $0.7 mil. That's $6.2 mil. That's not quite enough to meet the league's 125% rule...

And, unfortunately for Orlando: Philly will not want to take on Jameer's $35 mil, hometown kid or not. It was a bad signing for an undersized and not especially athletic player.

But, expect Evans to go next. Then, if Cleveland hopes to have a chance to compete with the Celtics and Detroit and if Denver hopes to be anything better than third or fourth in the West, 'ball's in their court' as they say.

Both have the pieces to make deals, though Stefansky's message says, more than anything, asking price has gone up...
WiltForever
Junior

Post#39 » by WiltForever » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:10 pm

amb1ent wrote:There are like I said, maybe 6 or 7 Legit Centers that have more value than Dalembert. But that's it! Dwight, Camby, Amare, Gasol, Sheed, and Bynum < Dalembert. Who knew?

problem is, they count fours with fives; players like bosh, howard and camby:

thus, you might want to add kaman, chandler and yao; drop sheed because he's a four (though he's playing five). but sam's surely moved up among the top 10 or 12 pure centers. and in the stats that matter to me, rebounds (at 9.5) and blocks (2.5), he's getting the job done. and his point total is around 11 ppg. he's still 26; if he learns a little jump hook, he'll give you 15 ppg.

and he now averages 32 or 33 minutes per game. so he stays on the court...and a majority of his blocks stay in play/are not sent to the rafters like before.
WiltForever
Junior

Re: The Sixers are NOT trading Miller 

Post#40 » by WiltForever » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:20 pm

shrink wrote:-= TRANSLATION: Nobody wanted to give us a first round pick and pay Andre Miller $20 million.

TRANSLATION, SHRINK: Nobody wanted to give up a first round pick and pay Andre Miller $10 million.

His 2008-2009 salary, which would be an expiring salary, thus could be moved relatively easily, is $10 million.

For the current season, with nearly 1/3 of games played, he would be owed around $6 million, 75% of which would have to come back in some form to make any trade for him work.

But surely you know that...

ANOTHER POSSIBLE TRANSLATION: Stefansky knows that Cleveland, Denver and/or Orlando must make a move or they go nowhere this season...and the asking price is now more than a first-round pick and an expiring considering how well Miller still plays.

But surely you know that too.

Return to Trades and Transactions