Artest to NY: This is the Knicks only possibility

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Artest to NY: This is the Knicks only possibility 

Post#1 » by Smills91 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:02 pm

Kings deal:
Ron Artest
Kenny Thomas

Knicks deal:
Malik Rose
Fred Jones
David Lee
Nate Robinson
1st round pick OR Renaldo Balkman
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#2 » by #1knickfan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:05 pm

Insane. Absolutely insane.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:19 pm

Nah, replace Lee with Balkman, and it's fair. Crazy + Contract Year + a Bum Wing does not get you Lee and Robinson.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#4 » by King of Canada » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:27 pm

Expirings for KT should be enough. Kings aren't going to end up getting anything for Artest, and will still have to pay KT.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
#1knickfan
Banned User

Re: Artest to NY: This is the Knicks only possibility 

Post#5 » by #1knickfan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:42 pm

Smills91 wrote:Kings deal:
Ron Artest
Kenny Thomas

Knicks deal:
Malik Rose
Fred Jones
David Lee or Renaldo Balkman
Nate Robinson

There, I fixed it for you. That is absolutely the best Sac-town can do from NY.
HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#6 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:49 pm

^ Lee should work, according to the wiretap
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#7 » by Crimson King » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:49 pm

Smills91 wrote:Kings deal:
Ron Artest
Kenny Thomas

Knicks deal:
Malik Rose
Fred Jones
David Lee
Nate Robinson OR Renaldo Balkman

#1knickfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I fixed it for you too.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,494

Post#8 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:23 pm

I think it could go down for Rose, Jones, Lee, Robinson for Artest, Thomas....which Kings fans have been saying ALL YEAR LONG, but instead were called "crazy" and "insane" because adding Nate Robinson is a star and deserves to be traded straight up for Artest!

...and they still think that.

However, a Lee/Hawes front line is too weak. On the other hand, a Lee/Justin Williams front line... :pray:
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:27 pm

As I've said in other threads, lotto teams do not trade picks for rentals.

And the Knicks should NOT be trading huge chunks of their young talent, ESPECIALLY if they risk coming out of it with only KT.

#1knicksfan's modification is much closer.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Post#10 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:31 pm

#1knickfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This is the better deal.

Knicks will need to give up Lee though.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#11 » by #1knickfan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:33 pm

zar wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I fixed it for you too.

Your fix is a deal killer. Bringing Artest to the Knicks is like bringing Santana to the Yankees....both non-NY teams want both of the NY teams best prospects but in reality they are going to have to settle for a package featuring just one of them.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#12 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:39 pm

except Santana is the best pitcher in baseball and plays the position the position of the Yankees' achilles heel
Smills91
Banned User

Post#13 » by Smills91 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:44 pm

King of Canada wrote:Expirings for KT should be enough. Kings aren't going to end up getting anything for Artest, and will still have to pay KT.

Where are these expirings? Malik Rose has exactly ONE year less than Kenny Thomas...and Malik needs out. The deal is fair as is if the Knicks want Artest.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#14 » by #1knickfan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:54 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:except Santana is the best pitcher in baseball and plays the position the position of the Yankees' achilles heel

Well I wouldn't consider starting pitching to be our achilles heel because the Yankees have good reason to be high on Chamberlain, Hughes and Kennedy. Plus we have a veteran like Mussina and young guys like Russ Orendorff (whatever the hell his name is), Humberto Soto, Alan Horne, Kel Igawa for spot starts. We even have Carl Pavano as an option later on. ( We released him but signed him to some sort of minor league or incentive laden deal which protects us in case he is somehow able to return to being a useful pitcher).

Personally, considering how terrible we hit in the past two playoff series I would consider first base and center field (if we trade Cabrera) to be our achilles heels. It is especially true of center field considering that once Cabrera is dealt. The best available free agents at center field are guys like Mike Cameron (suspended for the next 25 games for using amphetamines), Corey Patterson (strikeout machine) and Kenny Lofton who will never ever be allowed back in a Yankee uniform even if its one he bought from Modell's.
loserX

Post#15 » by loserX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:55 pm

Smills91 wrote:Where are these expirings? Malik Rose has exactly ONE year less than Kenny Thomas...and Malik needs out. The deal is fair as is if the Knicks want Artest.

Except Malik is actually outscoring KT in fewer minutes. Both players' contributions are so minimal that they're almost a wash, except Malik is owed less money per year, and fewer years. So that swap is a plus for the Kings, and a minus for the Knicks. Don't try and sell it to NY under the "Malik needs out" banner.

The original deal is absolutely not fair.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#16 » by Smills91 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:57 pm

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Except Malik is actually outscoring KT in fewer minutes. Both players' contributions are so minimal that they're almost a wash, except Malik is owed less money per year, and fewer years. So that swap is a plus for the Kings, and a minus for the Knicks. Don't try and sell it to NY under the "Malik needs out" banner.

The original deal is absolutely not fair.

And Artest is playing the best basketball of his career thus far this season and is the only one capable enough and crazy enough to relish the Knicks savior role that he would have in NY and he'd probably actually pull it off. KT doesn't fit in sacto, he is a bad contract here...but with a change of scenery he'll bounce back to something much more respectable than his current production. KT/Ron would actually both be positive additions to the Knicks franchise who have maybe 2 guys that play hard each night consistently.
loserX

Post#17 » by loserX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:01 pm

Smills91 wrote:And Artest is playing the best basketball of his career thus far this season and is the only one capable enough and crazy enough to relish the Knicks savior role that he would have in NY and he'd probably actually pull it off. KT doesn't fit in sacto, he is a bad contract here...but with a change of scenery he'll bounce back to something much more respectable than his current production. KT/Ron would actually both be positive additions to the Knicks franchise who have maybe 2 guys that play hard each night consistently.

KT is a bad contract anywhere, and Artest "pulling off his savior role" is hypothetical to say the least. You're selling an awful lot of snake oil in this post, Smills...the Knicks aren't going to meet your price for these rather dubious promises.
loserX

Post#18 » by loserX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:04 pm

Smills91 wrote:KT/Ron would actually both be positive additions to the Knicks franchise who have maybe 2 guys that play hard each night consistently.

I'd say they probably have 3...Lee, Balkman, and Rose. Oh wait, they all go to Sacramento here.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by St.Nick » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:19 pm

Artest can just sign for the MLE in the offseason. No need for the Knicks to trade away their best young players to get him.
LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

Post#20 » by LPKingsFan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:22 pm

OK, so people are now saying:

Artest, Thomas

for

Lee, Rose, Jones, Balkman/Robinson

works?

Can we just get it done now?

Return to Trades and Transactions