Atlanta gets point to run team into playoffs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

IPC075009
Junior
And1: 0

Atlanta gets point to run team into playoffs 

Post#1 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:26 pm

Andre Miller to Atlanta for Josh Childress, Lorenzen Wright, and Anthony Johnson.

Atlanta gets a point guard that is on a two year deal, who can help take this team to the playoffs and if Law has developed by the time this contract is up, can let Miller go.

Philadelphia gets all expiring contracts to add to what they already have. Childress probably wont cost too much to resign, but has been stuck behind Johnson and Smith in Atlanta. Anthony Johnson can backup Louis Williams efficiently and Lorenzen Wright can be released if necessary.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#2 » by dms269 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:39 pm

No from Atlanta. We can't give up Chill unless we get a wing in return. Chill is our backup at the 2 and 3, if we trade him are depth situation there looks horrible:
sg- johnson/salim
sf- marvin/no one

Plus the trade is bad. We give up a point who is expiring, but has been playing great recently. Chill is also a very solid player who can resigned for around the mle probably. Atlanta would probably counter with Lue instead of aj and zaza or shelden instead of chill.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
IPC075009
Junior

Post#3 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:46 pm

uga_dawgs24 wrote:No from Atlanta. We can't give up Chill unless we get a wing in return. Chill is our backup at the 2 and 3, if we trade him are depth situation there looks horrible:
sg- johnson/salim
sf- marvin/no one

Plus the trade is bad. We give up a point who is expiring, but has been playing great recently. Chill is also a very solid player who can resigned for around the mle probably. Atlanta would probably counter with Lue instead of aj and zaza or shelden instead of chill.

The thing is that you got to give up something to get something. AJ may be playing good now, but there is no way he is better than Miller. Miller is the best player in this deal and Childress is a young player that would make the Sixers want to do this deal.

AJs expiring is a very small amount that really means nothing by itself. I think you should ask yourself, if you were the sixers would you deal miller for zaza, lue, and zen. I dont think so. Smith could log some minutes at backup SF if need to, i would imagine.
IPC075009
Junior

Post#4 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:50 pm

What if the deal was like this instead.

Atlanta receives:
Andre Miller
Willie Green

Philly receives:
Tyronne Lue
Anthony Johnson
Josh Childress
Lorenzen Wright

ATL:

Horford/Zaza
Smith/Williams
Williams/Smith
Johnson/Green
Miller/Speedy

PHI:

Dalembert/Smith
Evans/Hill
Iggy/Giricek
Chill/Young
Williams/AJ
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#5 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:53 pm

If Willie green were in the trade the Sixers wouldn't need Childress to accept it. He has negative trade value.

Besides- the Sixers don't want Childress anyway- he counts as 11 million against the cap this offseason. The trade makes more sense with Shelden Williams.
IPC075009
Junior

Post#6 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:55 pm

killbuckner wrote:If Willie green were in the trade the Sixers wouldn't need Childress to accept it. He has negative trade value.

Besides- the Sixers don't want Childress anyway- he counts as 11 million against the cap this offseason. The trade makes more sense with Shelden Williams.

How does he count as 11 million against the cap???

Sheldon Williams is a scrub. Not sure what the incentive would be for him to be in the deal.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#7 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:58 pm

He is a free agent this offseason- he counts as 3x his salary from this season against the cap. (its actually 10.8 million).

Shelden would also be the best PF on the sixers. Thats the incentive for them. dumping green would also be incentive. MIller and green for Shelden, Lue, Wright, and Salim works in the checker. I have no doubt Philly would do that.
IPC075009
Junior

Post#8 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:03 pm

I think Williams would just take away minutes from Jason Smith, who is a better compliment to Dalembert.

Wasnt aware that Green was disliked so much in Philly.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#9 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:07 pm

getting rid of green just clears up an additional 3.4 million dollars in caproom next year. There are better uses for that caproom. And since he has 3 years left on his contract then it will be tough to get rid of him in another way. Frankly if the Sixers were both getting Shelden and getting rid of Willie they are probably not putting enough value in.

And Shelden would take minutes away from Reggie Evans. Which is good because Philly would love to dump him as well.
IPC075009
Junior

Post#10 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:13 pm

so exactly how do they plan on dumping him without showcasing him. IF he is getting no pt on a sorry team, who would want him?

Sheldon, imo, is a terrible fit next to Dalembert. I really dont think he would bring anything good to the table for philly.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#11 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:37 pm

IPC- what are you talkign about. When he was healthy the Sixers were giving Green 30 minutes a night.

And how on earth do you see Shelden as a worse fit than Evans next to Dalembert? Shelden is a strong rebounder who defends well. He certainly has more offense than Evans. Why on earth would you consider that to be a bad fit!? And Anyway- if the sixers were able to get out of green's contract then the players they actually get aren't that important. Put it this way- the sixers would likely give up a first rounder to get expirings for green. They would like to get expirings plus a first rounder for Miller. Shelden is a useful player and likely would be the best PF on philly until this offseason. And if they would rather have an expiring than Shelden then I don't think they would ahve any problem flipping him to someone like Orlando.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#12 » by dms269 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:54 pm

IPC075009 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The thing is that you got to give up something to get something. AJ may be playing good now, but there is no way he is better than Miller. Miller is the best player in this deal and Childress is a young player that would make the Sixers want to do this deal.

AJs expiring is a very small amount that really means nothing by itself. I think you should ask yourself, if you were the sixers would you deal miller for zaza, lue, and zen. I dont think so. Smith could log some minutes at backup SF if need to, i would imagine.

I'm not a fan of Andre Miller to begin with because he can't hit the 3 which is what Atlanta needs. Your trades do not help Atlanta. Smith can't just switch over if he is going to play 35 minutes a night at his normal position. Trading Chill brings in all sorts of lineup issues. Atlanta is not going to give up a ton to get Miller because the way he plays does not fit in the way Atlanta plays.

If I was the sixers I would not deal Miller for zaza, lue, and wright; however Atlanta would not do a deal with chill and all 3 of their expirings either.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24

Return to Trades and Transactions