Gasol to NJ blockbuster - with UTA/HOU

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

Gasol to NJ blockbuster - with UTA/HOU 

Post#1 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:47 pm

Memphis
out: Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Brian Cardinal, Stromile Swift
in: Sean Williams, CJ Miles, 2008 NJN 1st, 2008 HOU 1st, Kirk Snyder, Jamaal Magloire, Ronnie Price, Jarron Collins (cut), Steve Francis (cut), cash

They start over and rebuild by getting a great prospect at PF/C in Sean Williams, a young SG with potential in CJ Miles, 2 1sts to go with their lottery pick, and also manage to dump Cardinal and Swift. If Miles does well in here, they can deal Miller for some more young players and draft picks.

Rotation:
Darko/Brown
Sean Williams/Warrick
Gay/Snyder
Miller/Miles/
Conley/Lowry/Price

New Jersey
out: Richard Jefferson, Sean Williams, Jamaal Magloire, Bostjan Nachbar, Darrell Armstrong, 2008 1st
in: Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Shane Battier, Brian Cardinal

They mortgage their future to go for the title before Kidd is done. They get a legit low-post scoring threat in Gasol, without depleting any depth at the wing -- Navarro will be great off the bench at both guard positions, while Battier will be the ultimate glue guy for the squad. They take on Cardinal, but with so many scoring threats on the floor, Cardinal's ability to shoot may actually help him land a role there. This squad might actually be able to compete with Boston and Detroit with the depth they have.

Rotation:
Gasol/Krstic/Collins
Boone/Allen/Cardinal
Battier/Wright
Carter/Navarro
Kidd/Marcus Williams/Navarro

Utah
out: Jason Hart, Jarron Collins, Ronnie Price, CJ Miles
in: Stromile Swift, Darrell Armstrong, Luther Head

DA might be old, but he is still better than Hart as their backup PG. Come playoff time, DA's savvy and energy will be extremely valuable to the squad. Swift is a gamble but no center on the Jazz team can provide interior defense as good as he does. Head's ability to play PG and SG will be valuable to the Jazz team, as Sloan loves to play two PGs in the backcourt. Head also gets to reunite with college buddy Deron Williams.

Rotation:
Okur/Swift
Boozer/Millsap
AK/Korver/Harpring
Brewer/Head
DWill/DA/Head

Houston
out: Shane Battier, Steve Francis, Kirk Snyder, Luther Head, 2008 1st, cash
in: Richard Jefferson, Jason Hart

Battier might be a good team player, but on a team with this few true scoring options, trying to be the 3rd option is probably too much for him. In Jefferson, they get a legit scoring option behind Yao and T-Mac. Hart gives them defense at the PG position, if nothing else.

Rotation:
Yao/Scola/Mutombo
Scola/Hayes/Landry
Jefferson/Wells
T-Mac/Wells/James
Alston/James/Hart
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#2 » by CAE15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:57 pm

Na, rather have CJ then Head, swift wouldnt see the court, Armstrong not bad but still no, leave utah out of it.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#3 » by dark-child » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:58 pm

Please just leave Memphis out of it, if this was the best you could come up with. Your proposal was like being invited for some swinger action and the three other chicks are Rosanne O'Donnel, Star Jones, and Rosanne Barr. Even if all three are rich there is not enough Vodka in the world to convince your shorty to take one for the team.
Secret Lover14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,419

Post#4 » by Secret Lover14 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:02 pm

I'll do it for Houston
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Post#5 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:03 pm

Take Utah out. No need to have them in. We could keep Swift.

Getting Sean Williams is nice...but we'd need just a bit more.

Those draft picks won't cut it.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:05 pm

You won't have CJ much longer, while Head can be extended or offered another year. Swift would see as much PT as Collins, at least. Darrell is way old, but HotSpurs is right; he and Head are a BIGTIME upgrade to Hart/Price. I'm not going to fight the Jazz to stay at the trading table, because they really don't add value or purpose to the trade. Btu the value is fair...

I have one problem with NJ's side. I would much rather send Krstic than Sean Williams, and would include a 2nd to swap them in this trade. Having both Nenad and Pau doesn't make sense for the Nets.

HOU's end might be too good, although I bet the fans won't admit it.

Good idea, 21.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#7 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:06 pm

^ how about take out the HOU 1st and include Scola?
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#8 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:06 pm

Houston says YES!
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:08 pm

I don't like it all that much for Utah. Swift is as low bball-IQ as they come, and if he saw as many minutes as Collins it would only be because all the other C's on the team were injured. This is Jerry Sloan we're talking about.

I don't see Head as all that great an improvement over CJ, and while I like Armstrong, he's a 3rd PG now.

Just doesn't improve us enough...if the other teams are happy with us out of there, so am I.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#10 » by CAE15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:10 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:You won't have CJ much longer, while Head can be extended or offered another year. Swift would see as much PT as Collins, at least. Darrell is way old, but HotSpurs is right; he and Head are a BIGTIME upgrade to Hart/Price. I'm not going to fight the Jazz to stay at the trading table, because they really don't add value or purpose to the trade. Btu the value is fair...

I have one problem with NJ's side. I would much rather send Krstic than Sean Williams, and would include a 2nd to swap them in this trade. Having both Nenad and Pau doesn't make sense for the Nets.

HOU's end might be too good, although I bet the fans won't admit it.

Good idea, 21.

good point, perhaps we sell high on him this year before the deadline but for what? rather keep Cj then get some young rookie who wont even play.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:15 pm

Head is a young rookie who won't even play? What are you talking about?!

Seriously, this needs to be a 3-team deal. Shall we let this one die, HotSpurs21? I can draw up the NJN-HOU-MEM version.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#12 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:22 pm

Would the Jazz feel better if they get Magloire instead of Swift?

If not, I don't think it's salvageable for the Jazz then.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#13 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:23 pm

I think it's pretty good for the Jazz as is. The only thing we give up of value is Miles and we get 3 players that could/would contribute in return.

And I'm not sure how much we need Miles with Korver on the team anyway.

So, unlike most Jazz fans, I think I do this.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#14 » by TMACFORMVP » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:39 pm

Richard Jefferson would be perfect as a third option. A guy that can knock down the open shot and can create his own shot and get to the free throw line. I'd definitely do this deal.

Return to Trades and Transactions