Washington/Boston Deadline deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Washington/Boston Deadline deal 

Post#1 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:34 pm

* Scenario - Wizards have been eliminated from playoff contention (highly probable).

Deal -

To Boston

Antonio Daniels/Dominic McGuire

To Washington

Tony Allen/Brian Scalabrine/Eddie House

Boston gets a bigger guard to defend Chauncey Billups come playoff time in Antonio Daniels.
HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#2 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:38 pm

we can probably make it simpler and do Tony Allen/Scalabrine for Daniels

though I don't know what BOS fans think of Tony Allen.

I think having a steady veteran Daniels with championship experience to be Rondo's backup is totally worth it

I doubt the Wizards do this though
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#3 » by VintaGe36 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:39 pm

If the wiz trade AD, they wont trad Dmac.

I refuse to absorb Veals contract in a trade for AD, he could probably land us expirings.

WAS passes.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:41 pm

HotSpurs21 wrote:
I think having a steady veteran Daniels with championship experience to be Rondo's backup is totally worth it

Agree.

That simpler version works too.

I included House so that Washington could get an up on signing him in the offseason if they wanted. But he and McGuire don't have to be included.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:45 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:If the wiz trade AD, they wont trad Dmac.

I refuse to absorb Veals contract in a trade for AD, he could probably land us expirings.

WAS passes.

Nobody's giving an expiring for Daniels.

Washington would be lucky to get a guy with a smaller deal (half the cap number) and a talent like Tony Allen for AD.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#6 » by VintaGe36 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:55 pm

IF Bibby cannot be had at the deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if CLE traded their expirings for AD.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:04 pm

Can't see Cleveland giving up expirings for Daniels.

Not with their cap situation.

If anything they'll try to get them to take Larry Hughes back in Washington by offering their first and getting some combination of AD, Songaila, Etan Thomas back in return.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#8 » by yungal07 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:09 pm

First of all, how is it highly probable the Wizards are out of playoff contention? LOL, your post is flawed just off that logic alone.

Secondly, we don't want that junk for AD. AD is a very good player, and in my opinion he's well worth his contract. The junk we get back wouldn't play minutes at all.

Pass.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#9 » by miller31time » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:17 pm

Yeah, the reasoning is flawed. Washington, if anything, is probable to make the playoffs. Secondly, you're undervaluing AD's contribution and value to the Wizards organization. He' a top 3 backup point guard on this league and has stepped up in a big way starting for us in Gilbert's absence.

Adding Dominic McGuire and Brian Scalabrine to the equation is adding insult to injury.

Whether you believe it or not, and whether you believe me or not, he is most certainly worth expiring contracts.

Basically, no deal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Washington/Boston Deadline deal 

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:23 pm

pardon_my_interruption wrote:Deal -

To Boston

Antonio Daniels/Dominic McGuire

To Washington

Tony Allen/Brian Scalabrine/Eddie House

Boston gets a bigger guard to defend Chauncey Billups come playoff time in Antonio Daniels.

Is it just me, or isn't Tony Allen as big and stronger than AD AND better able to defend Billups?
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Washington/Boston Deadline deal 

Post#11 » by yungal07 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is it just me, or isn't Tony Allen as big and stronger than AD AND better able to defend Billups?

The problem is that Tony Allen can't run a team and isn't nearly as good a player as Daniels is.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#12 » by fishercob » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:33 pm

Yeah, according to Hollinger's newest probabilities, the Wiz are 90.8% likely to make the playoffs. While that's hardly gospel, it's certainly a leap to say that the Wiz highly probable to be eliminated from playoff contention by the deadline.

Further, the Wiz will want AD in the rotation next year when they're fully healthy. He may be slightly overpaid, but they're not trading him for trash.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by pardon_my_interruption » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:43 pm

Well...if they make it, it will just be a testament to how much Butler has grown as a player and how well they trust in each other as a team.

That would be a good thing.

However, the month of February will be unkind to Washington.

Fri 01 vs Utah
Sun 03 vs LA Lakers
Tue 05 @ Philadelphia
Wed 06 vs San Antonio
Fri 08 @ Denver
Sun 10 @ Phoenix
Mon 11 @ Golden State
Wed 13 @ LA Clippers
Tue 19 vs New York
Fri 22 @ Cleveland

They also play the Celtics and Raptors twice in January, the Mavs, Cleveland, and the Bucks twice in Milwaukee.

So..again, if they make it with Arenas out, then thats a great achievement.
KyleCleric
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#14 » by KyleCleric » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:43 pm

The Celtics are unlikely to trade Eddie House this year. He is one of the few reliable bench players that they do have. Trading him for another player that would fill a similar role would be a lateral move and with this particular trade would also mean their 8th most important player would be gone as well. Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine for AD might work for the Celtics though I'm not sure if does for the Wizards. Of course by the deadline this conversation could be mute if Allen returns to form as he always does once he's had 1 or 2 months of play after recovering from injury.

Return to Trades and Transactions