LAL/ATL/CHI

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

LAL/ATL/CHI 

Post#1 » by SportsFan215 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:02 am

Lakers Get: J. Johnson/PJ Brown
Lakers Give: Odom/Mihm

Bulls Get: Odom/Mihm
Bulls Give: Gordon/Noah/PJ Brown (S&T 1yr/6mil)

Hawks Get: Gordon/Noah
Hawks Give: J. Johnson

Why for Lakers?
Joe Johnson would be Kobe's Pippen. He isn't playing as well as he could right now in Atlanta, and a change of scenery might be the right thing for him right now. PJ Brown bring another veteran presence to a young team, he can help mentor Bynum.

Why for Bulls?
They need to do something to turn around their season before it's too late. Lamar Odom might be the answer. He is extremely versatile and can play the 3 or 4. The Bulls were interested in Mihm in the offseason, and he could help out in the middle.

Why for Atlanta?
They are sliding a little bit right now, and Joe Johnson could be traded right now to get some pieces to improve the team. First they save a lot of money in this deal to help them sign Josh Smith, etc in the offseason. Ben Gordon will replace Joe Johnson at the 2 guard, and Noah could be the real center they need. Pairing him next to Al Horford would help him, too.

Thoughts?
Taiwan Killa
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Taiwan Killa » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:05 am

I like it for all teams.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:08 am

Once again, Lakers are going to have to give a lot more than that to earn Joe Johnson.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#4 » by tviper » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:27 am

loserX wrote:Once again, Lakers are going to have to give a lot more than that to earn Joe Johnson.

I agree...have to add one of the PGs at a minimum...
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#5 » by boogydown » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:34 am

It's good for the Lakers, bad for CHI/ATL

Why would CHI need another SF and C? Who plays SG in Chicago now? They now have 4 SF. Odom is a SF, terrible at PF. They also would pick up Milm last season if they wanted him, Gray = Milm.
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Harry10 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:04 am

Hawks fan here

..... nice trade, very respectable.... but no thanks.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#7 » by dms269 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:23 pm

No from Atlanta. Having to resign 3 players would be very hard, especially when two wants the max and one could possibly take the QO and be ufa. Noah is solid but the trade doesn't fill a need for the Hawks. They still have a hole at pg, plus I don't like the idea of a backup being a major part of the deal (aka Noah).
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#8 » by coldfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:42 pm

Chicago isn't doing that on multiple levels.

Bulls after the trade:
Hinrich / Duhon
no one
Deng / Odom / Nocioni / Sefolosha / Thomas / Griffin
Smith
Wallace / Mihm / Gray

Several of those 3's can play the 4, but its not their natural position.

Quite frankly, if Atlanta would give up Joe Johnson for that, the Bulls would just cut out LA and take Johnson themselves.

This is one of those trades where a third team is just trying to screw over two other ones.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by SportsFan215 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:25 pm

First of all Odom struggles at the 3. He is much more effective playing the 4. Yes I agree that the Bulls wouldn't have much at the 2 guard, but last time I checked Thabo, Griffin, Hinrich could all play there. I could even see Deng get some minutes there, and Ty Thomas is a PF, not a SF.

Here is another revised deal:

Lakers Get: J. Johnson/PJ Brown
Lakers Give: Odom/Crittenton

Bulls Get: Odom/Stoudamire
Bulls Give: Gordon/Noah/PJ Brown (S&T 1yr/4.5mil)

Hawks Get: Gordon/Noah/Crittenton
Hawks Give: J. Johnson/Stoudamire

If I were the Bulls, I would start both Duhon and Hinrich and have Thabo, Griffin, and Salim coming off the bench at the 2 guard.

Bulls
Duhon/Hinrich/Curry/Stoudamire
Hinrich/Thabo/Griffin/Stoudamire
Deng/Noc/Nichols
Odom/Thomas/Khryapa
Wallace/Smith/Gray

For the Hawks, nobody is going to give him the max, so he can keep dreaming. After this trade, they will save almost $6 million and most of the money coming in this trade is from Ben Gordon (Noah and Crittenton make almost nothing.) So they could resign Gordon with some of this money, and then resign the Joshes.

Hawks
Law/Johnson/Crittenton/Lue
Gordon/Childress
Williams/Childress/Smith
Smith/Williams/Horford/Jones
Horford/Noah/Pachulia/Wright
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#10 » by hermes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:34 pm

Taiwan Killa wrote:I like it for all teams.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#11 » by coldfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:36 pm

Again, I would rather just cut LA out of the deal and take Joe Johnson (which Atl would not do anyways). The resulting team would be far better.

Some background: The Bulls backcourt this year has sucked. Gordon has been the best player in there. Thabo and Duhon in particular have been horrible. In the frontcourt, the Bulls have too many people, but have got a lot of quality play out of the PF rotation, despite inconsistent minutes. Essentially, the Bulls would be left with 7 frontcourt players and only Hinrich in the backcourt.
Blazer77
Junior
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Blazer77 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:34 pm

From ATL perspective, I doubt they'd move their franchise player for only Ben Gordon and Joakim Noah. It not THAT enticing to pair Horford and Noah together and then they go from having a PG problem to having both a PG and a SG problem.

The imbalance of the Bulls roster has already been pointed out and the only team that really benefits from this deal is the Lakers.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#13 » by old rem » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:43 pm

coldfish wrote:Chicago isn't doing that on multiple levels.

Bulls after the trade:
Hinrich / Duhon
no one
Deng / Odom / Nocioni / Sefolosha / Thomas / Griffin
Smith
Wallace / Mihm / Gray

Several of those 3's can play the 4, but its not their natural position.

Quite frankly, if Atlanta would give up Joe Johnson for that, the Bulls would just cut out LA and take Johnson themselves.

This is one of those trades where a third team is just trying to screw over two other ones.

:nod: .....right.....more KY Jelly....
CENSORED... No comment.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#14 » by BR0D1E86 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:24 pm

I doubt the Bulls have much interest in severely unbalancing their roster for the purpose of adding a non-impact player.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#15 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:21 am

I just don't see how the Lakers play JJ and Kobe at the same time, they DO NOT want to play Kobe at the three, and I think they have a HUGE hole at the 4.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by SportsFan215 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:24 am

^ Joe Johnson would then play the three. Then they would trade something like Kwame for a Drew Gooden for example.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#17 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:57 am

SportsFan215 wrote:^ Joe Johnson would then play the three. Then they would trade something like Kwame for a Drew Gooden for example.

Yes, the cavaliers are in the business of unloading their productive young players for expirings. So LeBron will stay.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#18 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:01 am

Joe Johnson at the three? Risk losing out on the glass and in the west that means he guards Melo-JHoward-Peja-Hill-TMac, guys who can shoot over him or go down on the block.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,447

Post#19 » by CBS7 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:35 pm

I'd definitely trade Gordon and Noah for Joe Johnson if it were possible. Much rather do that then get Odom.

Hinrich / Duhon
Johnson / Sefolosha
Deng / Nocioni
Smith / Thomas
Wallace / Gray

Return to Trades and Transactions