Redd to New Orleans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Redd to New Orleans 

Post#1 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:51 pm

I posted this on the Bucks board and need outsider opinions:

Redd to New Orleans for:

Julian Wright, Hilton Armstrong, Bobby Jackson and Rasual Butler

Hornets don't have the best contracts (expirings) to make it work but Bobby's expires after next season and Rasual Butler is signed to a fairly reasonable deal.

This one seems realistic fromt he Hornets perspective since they are in "win now" mode and have a big hole at SG. A Paul/Redd/Peja/West/Chandler would do serious damage in the West.

For the Bucks, Wright is a pretty comparable prospect to Green which is what the Sonics got for Ray.

Could use some tweaking since it might deplete the Hornets bench too much but what you all think of the general idea?
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#2 » by CAE15 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:58 pm

When did Redd's value drop sooo much? what do any of thos eplayers do for the bucks? Hilton armstrong can play what 10 minutes that bogut and YI dont play? Bobby to backup Mo thats allright but no way new orleans only loses that crap and gets redd.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#3 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:03 pm

New Jazzy Nets wrote:When did Redd's value drop sooo much? what do any of thos eplayers do for the bucks? Hilton armstrong can play what 10 minutes that bogut and YI dont play? Bobby to backup Mo thats allright but no way new orleans only loses that crap and gets redd.

I don't consider this demonstrating that his value dropped a ton. Compare it to the Allen trade:

Wright and Green were viewed by many on the same tier level of prospects going into the draft. Green probably went earlier because he was the more polished player. In terms of talent level, there isn't a huge difference there. He's a solid prospect.

We get another 2nd tier prospect in Armstrong like the Sonics did with Delonte West. He might not pan out but they thought highly enough of him to spend a lottery pick on him in 2006.

Jackson/Butler > Wally because they are owed less money over the next two years. As bad as our SF position has been, Butler would help.

If you want, have NO's throw in what will be a low first. But I don't think the value is that far off in my initial trade.

There are not a ton of options out there for trading Redd for picks/prospects. This is a reasonable one IMO.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#4 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:04 pm

Not nearly enough value for Redd

We need some sort of an actualy player in return for Redd.

NO is not a good trade partner for Redd
Simulack
RealGM

Post#5 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:06 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Not nearly enough value for Redd

What sort of actual player did the Sonics get for Ray? Wally?

NO's is one of the better trade partners for Redd. They have a hole at SG and have some young prospects like Wright.

You think its horribly unfair even if they add a first? What did the 76ers get for Iverson who is a much better player? Andre Miller and two low firsts. We are getting two lottery picks here from the last two drafts.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#6 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:08 pm

Simulack wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What sort of "actualy" player did the Sonics get for Ray? Wally?

NO's is one of the better trade partners for Redd. They have a hole at SG and have some young prospects like Wright.

You think its horribly unfair even if they add a first? What did the 76ers get for Iverson who is a much better player? Andre Miller and two low firsts. We are getting two lottery picks here from the last two drafts.

Ummm, do you know who Jeff Green is?

Much better prospect than Julian Wright, although I do like JW and the Bucks could use him but I just don't like a package for Redd based on him.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#7 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:11 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Ummm, do you know who Jeff Green is?

Much better prospect than Julian Wright, although I do like JW and the Bucks could use him but I just don't like a package for Redd based on him.

Green ended up going higher but that was primarily because he was a more polished, experienced player. I read a ton of stuff pre-draft and these guys were generally considered on the same tier. I also read a ton on the Bucks board at the time and there were plenty there who wanted Wright over Green if we were picking between the two.

There's no HUGE drop off between the two as prospects. Like I said, add a pick if that makes it better. You can't expect to get more than TWO lottery picks and a late first for Redd.

Any NO's fans care to chime in? This clearly depletes your bench so perhaps you guys are the ones who decline.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#8 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:04 pm

If it helps, the trade also passes the checker if Charlie Bell is included for some total piece of junk to give the Hornets a bench player who has played the 1/2/3 spots for the Bucks.

He has been garbage this year but came flat out and said he didn't want the Bucks to match Miami's offer this off-season so that is probably part of the problem. Last year he 14/3/3 guy who played solid defense.
Mr.BattierMVP
Junior
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Mr.BattierMVP » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:27 pm

Terrible deal for the Bucks. JW<<Green.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#10 » by hermes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:32 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Not nearly enough value for Redd

Simulack
RealGM

Post#11 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:32 pm

Mr.BattierMVP wrote:Terrible deal for the Bucks. JW<<Green.

You think Wright couldn't average 9/5 on the worst team in the league?

Its really terrible even if you add a first? Wow, the Sonics and Sixers were complete morons to trade Allen and Iverson for so little when a player like Redd is worth drastically more than two lottery picks and a future first.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#12 » by shrink » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:19 pm

I don't think Simulack made such a bad trade. Julian Wright and Hilton Armstrong were both late lottery picks, and if MIL is dealing Redd, its for a rebuild to acquire prospects. If they aren't interested in the new "HA," he's a young big -- you could send him elsewhere. I think that NO and MIL are good trade partners.

Let me also say to MIL fans that Redd is a terrific shooter and scorer - one of the best in the league. However, he is completely indifferent to playing defense, and that's a very big deal to contending teams -- particularly if they are dropping max money on a guy. Maybe the deal should include a 1st from NO, and maybe not, but when you do your player valuations, you need to take in the whole player here, not just a guy's scoring.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#13 » by Simulack » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:55 pm

shrink wrote:I don't think Simulack made such a bad trade. Julian Wright and Hilton Armstrong were both late lottery picks, and if MIL is dealing Redd, its for a rebuild to acquire prospects. If they aren't interested in the new "HA," he's a young big -- you could send him elsewhere. I think that NO and MIL are good trade partners.

Let me also say to MIL fans that Redd is a terrific shooter and scorer - one of the best in the league. However, he is completely indifferent to playing defense, and that's a very big deal to contending teams -- particularly if they are dropping max money on a guy. Maybe the deal should include a 1st from NO, and maybe not, but when you do your player valuations, you need to take in the whole player here, not just a guy's scoring.

I don't think the posts here are indicative of what most Milwaukee fans think. When I posted it on our board, it got a few "I'd do that" and a few other lukewarm reactions of the "It's OK but Wright hasn't shown much" variety.

Like I said, if some think that two lottery picks from the 2006 and 2007 drafts and a future first for Redd aren't enough then they haven't been paying attention to what guys like Allen and Iverson were traded for.

Return to Trades and Transactions