Package Ford and Bargs to Memphis?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

AllKnowingNBAer
Banned User
And1: 2

Package Ford and Bargs to Memphis? 

Post#1 » by AllKnowingNBAer » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:07 pm

I already brought up a trade idea with the soon-to-be-rebuilding Grizzlies before involving Bargnani and pieces for Gasol. After watching the Raps on this West Coast road swing and short home stand, we are in dire need for interior toughness AND perimeter rebounding (well...rebounding from anywhere outside of Bosh and Hump really).

If the Raps are ever going to get any of these pieces, we have to come to terms with the fact that we're going to have to give up at least one of our PGs. Once TJ comes back, I'm positive his injury fears will be forgotten and he'll be playing at his high level in no time.

But if things just keep going the way they are, we could easily be just that treadmill team that everyone fears, and unless we luck out in the draft or in MLE free agency, we look to stay this way unless we make a trade.

How about this...

To Memphis:

TJ Ford
Bargnani
Rasho Nesterovic
Juan Dixon
1st round draft pick

To Toronto:

Pau Gasol
Mike Miller
Juan Carlos Navarro

The small market, rebuilding Grizzlies get their cap relief through the soon to be expiring contracts of Rasho and Dixon, they get a first round draft pick, and they get two young quality prospects in Ford and Bargnani.

The Raps get their inside presence, and legitimate no.2 scoring guy, in Pau Gasol. They get a potent, high rebounding wing player in Mike Miller as well. This 4 for 3 trade commits the Raps to a bit of salary but it upgrades their starting lineup substantially, and makes them more built for the playoff, especially in the Eastern Conference.

The only problems would be a hole in the bacup PG position for the Raps, and the fact that Memphis has at least one solid young PG prospect already. But remember, for a rebuilding team, these types of players become assets in future trades, and a prospect is only a prospect until the potential is realized. As for that Raps hole at backup PG...no team is perfect. Calderon has done well in extended minutes, and the MLE in the offseason could bring us what we need to fill this kind of hole.

It is much, much easier to fill "depth" holes with the MLE, than it is to fill in these vital, key holes that the Raps look to be facing now and in the future.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 223

Post#2 » by supertruck97 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:15 pm

Holy Lord that's a terrible deal for Memphis.

Gasol > Bargnani + Rasho
Miller > A Broken Ford and Dixon
JCN = 1st

That's just terrible.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#3 » by Spykes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:18 pm

As a non-biased observer, I don't care for this deal from either teams perspective.

For Memphis, I don't think they get enough for what they're giving up. Bargnani hasn't really progressed as much as one would hope. Ford is a huge question mark with his spinal cord problems. The Raptors pick is nothing special. And Rasho and Dixon amount to little more than a expiring contracts. Memphis really doesn't need another young PG with Conley and Lowry already there. Considering that the Grizz are also giving up a promising young rookie in Navarro and a sharpshooting point-forward in Miller, it's just not that wise a move.

For the Raptors, I really don't think the idea of a Bosh/Gasol frontcourt is a great idea. It certainly does nothing to address their frontcourt toughness issues and Gasol has proven to be fairly injury prone of the last few year. Then with Miller, the Raptors are basically just duplicating talent that they already have with Kapono. Navarro is a nice piece, but he'll have a hard time getting minutes in a fairly crowded Raptors backcourt.
risktaker91
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by risktaker91 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:04 pm

We can't get all 3 in that package. At best we get Gasol...
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#5 » by boogiesdad » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:08 pm

take ford, miller and JCN out, add a #2 and its plausible
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,736

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:13 pm

Agree with Spykes, this deal doesn't make sense for either side.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#7 » by Schad » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:54 pm

boogiesdad wrote:take ford, miller and JCN out, add a #2 and its plausible

Doing the math, that'd be something like Gasol for Bargs, Rasho + 1st (we don't have any 2nds)? Because I think that Toronto would be very much interested.
**** your asterisk.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Post#8 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:14 am

Schadenfreude wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Doing the math, that'd be something like Gasol for Bargs, Rasho + 1st (we don't have any 2nds)? Because I think that Toronto would be very much interested.

Anything more then that I would walk at I mean Bargnani is struggling with his defense now but is still a good prospect to have since he passes well and is learning the game was Dirk this good in his 2nd season? No, but Bargnani could devlop into a decient rebuilding peice and a core of Conley, Darko, Gay, Bargnani, two 1st round picks and some cap relief is a good thing to have. Not saying they should do the deal but it's not terrible for them.
supertruck97
Veteran

Post#9 » by supertruck97 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:18 am

xbl_sucks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Anything more then that I would walk at I mean Bargnani is struggling with his defense now but is still a good prospect to have since he passes well and is learning the game was Dirk this good in his 2nd season? No, but Bargnani could devlop into a decient rebuilding peice and a core of Conley, Darko, Gay, Bargnani, two 1st round picks and some cap relief is a good thing to have. Not saying they should do the deal but it's not terrible for them.

Dirk in yr 2 put up:
17.5 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 2.5 Ast, 46% Fg.

So.....yeah, Bargs is no Dirk. Not even close.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Post#10 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:22 am

supertruck97 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Dirk in yr 2 put up:
17.5 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 2.5 Ast, 46% Fg.

So.....yeah, Bargs is no Dirk. Not even close.

He also played 13 more mins per game then Bargnani as well they are comparable even Dirk said it himself. I mean I am not saying Bargnani is better then Dirk but the numbers are comparable.
supertruck97
Veteran

Post#11 » by supertruck97 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:26 am

I find that when a player plays well, he gets more playing time. If Bargs isn't getting playing time, it's not because of any other factor then he is not playing well enough to deserve more time.

I hate when people use PT as an excuse. If he was as good as Dirk was in year 2, then he'd be getting more minutes. Simply put, He's not.
zong
Assistant Coach
And1: 101

Post#12 » by zong » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:48 am

too many PGs at Memphis after this, and we dont need Miller because we have Kapono, Bosh is about the same as Gasol in terms of similarity of post moves, and JCN breaks the deal anyway

Bargnani + Fillers for Gasol and Cardinal might be an idea

Return to Trades and Transactions