CLE/NJ/SAC

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, BullyKing, MoneyTalks41890, Trader_Joe

deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

CLE/NJ/SAC 

Post#1 » by deviljets7 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:21 am

CLE Trades: Drew Gooden, Eric Snow, Ira Newble, Cedric Simmons and a #1
CLE Gets: Mike Bibby and Kenny Thomas

NJ Trades: Jamal Magliore, Jason Collins and a #1
NJ Gets: Drew Gooden and Shareef Abdur-Raheem

SAC Trades: Mike Bibby, Kenny Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Raheem
SAC Gets: Eric Snow, Ira Newble, Cedric Simmons, Jamal Magliore, Jason Collins and 2 #1 picks.

Why for CLE: Bibby fills a major hole at PG and gives the Cavs a #2 option. Losing Gooden hurts, but they don't have many assets and they get to keep Varejao and Gibson. Thomas has a bad contract, but can still be a useful big off the bench.

Why for NJ: Gooden may not be an all-star, but he does represent an upgrade over Boone in the starting lineup. If/when Krstic gets healthy, NJ suddenly has a pretty deep front court with Gooden, Krstic, Boone and Sean Williams.

Why for SAC: As part of the rebuilding process, the Kings look to be dumping the contracts of SAR and/or Thomas. Two first rounders and Simmons admittedly doesn't seem like a ton for Bibby, but SAC drops their two worst contracts in SAR and Kenny. Collins and Snow both are a year shorter than SAR/Thomas plus provide leadership and defensive depth if nothing else. With this trade, they save $14 million in 08/09 and $15.35 million in 09/10. It also makes it easier to move Artest for his full value, whatever that may be.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#2 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:37 am

I don't think it's practical for Sacramento to move both SAR & KT with Bibby, because it's almost impossible to gauge value for that package.

I think this is a decent shot at this, but even with 2 1sts, I'm not sure that Petrie would look at this and think it was all that great an idea.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,476

Post#3 » by KF10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:42 am

Im not the type who jumps and trade Bibby off the bat... Im currently in a "wait and see" mode with him. So, Kings decline...
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#4 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:48 am

kingsfan10 wrote:Im not the type who jumps and trade Bibby off the bat... Im currently in a "wait and see" mode with him. So, Kings decline...

I'd say that's pretty universal between most all Kings fans, that we'll wait at least until Bibby has a few games under his belt and shows he can produce at a high level.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,476

Post#5 » by KF10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:49 am

Bac2Basics wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd say that's pretty universal between most all Kings fans, that we'll wait at least until Bibby has a few games under his belt and shows he can produce at a high level.

Yeah. I do believe that Bibby will make us better and will be the player that we forgotten he was....
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#6 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:52 am

The 1st round picks would give the Kings 3 picks in 2008 1st round. Sounds great but they need a guy like Michael Beasley not 3 mid 1st rounders. If it's trading Bibby or Artest I say Artest 100%. I'd have to pass because they get 5 scrubs that don't even expire until at least after next year. Admirable try but no thanks.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#7 » by deviljets7 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:53 am

Bac2Basics wrote:I don't think it's practical for Sacramento to move both SAR & KT with Bibby, because it's almost impossible to gauge value for that package.

I think this is a decent shot at this, but even with 2 1sts, I'm not sure that Petrie would look at this and think it was all that great an idea.

I understand where you're coming from here. I don't know how much Petrie is going to value money vs. talent. Gooden's a solid player, but with Hawes, Brad Miller and Mikki Moore, SAC would seem to be better off dealing Gooden elsewhere.

I'm coming into this thread as a Nets fan, looking to solidify the front court without breaking up the Big 3 or dealing their big man prospects.

I don't know if this would change the opinion of Kings fans, but I'd consider dealing Marcus Williams or another future #1 (not definite), if I didn't have to take SAR and his contract.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

Post#8 » by LPKingsFan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:24 am

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:The 1st round picks would give the Kings 3 picks in 2008 1st round. Sounds great but they need a guy like Michael Beasley not 3 mid 1st rounders. If it's trading Bibby or Artest I say Artest 100%. I'd have to pass because they get 5 scrubs that don't even expire until at least after next year. Admirable try but no thanks.

Say the Kings finished poorly and ended up with a pick between 6th or 8th. The Cleveland and NJ picks turn out to be in the 15-20 range each. Do you think Minny would be willing to trade the #1 pick (Beasley) for the 6 pick (Hibbert or Koufos) who would be better fits for their team and the two other picks as sweetner? Doubtful, but if the Kings could pull it off I'd say do this trade.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:48 am

deviljets7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand where you're coming from here. I don't know how much Petrie is going to value money vs. talent. Gooden's a solid player, but with Hawes, Brad Miller and Mikki Moore, SAC would seem to be better off dealing Gooden elsewhere.

I'm coming into this thread as a Nets fan, looking to solidify the front court without breaking up the Big 3 or dealing their big man prospects.

I don't know if this would change the opinion of Kings fans, but I'd consider dealing Marcus Williams or another future #1 (not definite), if I didn't have to take SAR and his contract.

Petrie has shown interest in Gooden in the past but reports were that was out the window with the signing of Gooden.

Trust me, I think the Kings would jump all over this deal in a second. I also think it's pretty good for all teams.

Good job bro! :clap:
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:50 am

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:The 1st round picks would give the Kings 3 picks in 2008 1st round. Sounds great but they need a guy like Michael Beasley not 3 mid 1st rounders. If it's trading Bibby or Artest I say Artest 100%. I'd have to pass because they get 5 scrubs that don't even expire until at least after next year. Admirable try but no thanks.

I disagree. I think the Kings could easily use a DeVon Hardin, Kevin Love, Richard Hendrix, or DJ White.

We get cap space! We get picks! Nothing more needs to be said, deal works.
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#11 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:08 am

The idea of having 3 1st round picks is great, but I just wonder if the baggage in the package the Kings take back doesn't counteract too significant a portion of the positive movement created by getting those picks.

The simple answer is to wait until Bibby comes back and gets a few games under his belt and then we'll see how the dynamics change.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,538

Post#12 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:15 am

I know its only a few starts for Boone, but I don't see Gooden as a major upgrade. Especially to give up a pick and an expiring.

Man Magloire is just as good as Boone, L Frank is just a moron and won't play the guy.

I would rather deal directly with Sacto for Brad Miller.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#13 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:32 am

Bac2Basics wrote:The idea of having 3 1st round picks is great, but I just wonder if the baggage in the package the Kings take back doesn't counteract too significant a portion of the positive movement created by getting those picks.

The simple answer is to wait until Bibby comes back and gets a few games under his belt and then we'll see how the dynamics change.

Bibby could come back average 50 points and 20 rebounds but that won't change the number of deals and most likely the quality of the deals out there. Sure it might be wise to wait until the last minute because something out of this world may pop up but I doubt it. Just get it done already before it's too late.

What "baggage" are you referring to? Any of the players we get would simply be bought out if need be. Fact is they will ALL be off the books by '09 saving us almost 25 million bucks!!! We could be as much as 15-20 million below the cap that year with the aid of this deal.

This pretty much marks of 90% of the requirements off the list IMO. Deviljets7 put together a really thought out deal and gave the exact reasons why the Kings do this deal. I think all 3 teams would do this deal and it would make all 3 teams better for what the areas they are looking to get better in.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:36 am

I don't think the Nets do this deal.

Maybe, I stress maybe if it is last minute.

Gooden is a truly solid player, but he is not a star, and often plays too emotionally.

He is not going to get you past Duncan, Dirk, KG, Dwight Howard or even Amare for that matter.

I don't know if Miller does either, but I think he is the better option and brings the better dynamic to the Nets as long as he stays healthy.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#15 » by LPKingsFan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:45 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:He is not going to get you past Duncan, Dirk, KG, Dwight Howard or even Amare for that matter.

Only a small handful of players can, including the others in that list.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:46 am

There isn't a realistic way to work Brad Miller into this deal though. Most of the Nets assets are used in this deal in what I believe to be a fair way and I wouldn't want to move Brad w/ Bibby because we would never get his full value.

I think Gooden is a pretty good nab for the Nets with what they are giving up. I also think he could fit in because he doesn't need to see the ball much. Plus you add in Reef who would be a nice bit of depth for next year. Gooden/Reef is a solid frontcourt combo with Sean/Nenad and a good fit for the big 3.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:08 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:There isn't a realistic way to work Brad Miller into this deal though. Most of the Nets assets are used in this deal in what I believe to be a fair way and I wouldn't want to move Brad w/ Bibby because we would never get his full value.

I think Gooden is a pretty good nab for the Nets with what they are giving up. I also think he could fit in because he doesn't need to see the ball much. Plus you add in Reef who would be a nice bit of depth for next year. Gooden/Reef is a solid frontcourt combo with Sean/Nenad and a good fit for the big 3.

Work nothing into no deal.
I am talking a straight up deal between the Kings and Nets for Brad Miller.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:11 am

LPKingsFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Only a small handful of players can, including the others in that list.

Yeah, but Gasol or JO teamed with the Big 3, or at least Kidd and VC has a very good chance of winning the whole thing, as long as neither of those trades completely guts us.

There are actually a lot of straight up trades you can work for Gasol(who I personally prefer over JO) between the Nets and the Grizz that don't involve the big 3, that being that the Grizz get 1 or 2 1st rounders, expirings, maybe one close to expiring in Twin and one or 2 prospects, such as Krstic and Boone, or S. Williams.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:15 am

Tell me a lineup like this couldn't easily compete for the championship:
PG Kidd
SG Carter
SF RJ
PF Gasol
C Boone or S. Williams

Bench:
Darrel Armstrong, Marcus Williams, Boki, Malik Allen and a random big man we sign for the vet min.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#20 » by LPKingsFan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:18 am

Of course that's a great lineup. Is that deal really realistic, though?

Return to Trades and Transactions