Cavs/Heat/Kings

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Cavs/Heat/Kings 

Post#1 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:43 am

Based off published interest...

The Cavs want Bibby.
The Heat want Artest.
The Kings want cap space to rebuild.

Cavs

Trade: Drew Gooden, Eric Snow, Damon Jones, Ira Newble & 2008 1st
Receive: Mike Bibby, Kenny Thomas & 2008 2nd

Why? The Cavs get their man in Bibby & only give up 1 guy that's actually in their rotation (Gooden).

Bottom Line: The 1st round pick initially keeps Ferry from pulling the trigger but comes to realization that dropping roughly 20 picks from their 1st to the Kings 2nd is worth having Bibby to play with Lebron.

Mike Bibby/Daniel Gibson
Larry Hughes/Devin Brown/Shannon Brown
Lebron James/Aleksandar Pavlovic
Anderson Varejao/Donyell Marshall/Cedric Simmons/Kenny Thomas
Zydrunas Ilgauskas/Dwayne Jones

Heat

Trade: Jason Williams, Udonis Haslem, Ricky Davis & Alonzo Mourning
Receive: Ron Artest, Drew Gooden, Eric Snow, Damon Jones & Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Why? The Heat get Artest to play along side DWade & Shaq to make final Diesel Push. Celtics have Allen/Pierce/Garnett, Pistons have Billups/Prince/Wallace, Heat have Wade/Artest/O'Neal. They lose Davis who isn't the most desireable & Mourning who's career is likely over and Kings tell him he doesn't even need to report & can stay is South Beach. Haslem is swapped for Gooden who's contributions are almost a wash.

Bottom Line: Riley and the Heat figure they have to do anything they can to make playoff run before Shaq retires. They take on some salary to make it happen but if things don't work out they'll be OK once Shaq comes off their cap.

Eric Snow/Chris Quinn/Damon Jones
Dwayne Wade/Daequan Cook/Smush Parker
Ron Artest/Dorell Wright/Luke Jackson
Drew Gooden/Mark Blount/Alexander Johnson/Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Shaquille O'Neal/Earl Barron/Joel Anthony

Kings

Trade: Mike Bibby, Ron Artest, Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur-Rahim & 2008 2nd
Receive: Jason Williams, Ricky Davis, Udonis Haslem, Alonzo Mourning, Ira Newble & 2008 1st

Why? The Kings trade the biggest talent in this blockbuster in Bibby & Artest but do so to dump salary & continue to rebuild. Williams, Davis, Mourning & Newble expire and the fairly young Haslem can contribute on a reasonable contract. The Kings would also end up with 2 2008 1st's (their own & the Cavs).

Bottom Line: They sacrafice talent for salary cap because they've made it clear that's what they want to do and their playoff chances are all but done in the Western Conference even with healthy Bibby/Martin/Artest because the current hole they're in.

Beno Udrih/Jason Williams/Quincy Douby
Kevin Martin/Ricky Davis/Dahntay Jones
John Salmons/Francisco Garcia/Ira Newble
Udonis Haslem/Mikki Moore/Justin Williams
Brad Miller/Spencer Hawes/Alonzo Mourning
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,035

Post#2 » by DBurks2818 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:48 am

Take out Gooden and Haslem (or send Gooden to SAC), swap Mourning with Parker, throw in Heat's 2009 second rounders.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#3 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:59 am

I think if Petrie is going to sacrifice that much talent, it won't be just for one 1st and a salary dump.

Bibby & Artest are the Kings two best trade chips and they don't get a single player that would be part of their long term plans (Dorell Wright doesn't qualify).

Haslem is a decent piece but he's not at a level that warrents the rest of the deal.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie

Post#4 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:00 am

DBurks2818 wrote:Take out Gooden and Haslem (or send Gooden to SAC), swap Mourning with Parker, throw in Heat's 2009 second rounders.

I could understand Gooden/Haslem if you are enamored with Haslem even with Gooden having 1 year less on his contract, but as I stated Mourning is likely done and even if he isn't the Kings tell him to stay in Miami. If he recovers he can resign with them again. Kings have no interest in Parker or the 2nd rounders unless Parker puts in writing that he won't come back for that 2nd year Player Option. He definitely won't come back to Heat with his current standing on the team. So either way (Mourning or Parker) Heat will have expiring contract.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Flash is the Future » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:01 am

^^^You said it. Haslem means more to us than Gooden, and Sactown is supposedly not interested in UD but interested in Gooden so just let him go to Sactown. And then I'd do this trade.

But this season is a loss so I'd really like to tank it out, get Rose, and re-sign Artest.

Derrick Rose/Chris Quinn
Dwyane Wade/Daequan Cook
Ron Artest/Dorell Wright
Udonis Haslem/Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Shaquille O'Neal/Mark Blount

:clap:

BTW, interesting idea having the Heat get Artest for facilitating Bibby to Cleveland, PetrieUnderstudy. I'll play with that.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Flash is the Future » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:03 am

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I could understand Gooden/Haslem if you are enamored with Haslem even with Gooden having 1 year less on his contract, but as I stated Mourning is likely done and even if he isn't the Kings tell him to stay in Miami. If he recovers he can resign with them again. Kings have no interest in Parker or the 2nd rounders unless Parker puts in writing that he won't come back for that 2nd year Player Option. He definitely won't come back to Heat with his current standing on the team. So either way (Mourning or Parker) Heat will have expiring contract.

Smush has indicated that he wants all his money. So yes, he'll probably be back if we can't dump him on GS.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#7 » by KF10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:03 am

These trades look the same over 6 months. And you will get the same response from the Kings: Kings decline...
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie

Post#8 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:10 am

Bac2Basics wrote:I think if Petrie is going to sacrifice that much talent, it won't be just for one 1st and a salary dump.

Bibby & Artest are the Kings two best trade chips and they don't get a single player that would be part of their long term plans (Dorell Wright doesn't qualify).

Haslem is a decent piece but he's not at a level that warrents the rest of the deal.

In my opinion being able to dump both Thomas & Abdur-Rahim is worth it. It frees up money for Kings to resign Udrih, Garcia & Williams then sign a free agent(s) in 2008 and/or 2009. The Kings under Theus battle with the "youngins" who improve with playing time then become a Western Conference elite with free agency pick ups and draft.
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#9 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:14 am

In my opinion being able to dump both Thomas & Abdur-Rahim is worth it. It frees up money for Kings to resign Udrih, Garcia & Williams then sign a free agent(s) in 2008 and/or 2009. The Kings under Theus battle with the "youngins" who improve with playing time then become a Western Conference elite with free agency pick ups and draft.

I figured that would be your position, and while I see that side of it, I still think it comes up short.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie

Post#10 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:25 am

Flash is the Future,

You like...

Derrick Rose/Chris Quinn
Dwyane Wade/Daequan Cook
Ron Artest/Dorell Wright
Udonis Haslem/Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Shaquille O'Neal/Mark Blount

I like...

Baron Davis(28)/Beno Udrih(25)/Quincy Douby(23)
Kevin Martin(24)/Dahntay Jones(27)
John Salmons(28)/Francisco Garcia(26)
Michael Beasley(18)/Drew Gooden(26)/Justin Williams(23)
Brad Miller(31)/Mikki Moore(32)/Spencer Hawes(19)

Current Ages (XX)
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#11 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:52 am

If the other teams in the deal are likely to be eager to sign, you're probably giving at least a little too much compared to what you get back, and I think that would be the case with this deal.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#12 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:52 am

I don't see the Cavs doing this trade. They are giving up too much when you include a first and taking on a bad contract.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#13 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:57 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:I don't see the Cavs doing this trade. They are giving up too much when you include a first and taking on a bad contract.

The only thing other than that pick there can even be an argument that Cleveland gives up that has positive value is Gooden.

Eric Snow = Negative Value
Damon Jones = Negative Value
Ira Newble = Neutral Value (worthless on court, but an expiring contract)

The idea that Cleveland is going to get Bibby for a crap nothing package needs to end because it's not going to happen no matter how much LBJ4MVP23 wants to make us think it will.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#14 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:02 am

DBurks2818 wrote:Take out Gooden and Haslem (or send Gooden to SAC), swap Mourning with Parker, throw in Heat's 2009 second rounders.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#15 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:51 am

[quote="Bac2Basics"][/quote]

It's stupid to say that Newble has neutral value when he's a decent sized expiring. Fact is that while you say that Snow and Jones have negative value their values are not nearly as negative as that of Thomas. So it kinda comes down to Gooden and a first for your overpaid non defense playing pg who's been injured half of each of the last 2 seasons. Nah, I still think that the Cavs would be giving up too much.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Rasheed36
Senior
And1: 2

Post#16 » by Rasheed36 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:10 am

Horrible for Kings. Kings aren't trading there good players for expirings and/or late first round picks.
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#17 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:27 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
It's stupid to say that Newble has neutral value when he's a decent sized expiring. Fact is that while you say that Snow and Jones have negative value their values are not nearly as negative as that of Thomas. So it kinda comes down to Gooden and a first for your overpaid non defense playing pg who's been injured half of each of the last 2 seasons. Nah, I still think that the Cavs would be giving up too much.

Ok, maybe Newble's value would more accurately stated as slightly positive, however calling his contract "decent sized" is a little inflated.

Snow & Jones has more total negative value than Thomas by himself and they take up another roster spot that is dead weight, making it that much worse.

And being as Gooden doesn't play defense or block shots, I'd say he and a 20+ pick doesn't cut it as fair value for Bibby.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:42 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:I don't see the Cavs doing this trade. They are giving up too much when you include a first and taking on a bad contract.

Recent paper out of Cleveland suggest they are offering just that and are ready to pull the trigger as soon as Sac says yes.

Return to Trades and Transactions