A new Bibby trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

A new Bibby trade 

Post#1 » by LPKingsFan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:33 am

Like most rational Kings fans, I'd prefer to wait and see how Bibby does in the month or so he'll play before the trade deadline before talking trades. But since I'm bored right now, what the heck. I haven't seen anything like this deal around here before, but if it has been posted before, my apologies.

Trade ID #4392462

To SAC: Nene, Chucky Atkins

To DEN: Mike Bibby

Not sure which team says no first, or who should add sweetner. But, at its core, not the usual Bibby to Cleveland or Miami deal I've been getting sick of.

Denver does this to add a clutch shooter to keep teams from concentrating too much on Iverson or Melo, and could put them on tier with the top contenders in the West. The offense could still run through those two, but now they have a nice, and clutch, shooter at the point. Bibby's not the best defender, but he was looking good in preseason, and will benefit substantially having Camby patrolling the paint behind him. At the very least, Denver gets a prime 3rd option for a bench player.

Bibby
Iverson
Anthony
Martin
Camby

Sac has been coveting Nene for some time, as first rumored in a Mobley deal. Their prime holes looking for the future are PF and PG, and getting Nene for Bibby allows them to focus on a PG in this year's draft (where there are several nice ones). Nene's not great on the boards, and neither is Hawes, so the Kings still need to go after a good rebounder (David Lee ;)) or finally play Justin Williams

The Kings fan in me thinks Denver should send a pick, but I figured I might as well just post the basic trade and see what people think. And I'm not sure Denver has any more picks to trade after the Iverson deal. Maybe an SAR or KT dump? Or at the least Moore? Is that asking too much?
thethrill23
Ballboy

Post#2 » by thethrill23 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:46 am

why would sac want Nene's huge 8.8 million dollar contract for the next five years when Sac wants to rebuild. no thanks. Bibby's going to Cleveland.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#3 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:48 am

Bibby in Denver with AI and Melo would be interesting. Bibby's wet dream of open shots but are there enough basketballs to go around?

I don't know if the Kings should commit to Nene though, it doesn't really fit in the direction the Kings should be heading.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#4 » by LPKingsFan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:52 am

I understand the financial concerns about Nene's deal, but, come on now, the guy's only five months older than Kevin Martin. He's a young big whose potential is still to be seen. He could prove to pay off on a rebuilding team where there is less pressure but more opportunities.

And I don't think Bibby will be hurting for shots in Denver. AI and Melo dominate the ball, but remember Bibby still found plenty of shots as the 4th option behind Webber, Divac and Stojakovic. Those were arguably his best years, too, when he had plenty of open looks.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#5 » by VintaGe36 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:55 am

I'm surprised no one has pointed out how badly a Bibby/Iverson backcourt would do on Defense.

IMO the last thing DEN can afford to do is trade a big for an undersized guard.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:10 am

VintaGe36 wrote:I'm surprised no one has pointed out how badly a Bibby/Iverson backcourt would do on Defense.

IMO the last thing DEN can afford to do is trade a big for an undersized guard.

Like adding a hangnail to the already existing Cancer of perimeter D is going to kill the Nuggz? :wink:

If they actually tried to play D I don't think they would be all that bad.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,350

Post#7 » by DaFan334 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:47 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Like adding a hangnail to the already existing Cancer of perimeter D is going to kill the Nuggz? :wink:

If they actually tried to play D I don't think they would be all that bad.

Nuggets are third in defensive efficiency and lead the league in both steals and blocks. There defense actually hasn't been there big problem. Its more been on the offensive end where they are 14th in offensive efficiency. Still weak on the perimeter, but they are playing well with Anthony Carter playing point and AI at the 2 the majority of the time.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#8 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:52 am

Nene is a much, much higher value player than Bibby. Its not even close, even with the injury and fitness concerns.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#9 » by LPKingsFan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:04 pm

DaFan334 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nuggets are third in defensive efficiency and lead the league in both steals and blocks. There defense actually hasn't been there big problem. Its more been on the offensive end where they are 14th in offensive efficiency. Still weak on the perimeter, but they are playing well with Anthony Carter playing point and AI at the 2 the majority of the time.

Nice point. If the Nugz have been doing pretty well with Carter and AI, then why not see if Bibby and AI can take them even farther? Nene hasn't even been a huge factor so far this year.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,638

Post#10 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:06 pm

thethrill23 wrote:why would sac want Nene's huge 8.8 million dollar contract for the next five years when Sac wants to rebuild. no thanks. Bibby's going to Cleveland.

exactly
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#11 » by Bac2Basics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:24 pm

Props for trying to come up with something original, but hell no.

Nene is one of if not the most overrated overhyped worthless pieces of ....... in the league.

Sacramento shouldn't even dream of thinking about maybe considering him.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:27 am

No thanks on Nene, unless the Nuggz swapped Najera's expiring deal for Kenny Thomas to compensate for some of the dead salary we'd be taking on.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#13 » by LPKingsFan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:58 am

Smills91 wrote:No thanks on Nene, unless the Nuggz swapped Najera's expiring deal for Kenny Thomas to compensate for some of the dead salary we'd be taking on.

I was thinking about something along those lines, too. I'd do a SAR for Najera swap, too, but Denver would want to do the deal in order to compete now, and having a guy out for the season wouldn't do anything to help in that regard.

I guess since Najera's expiring, the Kings could agree to waive him so he could return to Denver if the Nuggets sent some cash for the buyout, but aren't there new restrictions on that now?

Return to Trades and Transactions