UTA/IND/ORL/MIN/HOU 5-team role-player trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

UTA/IND/ORL/MIN/HOU 5-team role-player trade 

Post#1 » by HotSpurs21 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:17 pm

Utah
out: Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, Ronnie Price, future 2nd
in: Mike James, Adonal Foyle, cash from IND

They upgrade their backup PG and backup C at the same time, and get some cash from Indy to cover some of the extra salaries they take on.

Rotation:
Okur/Foyle/Fes
Boozer/Millsap
AK/Korver/Harpring
Brewer/Miles
DWill/James

Indiana
out: Troy Murphy, Stephen Graham, Travis Diener, cash, future 2nd
in: Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, Greg Buckner, JJ Redick

They get out of Murphy's contract, while getting a good defensive PG in Hart, and a defensive wing in Buckner to boost their perimeter defense. Redick is a young SG who may flourish under O'Brien's offense.

Rotation:
Foster/Harrison/Collins
JO/Diogu/Williams
Granger/Buckner
Dunleavy/Daniels/Redick
(Tinsley)/Hart/Owens

Orlando
out: Tony Battie, Carlos Arroyo, Brian Cook, JJ Redick, Adonal Foyle, 2008 1st
in: Troy Murphy, Marko Jaric, Ryan Gomes, Travis Diener, Steve Novak, IND future 2nd, UTA future 2nd

They go for more help for Dwight Howard. Murphy's rebounding will ease Howard's burden a bit, and his 3-pt range will make him an instant fit on the team. Jaric's unselfishness and passing skills will make him a great complement for Nelson, and his versatility will allow him to get many minutes as well. Gomes' will be a great boost for their bench, adding hustle and rebounding as well as some scoring. They also bring back fan favorite Diener. They get 2 future 2nd rounders to offset the loss of their late 1st. They will be an extremely deep team that can make a deep run into the playoffs.

Rotation:
Howard/Murphy/Augustine
Murphy/Gomes/Lewis/Novak
Lewis/Turkoglu/Evans
Jaric/Bogans/Dooling
Nelson/Jaric/Diener

Minnesota
out: Marko Jaric, Greg Buckner, Ryan Gomes
in: Tony Battie, Stephen Graham, Ronnie Price, 2008 ORL 1st

They dump Jaric for Battie, who can be useful alongside Al next season. Graham and Price are just fillers. They get a late 1st from Orlando as well.

Rotation:
(Battie)/Al/Theo/Richard/Doleac
Al/Smith/Walker
Brewer/Green
McCants/Graham
(Foye)/Telfair/Price

Houston
out: Mike James, Steve Novak
in: Brian Cook, Carlos Arroyo

This gives them a pure PG in Arroyo to backup Alston. They also swap James for a slightly smaller deal of Cook's to save $$ from next season on. Cook can be a good fit alongside Yao with his shooting abilities at PF.

Rotation:
Yao/Scola/Mutombo
Hayes/Cook
Battier/Wells
T-Mac/Head
Alston/Arroyo
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#2 » by loserX » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:24 pm

Not bad, IMHO. I'm not a terribly big fan of Mike James, but he's big and can defend a little and can play the 2, giving Sloan the 2-distributor backcourt that he likes. And although I may be in the distinct minority, I've always liked Foyle.

I don't know that Orlando will take on Murphy AND Jaric in the same deal, though, even if they get to move Battie out. That's a LOT of money.
joey-A
Banned User

Post#3 » by joey-A » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:24 pm

You really need to get a life. Everyone from Orlando in that deal is a STIFF. Murphy at least can remain upright. As where Battie is a walking hospital bed. Plus he has another huge year left on his deal. The other players Orlando gets are viable players, who can be prductive. The other teams get screwed here. No way. Like I said, get a life :-)
Play_Smart!
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by Play_Smart! » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:40 pm

Not bad from Houston's POV.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#5 » by CAE15 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:41 pm

i dont like it for utah but i dont mind it either. I would do it though if it came up.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#6 » by HotSpurs21 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:55 pm

loserX wrote:Not bad, IMHO. I'm not a terribly big fan of Mike James, but he's big and can defend a little and can play the 2, giving Sloan the 2-distributor backcourt that he likes. And although I may be in the distinct minority, I've always liked Foyle.

I don't know that Orlando will take on Murphy AND Jaric in the same deal, though, even if they get to move Battie out. That's a LOT of money.

With no cap room in a forseeable future, Orlando probably won't mind taking on some contracts for useful players who can help. They get to move dump Cook here besides Battie. Essentially, this is the same value as taking on Jaric's contract and extending Battie and Cook for another year. So financially it's not that horrible for them. They get Gomes on top of this too.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#7 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:56 pm

Decent trade for MIN. They'd prefer to take back one less player, because with a full roster, it would require Glen Taylor to buy out a fifth player this season before the trade could be made.

IMO, Jaric => Battie right now. Battie gets paid for three years, but produced for two, so his average salary is $8.6 mil/year. Jaric's is $6.9 mil/year. Jaric's more productive, but his deal runs a year longer. If Battie didn't possibly fit MIN's future needs, I'd definitely pass on him. However, I think since MIN doesn't care about production this year, there is no other team that would really consider Battie.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#8 » by HotSpurs21 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:59 pm

^ If MIN prefers, Steve Novak can be pushed to ORL instead, and it should still work salary-wise
shrink
RealGM

Post#9 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:00 pm

joey-A wrote:You really need to get a life. Everyone from Orlando in that deal is a STIFF. Murphy at least can remain upright. As where Battie is a walking hospital bed. Plus he has another huge year left on his deal. The other players Orlando gets are viable players, who can be prductive. The other teams get screwed here. No way. Like I said, get a life :-)

First, your don't need to be so insulting to express your opinion.

Second, I disagree with your assessment. Yes, the Orlando players aren't productive, but that's the point. ORL is trading expiring players for guys with big deals, and showing that they are willing to pay salary to have a more solid team to go deeper into the play-offs.
joey-A
Banned User

Post#10 » by joey-A » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:20 pm

I wasn't being Insulting by saying get a life. It was more due to the point that you have the time to even think out a 5-team deal :-)
It was not meant as an insult per se. However as much as Orlando takes in, they still are some what productive players. And not all the players leaving are last year deals. Battie is not. Foyle, Cook, ect. Yes they give a 1st rounder two years from now, but that's still an Iffy deal.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#11 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:33 pm

Play_Smart! wrote:Not bad from Houston's POV.

:nod:
yaomac11-1
Junior

Post#12 » by yaomac11-1 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:35 pm

looks good for Houston from a $$ standpoint
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#13 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:52 pm

I'm surprised you actually pulled off a pretty decent 5 team deal.

Pacers accept.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#14 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:35 pm

Works for the Wolves, but as you mentioned, its better if you send Novak to ORL.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#15 » by HotSpurs21 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:01 pm

^ done
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#16 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:19 pm

Minny likes, saves us some $$
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#17 » by Basti » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:47 pm

nice deal for minny! where can I sign?
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#18 » by CableKC » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:51 pm

From an Indy POV...yes, I would do it.

But honestly....I can't see how the Magic do this.....they will have ZERO cap flexibility for the next 3 to 4 seasons.

Unless the Magic have no problem with paying $$$ to get decent to solid players......Murphy and Jaric ( along with Lewis and Dwight ) will prevent them from making any changes in the near future to the roster.

Maybe they can take on Murphy or Jaric....but no team in their right mind would voluntarily take both.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:00 pm

CableKC wrote: Maybe they can take on Murphy or Jaric....but no team in their right mind would voluntarily take both.

But they already have Battie on the books for three years -- is switching him to Jaric's 4 really such a big change. In other words, having Murphy + Battie is almost the same. Is that so bad?
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#20 » by Baller 24 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:31 pm

Houston says YES!
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark

Return to Trades and Transactions