Craig Smith Needs a Home

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#61 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:12 pm

What about Smith for Channing Frye. Portland needs more toughness from the PF position and he would give them that.

Frye wouldn't clog up the lane on offense for Minnesota and Jefferson, but he would on defense.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#62 » by Smills91 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Artest93 wrote:Kings could use him
+1
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#63 » by Smills91 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:13 pm

klomp44 wrote:What about Smith for Channing Frye. Portland needs more toughness from the PF position and he would give them that.

Frye wouldn't clog up the lane on offense for Minnesota and Jefferson, but he would on defense.

That's actually a good idea IMO. Nice idea.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#64 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:43 pm

shrink wrote:I'm going to toss one up too, that is in the same ballpark as the other offers in this thread.

CLE gets Craig Smith and Jaric

MIN gets top-20 protected 1st and Eric Snow

Why for CLE:

1. This gets the Cavs +18.6 ppg, +6.8 rpg, and +2.8 apg.
2. This moves an unproductive Snow for the 2-year window
3. Craig Smith provides low post scoring which could use.
4. Jaric would match well with Gibson, Hughes, and LeBron. He can do everything Snow can do, and better.
5. Financially, the extra Jaric years are outside CLE's lux tax. His deal's expiration matches the time LeBron needs a new contract. This provides production, on a "buy-now, pay-later" program.
6. Most other deals demand Gooden, who I think is vital to the Cavs
7. The pick has value, but maybe less to them then to others. Its additional guaranteed salary that year that is doubled, and the pick obviously doesn't help this season (07-08, and probably not the next (08-09 ), for a win-now CLE.

WHY FOR MIN:

1. The typical pick
2. Snow's deal expires alongside Walker, Buckner, and Hudson and Juwon's buy-outs
3. Snow can't provide much on the court, but I expect his leadership would help this young team, particularly MIN's young PG's. CLE has its leader in LeBron.

this deal could be a winner
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#65 » by loserX » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:50 pm

shrink wrote:5. Financially, the extra Jaric years are outside CLE's lux tax. His deal's expiration matches the time LeBron needs a new contract. This provides production, on a "buy-now, pay-later" program.

Yeah, but Smith's extension wouldn't be. They either have to let him walk (thus trading a pick for half a season of a backup PF) or pay him more than they would have paid their pick (so they lose money anyway). Either way, tough to swallow for Cleveland.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,417

Post#66 » by shrink » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Even if Craig Smith is a one season run, is there any other more productive player available CLE could add (and another team would trade) who's pricetag is $0.687 mil?

The luxed CLE team gets +18.6 ppg, +6.8 rpg, and +2.8 apg. for ZERO dollars in 2007-08.

And in 08-09, even if they don't bring back Smith in 08-09, they exchange the unproductive Snow for the productive Jaric, AND save $1.5 mil. The converse is having low production from Snow and the pick, and paying $1.5 + 2x ($1.7 the pick's salary) = $5 mil.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#67 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:56 pm

smith could make gooden expendable and if they can trade gooden MAYBE they can try and package him with hughes
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#68 » by deeney0 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:46 am

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, but Smith's extension wouldn't be. They either have to let him walk (thus trading a pick for half a season of a backup PF) or pay him more than they would have paid their pick (so they lose money anyway). Either way, tough to swallow for Cleveland.

Thought about this one for a little bit... How does this look as a framework?

Minnesota Outgoing:
Theo Ratliff
Marko Jaric
Craig Smith
Gerald Green

Minnesota Incoming:
Eric Snow
Donyell Marshall
Expirings from 3rd team
1st Rounder from 3rd team

Cleveland Outgoing:
Drew Gooden
Eric Snow
Donyell Marshall

Cleveland Incoming:
Theo Ratliff
Marko Jaric
Craig Smith
Gerald Green

3rd Team Outgoing:
Expirings
1st Round Pick

3rd Team Incoming:
Drew Gooden

I think that keeps both the Wolves and the Cavs enough under the lux next year to extend Gomes and Smith respectively. Orlando as a possible 3rd team?
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#69 » by loserX » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:20 am

shrink wrote:The luxed CLE team gets +18.6 ppg, +6.8 rpg, and +2.8 apg. for ZERO dollars in 2007-08.

That may be what they're producing for Minnesota...doesn't mean that's what Cleveland gets. Will Smith get enough minutes behind Gooden and Varejao to be worth the pick? That would be my concern if I were Cleveland.

I can see them trading Snow for Jaric. Take on money for production, and so on. But I don't know that I could see them adding a pick for 1/2 a season of a backup PF, that's all. If Smith were under contract, probably.

Return to Trades and Transactions