Arroyo + Filler for Ford???

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#21 » by Mak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:35 pm

What can Aroyo do better than Ford? The answer is NOTHING. And he is 4 years older, this is probably one of the craziest things i have ever seen on realgm. Someone trying to argue that Aroyo is just as good or better than Ford.

This trade would make Orlando top 4 team in the East for as long as TJ stays with them. Trading top 10-15 PG for a PG that probably not even in the top 40 is just ridiculous.
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,598

Post#22 » by AbC? » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Your under the assumption that we want to get rid of TJ. We don't. Your not a Raps fan and obviously know nothing about the Raps.

The trade is terrible. If we were ever to trade TJ or Calderon it would be for a lot more than that. Not some crappy streaky player.

We're not trading players because they're injured. We can wait. We're not struggling. Some losses this season are not worth trading TJ for garbage.
dinosaur_dan
Pro Prospect
And1: 30

Post#23 » by dinosaur_dan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:08 pm

If that guy can convince ANYONE who knows basketball that Arroyo is better than Ford, he should be able to get a job as an NBA GM within a year
hksazn
Sixth Man
And1: 36

Post#24 » by hksazn » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Our identity in the last year has been a two headed monster leading at the point. BC is has always been a PG type guy, I doubt he would want to break that up tandem up.

Even if one of them was moved i believe BC will wait for a better offer than Arroyo and a filler imo.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#25 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Orlando better star talking about sending over a first round pick or something like that other then the obvious Howard and Lewis there are is nothing else I would want on your team.

Carlos is a good backup PG but nowhere near to having Ford's value. To say that a Calderon/Arroyo tandum is better then Ford/Calderon is seriously being close to being sig worthy. We would never ever make that trade and I wouldn't move Ford for Turkeyglue 1 for 1 either since a PG is the most important player to find next to maybe a true center.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#26 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Rather then getting my shorts in a bunch, its clear that some folks don't have a firm understanding of the Raptors as a team.

One of the key reasons in the Rap's success last season was the fact that they had a starting caliber PG on the floor for the entire game, and that bench depth coupled with having a 1a and 1b Point Guard allowed the Raps to have a ton of success based on the strength of that second unit.

As for the deal itself, why?

Arroyo is older then Ford, and Arroyo best APG season is still nearly 2 APG lower then Fords worst. Even in terms of rebounding and scoring Ford is simply a better player then Arroyo.

Why does Toronto trade a starting caliber PG to Orlando for a downgrade in the position who is an expiring at the end of the season? You are basically giving TJ away to get him off the books.

Unless the filler happens to be Hedo Turkoglu I don't see Toronto making this deal.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#27 » by kmatrixg » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:46 pm

I just pooped my pants

This is jokes
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#28 » by pspot » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:06 pm

maybe getting some use out of this thread

what about

Arroyo, Battie and Garrity

for

Nestrovic, Dixon and Graham?

Tor: needs a back up PG until Ford is back, Battie when back would give them that defensive big they desperately need, Garrity is an expiring and probably cut

Orl: gives them 3 serviceable players now to add needed depth for a serious playoff push/run
nm
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#29 » by JN » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:21 pm

The OP making observations based on one game.

It appears that Charley Rosen is posting on RealGM, under the alias of a puerto Rican female or gay male.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:22 pm

pspot wrote:maybe getting some use out of this thread

what about

Arroyo, Battie and Garrity

for

Nestrovic, Dixon and Graham?

Tor: needs a back up PG until Ford is back, Battie when back would give them that defensive big they desperately need, Garrity is an expiring and probably cut

Orl: gives them 3 serviceable players now to add needed depth for a serious playoff push/run

Battie has a injury to his rotator cuff that his season ending. He's also due a total of $12 million over the next 2 season. Not big money but with a injury like this and his past injuries I am not sure he would be the same again and I don't think it's covered. Garrity is a expiring at the end of the season and would just be that maybe a guy who would be like a Matt Bonnor-lite for us. We don't give up anything great in this deal but it dosn't help us as we need Rasho as our spot starting center this year.

I don't see Orlando having any intrest in Graham or Dixon
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#31 » by Nolan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm

miruss2001 wrote:What would "the filler" be? if its Turkolou and a first, maybe.

Exactly what I was thinking. Turkolou could be that second scoring option Toronto needs and he has good size for a wing player but his defense is not so great.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
zong
Assistant Coach
And1: 101

Post#32 » by zong » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:11 pm

Jazzfan Bayamon wrote:and thus why I think Toronto would have the better end of the deal given that Arroyo is a poor man's Calder
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#33 » by hermes » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 pm

no for the raptors
yikes
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:06 pm

gswhoops wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No it's not too hard to get. I understand what you're trying to say, and it makes sense on some level.

But, what we're all trying to say to you is that NBA trades are based on VALUE, and in this trade Toronto is not getting enough VALUE in return for Ford.

Ford is a top 10-15 (depending on how you make the list) PG in the league, so trading him for Arroyo (who does not have a lot of value) and filler (which by definition has little/no value) costs you a lot in terms of trade value.

I completly understand, and to be honest, this was the reaction I expected. However, I think a lot of people are overrating Ford which I didn't really expect (that much) oh well.

Perhaps the Raps do need to move Ford for expirings, but they should be able to get more than a backup caliber player and filler. A lot of teams need good PGs - thus making Ford a commodity.

The Raptors could probably swing him to Seattle for Kurt Thomas' large expiring (slash useful big man) and one of Phoenix's first round picks - a deal that would be much closer value wise than yours.

The thing is Ford isn't a commodity (IMO) now, because he ISN'T playing, and it isn't clear when he will this year. And as for Kurt Thomas, the problem is Seattle is LOADED at PG, and really don't need Ford. Same goes with the Bulls and some other teams with good bigs to offer. Also, I don't think Ford belongs in the 10-15 range. He is IMO a 15-25 range of PG. He's undersized, for some strange reason thinks he's Kobe, and has a accidented history.

That's the whole reason why I think if Toronto pulled off this deal, they'd get the better end because they get rid of a (starting type) salary that ISN'T producing and at most should be a backup for them for a productive player and a salary dump at the same time, while Orlando takes on more salary and a huge gamble on what could just end up as Jameer 2.0 for them.
Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran

Post#35 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:30 pm

BTW, some of you think I'm saying Arroyo is better than Ford, hell, one even made a thread of it in the Raps board lol.

All I've said is Calder

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:51 am

Jazzfan Bayamon wrote:
Calder
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran

Post#37 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 am

xbl_sucks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

These 2 points are not valid to me, Toronto wouldn't have any cap space at the end of the year we are $11 million over the cap. We would be at $47 million just with Fords deal off the books and the extra money to the other players deals. We would have to worry about resigning 2 PG's Calderon and Arroyo and then resign Delfino and look for a quility backup SG. Toronto wouldn't have the power to do it and Arroyo isn't the anwser he's a good backup but nowhere near worth Ford.

All that is true, but it's also true all of that will ocurr only worse because of Ford's contract. I think the Raps main goal should be to keep Jos

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am

Nobody is saying that Jose is getting huge money only Atlanta and Philly I think can offer more then the MLE. I am sure they will not do that since Atlanta is cheap when it comes to their PG and Philly has Miller.

Ford is not going for Arroyo you can count on that
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
ss1986v2
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#39 » by ss1986v2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:29 am

Jazzfan Bayamon wrote:All that is true, but it's also true all of that will ocurr only worse because of Ford's contract. I think the Raps main goal should be to keep Jos
Stupidity Should be Painful!
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#40 » by positivetension » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:39 am

Jazzfan Bayamon wrote: I don't think Ford belongs in the 10-15 range. He is IMO a 15-25 range of PG.

Ugh, are you serious? Name me 15 better PG's. Actually name me 24 since he's in the top 25 range.

Fords value is obviously at a low now. He had a scary injury but I think it looked a lot worse than it was. Once he comes back, starts playing well again, there will be a team who will offer A LOT more than this. Even with his value so low, he could fetch a lot more than Carlos freaking Arroyo.

Return to Trades and Transactions