Marion to Cavs Rumour (Later claimed untrue)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

PleezeBelieve
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Marion to Cavs Discussed. 

Post#21 » by PleezeBelieve » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Ok, I swear the fickle nature of people who call themsleves real basketball fans is very unnerving.

-Just a year ago, a large segment of NBA fans who have thrown Varejao away for basically nothing. Even Net Fan said Sean Williams was better and had the better upside.

Now not even a full year leter, people act like Marion isn't a good enough deal..lol?

C'mon people, show some visionary capabilities. This is why Cleveland SHOULD make the deal:

*Marion gives them elite versatility and transitional capabilities

*Marion can guard the 2,3,4 positions effortlessly. Whatever 'enery' and rebounding AV gave would be matched by Mario, plus he offers better fastbreak ability

*If Cavs do this deal, you best believe they have the confidence in their two rookie young guys drafted this year. You know that happens sometimes, right? People draft guys with the propects of them replacing guys that are on the team. €xpect the dude from Kansas to replace the intagibles Andy gave the team on the short-term, and Hickson to be the better player out of all them in the long run

*and this is the point I believe people are obviously missing -- contract signability. Its obvious to me Varejao is playing for a new deal. He's in the perfect spot for signing a deal that outweighs his actualu production. He's 26 or 27 years old and comes off the bencn, plus he's 6'11. Haha, that's ripe for a team to come in and overcompensate for him next offseaon. I think Ferry realizes this and thinks to himself, at this point who 'appears' to be easier and cheaper to re-sign. Despite his physical gifts, as witnessed in this thread, Marion's value is at an all-time low. LMAO people talk like he's over the hill. He's 30, playing ona bad team, and hasn't been that successful in the playoffs. Now compare that with the 'perception' of Varejao's value? Who's easier to re-sign next season? Any's next contract will be based on potential where Marion's will be on his actual value as a 30+ year old energy guy

There you go. I charge no money for this elite basketballl breakdown. Please people, I want more than the average basketball anaysis.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#22 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Marion can defend the 2/3/4 effortlessly? Really?

Fact is that Marion is a bucket of suck when he can't get out in transition when it comes to his offense. He is nearly worthless in the half court. It isn't like the Cavs are a fastbreak team. They play at even a slower pace than the Heat.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,246

Post#23 » by BBallFreak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Wow, you guys are looking at this rather narrowly IMO.

For the Cavs, why not rely on this lineup? Not start it, mind you, but recognize it's beastly potential:

Pg: Williams
Sg: James
Sf: Marion
Pf: Wallace
Cc: Illgauskas

That lineup would be long, smart, and a matchup nightmare for anyone else in the league. Say what you want about Marion, but you can let him defend shooting guards and you're going to be in damn good shape. He'll rebound, he'll run the floor, and he'll find a way to get you 12 points a night even in a half court system. For what the Cavs are giving up, they'd be morons not to do it.

For Miami's part, I can't see it happening unless Marcus Banks is included. Otherwise, they're a tax team forced to release a player, while already trying to find room for the impending return of Alonzo Mourning...
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#24 » by Kosar86 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 pm

The 26ppg that al harrington is averaging under dantoni and the massive fall-off that marion has had without dantoni sends up a huge red flag that marions past numbers may be highly the result of the system and not the talent level.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by BBallFreak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Kosar86 wrote:The 26ppg that al harrington is averaging under dantoni and the massive fall-off that marion has had without dantoni sends up a huge red flag that marions past numbers may be highly the result of the system and not the talent level.

Yet, he was averaging those numbers before D'Antoni, and D'Antoni didn't make him a great defender or a rebounder, either...
JohnW
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#26 » by JohnW » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:I think chemistry is a very underrated factor and I can't not believe that the Cavs would be better with Marion and his inflated sense of worth.

I agree--but without the double negative.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#27 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 pm

JohnW wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I think chemistry is a very underrated factor and I can't not believe that the Cavs would be better with Marion and his inflated sense of worth.

I agree--but without the double negative.

F-ing typo... :lol:
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#28 » by Gordon Bombay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:18 pm

danny, you've had such a good 2008...no dont go ****ing it up now with this trade...we dont want marion
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 403

Post#29 » by CzBoobie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:20 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Wow, you guys are looking at this rather narrowly IMO.

For the Cavs, why not rely on this lineup? Not start it, mind you, but recognize it's beastly potential:

Do you realize frontcourt bench would be consist of two rookies and ancient Lorenzen Wright?

Depth is one of the Cavs biggest strenghts. This trade doesn't make them better, simple as that.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by BBallFreak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:23 pm

OK, reading comprehension is a good thing CzBron. I said, "For the Cavs, why not rely on this lineup? Not start it, mind you, but recognize it's beastly potential". At least read what you quote.
cavsfan#1
Sophomore

Post#31 » by cavsfan#1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Marion

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=4871551

This trade allows us to get marion and brad miller.

Andy and wally to Miami

Sasha and Snow to Sac town

Cavs:

Don't lose any depth or scoring with trades if we get miller to replace andy. Get a vet with under rated passing and shooting skills.

Miami: Get expiring contract and a big who can opt out in case andy doesnt work out for them.

Sac town:

Kenny Natt is the interim coach and they are supposedly giving him a fair shot at the coaching spot. He served I believe 3 years as an assistant under brown and would like sasha to come since he is familiar with him and he can add to their SG and SF positions.

Snow- he is injured, thats for sure, but his contract is almost up and they could get the medical waiver. Also he could come and work as an assistant coach with some of their younger guards and maybe if Natt doesnt work out for them he could be up for the head coaching spot, something I know he is interested in.
They also would trade miller cause of his contract and to clear up space for Hawes n Thompson to develop in what seems to be a throw away year
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by CzBoobie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:36 pm

BBallFreak wrote:OK, reading comprehension is a good thing CzBron. I said, "For the Cavs, why not rely on this lineup? Not start it, mind you, but recognize it's beastly potential". At least read what you quote.

I've read that but it doesn't make frontcourt depth problem go away...I really don't see Marion as a frontcourt player.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Joana » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:59 pm

CzBron wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Wow, you guys are looking at this rather narrowly IMO.

Do you realize frontcourt bench would be consist of two rookies and ancient Lorenzen Wright?

Depth is one of the Cavs biggest strenghts. This trade doesn't make them better, simple as that.

Meh... I bet that Joe Smith will be cut and that they'll sign him, or that they'll trade for some backup big man, or sign some serviceable veteran. Depth doesn't matter so much in the play-offs.

A wing combo of LeBron and Marion is extremely strong, defensively and rebounding wise. Their best line-up would be the best in the league by far.
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#34 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Can Marion handle being 3rd fiddle to Lebron and Williams? Maybe even 4th behind Big Z. Marion isn't a good fit for the team. Marion's ego could be detrimental to the team. Also, he doesn't bring anything the team doesn't already have. If you look at the stats Cleveland is putting up as a team, the only thing they need improvement on is 3 point shooting, they're 23rd in the league in 3 point shooting percentage and it is the lowest thing they have among the league.

I think the perfect guy they should go after is Steven Jackson. The guy has grown up a lot since hitting the Bay area and has become a great team leader. If GS wants to make room for Monta and enters full blown rebuilding mode, trading Jackson and spare contracts to Cle for Wally and AV, this would be perfect for Cle. Jackson is a good defender, a very good three point shooter, although he's kinda in a slump right now, he would be a great fit.
cavsfan#1
Sophomore

Post#35 » by cavsfan#1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Pretty sure captain Jack is loved by the fascist regime in golden state and just gave him a contract extension
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,639

Post#36 » by infinite11285 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 pm

This trade makes absolutely no sense for Cleveland. They are thin up front as is already. Why trade your most athletic big (who along with Wally are key parts of their successful bench) for an undersized SF? Unless there is another trade that will get them 2 more bigs in the works, the Cavs will be much worse than they are now. This could be there starting 5:

PG MO
SG Matrix
SF Bron
PF Ben
C Z

Now look at their bench

PG Gibson
SG West/Kinsey
SF Pavs
PF Hickson/Darnell Jackson
C Lorenzen Wright

That bench is downright ugly and small! The Cavs just lost their 4th game because they were without the services of their best big man and Anderson started. Now they want to trade Anderson away?! This doesn't make any sense. Matrix is an expiring this year so they could use him to acquire someone else but if your going to trade Marion at the deadline, what was the point of trading for him in the first place? Just keep Wally and use him as the expiring. No need to mess up chemistry just to make a trade.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by infinite11285 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:12 pm

Joana wrote:Depth doesn't matter so much in the play-offs.

A wing combo of LeBron and Marion is extremely strong, defensively and rebounding wise. Their best line-up would be the best in the league by far.

What?! How?! What lineup could they possibly throw out there that would be better than the Lakers or the Celtics starting 5?
cavsfan#1
Sophomore

Post#38 » by cavsfan#1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 pm

wally is not a key to the success of our bench
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by CzBoobie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19 pm

cavsfan#1 wrote:wally is not a key to the success of our bench

But Andy definitely is...
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by infinite11285 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/12/windhorst_beat_blog_marion_tra.html

Windhorst Beat Blog: Marion trade rumor untrue

Posted by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter December 16, 2008 16:57PM

There's been a lot of interest today in a story from Yahoo! Sports on talks the Cavs are supposedly having with the Miami Heat over an Anderson Varejao & Wally Szczerbiak/Shawn Marion trade.

You never say never in the NBA, perhaps circumstances will change. But as of right now the Cavs and Heat are not in trade talks concerning Marion and Varejao. This is from multiple team sources. That is just so you know I'm not making it up or whatever, but it makes sense if you just think about it.

Right now the Cavs are not sure what they want to do but they don't want to mess with this team's chemistry. They are considering their options, but history tells us that teams don't really get serious about trading for expiring contracts (which is what the Cavs have to use) until near the trading deadline. That is a long way away and options will be discussed for those months.

What the Cavs need is another big man and Marion isn't a big man and Varejao is. So if they made such a deal they'd be in worse shape. Which is why I said before, it doesn't make much sense.

Also, if the Cavs are going to use Wally Szczerbiak's contract they are going to go for a home run. This next trade very well may be the most important in Cavs history. So it has to be just right. I will write about this a lot more in the coming weeks, just know that right now this rumor isn't true.

Return to Trades and Transactions