Raptors/Memphis (Bosh to MEM, Gay to TOR)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Play_Smart!
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Raptors/Memphis (Bosh to MEM, Gay to TOR) 

Post#21 » by Play_Smart! » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:04 am

I wouldn't do it if I were Toronto.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#22 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 am

yes they are based on assumptions, but it doesnt have to be marvin williams is my point. It needs to be a wing that can convince bosh to stay, there is a list i posted and you should look over them. Hedo, Artest, Marion, Marvin. All good wings that could be had for the cap space you have. The reason i throw 13 million out there is because you have to make Atlanta not match it by over paying. Also if Memphis doesnt get the 1st overall pick which they wont how does this not benefit them? They cant get blake griffen so they get another wing player which would be redundant with both Gay+Mayo.

Also heres a look on the salary for 2010 which is why i think bosh wont leave

To illustrate, I modeled a situation in which league revenues increase by 2 percent in 2008-09 but declined by 3 percent in 2009-10. I'm not saying this will happen, but just humor me for a second.

If that were the case, the cap would decrease by about 0.5 percent in 2008-09 ... and then it would decrease by a whopping 5.6 percent in 2009-10. The cap would go all the way down to $55.2 million that year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ions09/nba

Remember all those teams that projected to be able to offer max deals to the likes of LeBron James and Chris Bosh in the summer of 2010? Those projections were based on a cap number in the $60 million range, not the $50 million range; needless to say, some of them might have to rework their plans. And others, like the Knicks, might not find it so easy to squeeze in two max-level contracts under the cap if it's not at the $63-65 million level we heard thrown around this fall.

Players will feel the effects as well. Max- and mid-level contracts will be scaled lower, and in general, free-agent money will be far less plentiful. It also means fewer players are likely to opt out of contracts over the next two summers.

So as we go into 2009, pay attention to all that arcane financial data and contract legalese that goes into setting the cap level. The effect could end up being far greater than anything that takes place on the court.

so you assumed right in 2009 it would drop but by 0.5 percent. Thats not the key here the key is in 2010 when it drops 5.6 % making it almost impossible that bosh leaves about 30 million on the table. It wouldnt so much affect you though, i think now if you offered a contract starting at 8 million the owners in atlanta, cheap to say the least wouldnt match it. when more teams might be hard pressed to make two max contracts. Having a players bird rights means everything and thats what you get in this trade is his bird rights. It will be interesting to say the least and the trade would be redundant if you got griffen but since you wont you still believe the deal is unfair or you wouldnt do it?
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#23 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 am

Sometime before the 2008-09 season, the cap and tax figures will be set based off revenue from this season and projections for next season. An early guess would be that the cap figure might be in the $57 million range, with the tax at about $70 million.

The immediate ramifications are that teams positioning themselves for a run at free agency next summer — including Portland — will have less room with which to work. If the trend continues for more than one year, the problems for each team multiply.

heres another article but it looks like your right it would drop around 1 million but i dont think Atlanta would want a 8 million dollar salary on their books for 2010, when johnson is set to be a free agent. I think they wouldnt match it and simply let Childress fill the hole for half the cost.
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#24 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 pm

playsmart the deal is still a no go for you?

Return to Trades and Transactions