Draft Day Trade: Mem/OKC

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Draft Day Trade: Mem/OKC 

Post#1 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:21 am

Here's the problem for Memphis. Rubio is going to work out with the teams picking 1, 3 and 4 but not Memphis. If I'm Memphis I give up on Rubio and target Thabeet. But picking 2nd represents a problem. If Memphis takes Thabeet 2nd then Rubio goes to OKC 3rd. They get their guy but it seems like a wasted opportunity and would mean Memphis got pushed around into not taking the BPA. If Sacto wants Rubio they need the 2nd pick but if Memphis trades it to them they risk losing Thabeet to OKC which would be a good pick for a team that badly needs defense. So what is Memphis to do?

OKC comes to the rescue and executes a trade that helps both teams.

Memphis trades the #2 and Marc Gasol to OKC.

OKC trades the #3 and Jeff Green to Memphis.

Rubio gets picked where he should and OKC pairs him with a fellow Spaniard to buddy up with as well as filling a position of need. OKC becomes thin at forward but the center depth is much better and between Krstic and Collison they should be able to fill the PF spot. Memphis gets both a defensive center and a scoring forward to complete their front court overhaul. It also moves Hamed Haddadi up the depth chart who is a guy I believe could become a solid player in this league. There you go, it's a win for both teams.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: Draft Day Trade: Mem/OKC 

Post#2 » by Esohny » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:14 am

Why would OKC give up one of their really talented rising stars for a solid if slow center and a rookie point guard when they already have Westbrook? Rubio isn't a good fit. They'd be much better off forcing Memphis to make a decision. If Memphis takes Rubio, great, they take Harden(or Thabeet if they're nuts), if Memphis takes Thabeet, they take Rubio and trade him to SAC for Harden and assets. Memphis really has no leverage here.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#3 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 am

The most obvious reason is that I don't agree with your assessments. I don't think Green is ever going to be much more than he is now which is a #2 scoring option on a lousy team. He would be a #3 scoring option on a playoff team. His defense and rebounding aren't anything special either. I like Jeff Green, he's solid but Marc Gasol is going to end up a better player at his position. Gasol is going to be a top ten center in 2-3 years while Green will never be a top ten NBA forward. Jeff Green is Al Harrington with better athleticism, a better mid-range game but less range.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#4 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 am

Ya. Here's how it's going to go. We get either Rubio or Harden. If I'm Wallace I draft Rubio and trade him or Conley.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
lim206
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by lim206 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 am

Esohny wrote:Why would OKC give up one of their really talented rising stars for a solid if slow center and a rookie point guard when they already have Westbrook? Rubio isn't a good fit. They'd be much better off forcing Memphis to make a decision. If Memphis takes Rubio, great, they take Harden(or Thabeet if they're nuts), if Memphis takes Thabeet, they take Rubio and trade him to SAC for Harden and assets. Memphis really has no leverage here.

i agree with Esohny, jeff green is better than marc gasol, i dont want rubio, because we have westbrook, we need to upgrade the center and shooting position i want something like this

westbrook westbrook
harden durant
durant green
green collison
collison thabeet

sign some role players that can come off the bench, and i like our chancess if not wait till 2010 and sign a star!!! hahahahah i cant wait
Aaron Brooks use to tie my shoe, back in middle school! hahaha good luck buddy!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#6 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 am

lim206 wrote:
Esohny wrote:Why would OKC give up one of their really talented rising stars for a solid if slow center and a rookie point guard when they already have Westbrook? Rubio isn't a good fit. They'd be much better off forcing Memphis to make a decision. If Memphis takes Rubio, great, they take Harden(or Thabeet if they're nuts), if Memphis takes Thabeet, they take Rubio and trade him to SAC for Harden and assets. Memphis really has no leverage here.

i agree with Esohny, jeff green is better than marc gasol, i dont want rubio, because we have westbrook, we need to upgrade the center and shooting position i want something like this

westbrook westbrook
harden durant
durant green
green collison
collison thabeet

sign some role players that can come off the bench, and i like our chancess if not wait till 2010 and sign a star!!! hahahahah i cant wait

In this rotation you have both Harden and Thabeet? How did you get both those guys?
The hottest of takes...
lim206
Junior

Post#7 » by lim206 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:31 am

i ment to space it out, srry hahah
Aaron Brooks use to tie my shoe, back in middle school! hahaha good luck buddy!
london sonic
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by london sonic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:09 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:The most obvious reason is that I don't agree with your assessments. I don't think Green is ever going to be much more than he is now which is a #2 scoring option on a lousy team. He would be a #3 scoring option on a playoff team. His defense and rebounding aren't anything special either. I like Jeff Green, he's solid but Marc Gasol is going to end up a better player at his position. Gasol is going to be a top ten center in 2-3 years while Green will never be a top ten NBA forward. Jeff Green is Al Harrington with better athleticism, a better mid-range game but less range.

IF Gasol is gonna be a top center in 2-3 yrs your words why trade for Thabeet your asessments dont make sense hence why people dont agree with you.Green has far more value than you give for him.Plus OKC dont really need Rubio they would prefer Thabeet,Harden or Derozan they are better fits.OKC will draft Rubio if avaliable but I believe just to deal for a lower pick and a young prospect/fut 1st.Which is what Memphis should do and gamble if Thabeet is avaliable but if you guys are so high on Thabeet just draft him at 2.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#9 » by killbuckner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

as a fan of neither team I would easily rather have Gasol than Green.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#10 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:Here's the problem for Memphis. Rubio is going to work out with the teams picking 1, 3 and 4 but not Memphis.

No, he's meeting with those teams, but not working out. He's already met with the Memphis front office.

Secondly, the Grizz aren't likely to part with Gasol for Jeff Green. Green's a nice player, but not worth moving down for at the cost of Gasol 2.0.

Return to Trades and Transactions