Toronto - Boston - New York (Bringing Pierce to Toronto)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Toronto - Boston - New York (Bringing Pierce to Toronto) 

Post#1 » by Relentless88 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:04 am

Now this is obviously crazy, but lets say Boston barely makes it to the second round where they are easily beaten by the Cavs, or just a second round exit in general. They realize their "Big Three" are starting to wear down. Ray Allen expires, and they decide to rebuild. Those are pretty much Boston's thoughts when doing this deal.

Raptors want Bosh to stay, and they convince him by bringing in Pierce one of the best wings to play the game in recent years.

Toronto Trades: Jose Calderon, DeMar DeRozan, Reggie Evans, Markus Banks, Marco Belinelli, 2011 First Rounder lotto protected
Toronto Receives: Paul Pierce

Boston Trades: Paul Pierce
Boston Receives: DeMar DeRozan, Reggie Evans (exp), Markus Banks (exp), Eddy Curry (exp), 2011 First Rounder lotto protected, 2010 2nd Rounder

New York Trades: Eddy Curry, 2010 2nd rounder
New York Receives: Jose Calderon, Marco Belinelli

------------------------

Why for Toronto?

They get Bosh to re-sign by bringing in Pierce to upgrade the 2 spot. Pierce brings championship experience, and good defense on the perimeter. He'd be the go-to man down the stretch. The Raps can't afford to wait on DeRozan's development, and look to win now.

Jarrett Jack
Paul Pierce
Hedo Turkoglu
Chris Bosh
Andrea Bargnani

Why for Boston?

Like I said, this is if they want to give up the "Big 3" thing and start over. They pick up a great young talent in DeRozan, and build around a good young core in Rondo/DeRozan/Perkins, and picks they'll also get. After this they'd probably deal KG elsewhere also to completely rebuild.

Why for New York?

A Knicks fan I think posted the Curry/2nd for Calderon/Beli swap. Since Curry never plays, they pick up their starting point guard for next year to run with a couple of max FAs they're bound to bring in. Galinari gets a friend in Belinelli to compete with.

Kinda bored....thoughts?
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Re: Toronto - Boston - New York (Bringing Pierce to Toronto) 

Post#2 » by old rem » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:32 am

Not sure why the Knicks are in this.

The Raps get a couple of Pierce's twilight years.....at the cost of 3 rotation players and a pick.

I think Tor owes their 2010 to Miami? If so,the 2011 could not be traded. Boston won't LIKE this but at some point must admit their window is closing.
CENSORED... No comment.
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BringBackKorver » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 am

old rem wrote:Not sure why the Knicks are in this.

The Raps get a couple of Pierce's twilight years.....at the cost of 3 rotation players and a pick.

I think Tor owes their 2010 to Miami? If so,the 2011 could not be traded. Boston won't LIKE this but at some point must admit their window is closing.

I thought they could trade it after the draft. Isn't the rule that you can't owe 2 firsts at once? If this deal happened the day after the draft I'd assume it would work.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Post#4 » by vege » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 am

BringBackKorver wrote:I thought they could trade it after the draft. Isn't the rule that you can't owe 2 firsts at once? If this deal happened the day after the draft I'd assume it would work.

You are correct.

The deal is insulting for Boston imo.
Relentless88
RealGM

Post#5 » by Relentless88 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 am

vege wrote:
BringBackKorver wrote:I thought they could trade it after the draft. Isn't the rule that you can't owe 2 firsts at once? If this deal happened the day after the draft I'd assume it would work.

You are correct.

How so? Pierce will be 31, and the final year of his contract. It's not like he's a Bosh/Wade type here.
Relentless88
RealGM

Post#6 » by Relentless88 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:04 am

old rem wrote:Not sure why the Knicks are in this.

Knicks pretty much in it because we need Eddy's contract to make it work. Boston won't take Calderon, and Calderon in NY might make sense.
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#7 » by Scorpion King » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am

Dude PP is Celtic for life and will retire as one will not be traded for scrubs and picks

This deal is bad for Raptors. Pierce is injured and is entering twilight career year.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#8 » by loserX » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:12 am

Scorpion King wrote:Dude PP is Celtic for life and will retire as one will not be traded for scrubs and picks

Critical point here. I doubt the Celtics would trade Pierce unless he asked to go, and even if he did I really doubt he would ask to go to the Raptors.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Post#9 » by vege » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Relentless88 wrote:
vege wrote:

You are correct.

How so? Pierce will be 31, and the final year of his contract. It's not like he's a Bosh/Wade type here.

He is not Bosh/Wade but he is a very good player and worth more than a not that great young backup player and useless expirings. The value is not there for Boston, neither make any sense for them to break their team now, even if they probably won't win any more ships or even probably won't win any more East Conference ships :wink:

Expirings + DD for Allen at the dead line could make sense, for PP next season? Insulting for Boston if you ask me.

And i like Toronto and absolutely hate Boston and especially hate PP, so if i was going to be biased here would be toward Toronto :lol:
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#10 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 pm

I think its terrible for the Raps... getting a Pierce on his last legs is not going to propel us into contention at all.. and giving up all those pieces is not worth it. Toronto needs to go young, rolling the dice on guys nearing the end of their careers is NOT going to help us, and will likely handicap us moving forward (hasn't the Hedo acquisition shown us that?). Furthermore, there isn't much incentive for Boston or New York to do this either.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,200

Post#11 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Mar 1, 2010 4:03 pm

I would love to see Pierce here in Toronto the guy brings it every game and is a flat out winner. Plays hard on both ends of the floor and knows how to make big plays. Something Toronto needs badly, Pierce is a better 3 but I don't think at this point and time he wants to be a 2 and I don't think he wants to play for us anyways if he wants out I could see him wanting to go to a team needing him to push them over the edge. Perhaps Denver? I am just throwing that out there
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry

Return to Trades and Transactions