ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3

Moderators: Wiltside, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, IggieCC

AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 22,455
And1: 11,049
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#141 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:20 pm

twix2500 wrote:Curious if the Heat give Dedmon some burn today? Lakers are an inferior team that has bigs that he can matchup with.

Did I miss something? I've read the Heat are PLANNING to sign Dedmon but I've seen nothing official like they do for everyone else that he's signed. I get he's going through COVID protocols but isn't it odd to be waiting all the way up till the last day for them to do this. If it were all about the COVID protocols wouldn't they have given themselves a little more time just in case he fails along the way?

It feels like Dedmon isn't ready(healthy) and instead of saying that and he's being signed while not able to contribute they'll just point towards COVID protocols while not having to answer the other questions. I not expecting to see Dedmon play for weeks after he signs. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think Miami really cares about the regular season, they want everyone healthy and someone ready to go by the playoffs.
eddieheatfan
General Manager
Posts: 7,748
And1: 15,602
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#142 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:21 pm

twix2500 wrote:Curious if the Heat give Dedmon some burn today? Lakers are an inferior team that has bigs that he can matchup with.



Image
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#143 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:24 pm

I believe Achiuwa needs to be inserted back into the rotation. I do not like the Dragic, Oladipo, Herro, Iggy and Belly lineup. This unit takes ball handling out of Oladipo hands and puts him in the corner way too much. The second unit should be Dragic/Nunn, Herro, Iggy, Achiuwa and Belly
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 14,297
And1: 25,904
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#144 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:38 pm

twix2500 wrote:I think we need to give Herro some Props for his play lately. Since the trade deadline Tyler Herro been averaging 18 pts, 3.6 ast, 40% 3pt%, 48% FG%, 62% TS%


Anyone with eyes and realistic expectation from a 20/21 year old knew Herro will bounce back. He's not going to regress after a stellar rookie year.

And assuming good health, and knowing his work ethic - he's still have a lot of room to improve in the next few years.

I expect 22+PPG on 60+TS% when he's 23. I think he has that in him.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 22,455
And1: 11,049
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#145 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:52 pm

So, I'm going back and looking at how Valanciunas gave Miami so many problems recently, interesting stuff, some lazy defense, some just bad defense and some good offense by Memphis which led to going overboard on the big in the middle and left a lot of players with open corner 3s which happen to be the shortest 3pt shot.

Here's that 3pt shot chart for Memphis, as you can see the corner 3s where highly successful shots for Memphis vs the other 3 shots, not only were the corner 3s available, a lot of them were wide open shots where the player could take an uncontested shot.
Image
Now some of the Valanciunas plays...
- Push off that should have been called which would have taken away the basket.
Spoiler:
Image

- Valanciunas just rolls to the basket and not sure who's to blame, Bam should have been moving back to stop the easy pass and Duncan decides on not following him seeing Bam was out of position. Probably Bam's mistake but Duncan didn't help. The reason I mention Duncan is because Butler is there and both 3pt shooters were close enough for 1 person to contend, this is where knowing where your teammates are for help defense comes into play.
Spoiler:
Image
Image

- Dragic not playing even decent defense on "Slo Mo" allowing him to comfortably throw an alley oop for an easy score. He had his hands down to his sides, not contesting at all.
Spoiler:
Image

- Not even going to put the G.Allen drive past Duncan from the 3pt line which led to Valanciunas to get the missed shot/pass for an easy 2.

Some of his shots were just good offense like Ja behind the back pass with Butler and Bam on him, a great lob pass in between Ariza and Butler defending Valanciunas.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#146 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:57 pm

AirP. wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Curious if the Heat give Dedmon some burn today? Lakers are an inferior team that has bigs that he can matchup with.

Did I miss something? I've read the Heat are PLANNING to sign Dedmon but I've seen nothing official like they do for everyone else that he's signed. I get he's going through COVID protocols but isn't it odd to be waiting all the way up till the last day for them to do this. If it were all about the COVID protocols wouldn't they have given themselves a little more time just in case he fails along the way?

It feels like Dedmon isn't ready(healthy) and instead of saying that and he's being signed while not able to contribute they'll just point towards COVID protocols while not having to answer the other questions. I not expecting to see Dedmon play for weeks after he signs. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think Miami really cares about the regular season, they want everyone healthy and someone ready to go by the playoffs.

I guess you are right, I assumed he was signed. Never looked for the official announcement. Idk what's going on, your guess is as good as mine
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 22,455
And1: 11,049
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#147 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:11 pm

Here's a player Miami should be interested in but looks to be heading to Toronto.
Read on Twitter
eddieheatfan
General Manager
Posts: 7,748
And1: 15,602
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#148 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:25 pm

AirP. wrote:So, I'm going back and looking at how Valanciunas gave Miami so many problems recently, interesting stuff, some lazy defense, some just bad defense and some good offense by Memphis which led to going overboard on the big in the middle and left a lot of players with open corner 3s which happen to be the shortest 3pt shot.

Here's that 3pt shot chart for Memphis, as you can see the corner 3s where highly successful shots for Memphis vs the other 3 shots, not only were the corner 3s available, a lot of them were wide open shots where the player could take an uncontested shot.
Image
Now some of the Valanciunas plays...
- Push off that should have been called which would have taken away the basket.
Spoiler:
Image

- Valanciunas just rolls to the basket and not sure who's to blame, Bam should have been moving back to stop the easy pass and Duncan decides on not following him seeing Bam was out of position. Probably Bam's mistake but Duncan didn't help. The reason I mention Duncan is because Butler is there and both 3pt shooters were close enough for 1 person to contend, this is where knowing where your teammates are for help defense comes into play.
Spoiler:
Image
Image

- Dragic not playing even decent defense on "Slo Mo" allowing him to comfortably throw an alley oop for an easy score. He had his hands down to his sides, not contesting at all.
Spoiler:
Image

- Not even going to put the G.Allen drive past Duncan from the 3pt line which led to Valanciunas to get the missed shot/pass for an easy 2.

Some of his shots were just good offense like Ja behind the back pass with Butler and Bam on him, a great lob pass in between Ariza and Butler defending Valanciunas.


Image


you know you could do a game post analysis after each game, do a thread like that and i will surely read it
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#149 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
User avatar
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,307
And1: 9,560
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
Location: #HEATNation
       

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#150 » by NBADraft2003 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:39 pm

Khem?
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 22,455
And1: 11,049
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#151 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:40 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:
AirP. wrote:So, I'm going back and looking at how Valanciunas gave Miami so many problems recently, interesting stuff, some lazy defense, some just bad defense and some good offense by Memphis which led to going overboard on the big in the middle and left a lot of players with open corner 3s which happen to be the shortest 3pt shot.

Here's that 3pt shot chart for Memphis, as you can see the corner 3s where highly successful shots for Memphis vs the other 3 shots, not only were the corner 3s available, a lot of them were wide open shots where the player could take an uncontested shot.
Image
Now some of the Valanciunas plays...
- Push off that should have been called which would have taken away the basket.
Spoiler:
Image

- Valanciunas just rolls to the basket and not sure who's to blame, Bam should have been moving back to stop the easy pass and Duncan decides on not following him seeing Bam was out of position. Probably Bam's mistake but Duncan didn't help. The reason I mention Duncan is because Butler is there and both 3pt shooters were close enough for 1 person to contend, this is where knowing where your teammates are for help defense comes into play.
Spoiler:
Image
Image

- Dragic not playing even decent defense on "Slo Mo" allowing him to comfortably throw an alley oop for an easy score. He had his hands down to his sides, not contesting at all.
Spoiler:
Image

- Not even going to put the G.Allen drive past Duncan from the 3pt line which led to Valanciunas to get the missed shot/pass for an easy 2.

Some of his shots were just good offense like Ja behind the back pass with Butler and Bam on him, a great lob pass in between Ariza and Butler defending Valanciunas.


you know you could do a game post analysis after each game, do a thread like that and i will surely read it

NBA.com doesn't have all the videos of each boxscore stat or each play until the next day to be able to view. Also, if I did this I think people would be surprised how many times Herro screws up the offense with his decision making would come up. One that stands out to me last game was at the end of the 3rd quarter, Herro had the ball with more then 30 seconds left in the quarter and HE TOOK HIS TIME to try to find a "good" shot vs getting up a quick shot to have a 2 for 1 situation and of course he turns over the ball with 24 seconds left in the quarter removing the high probability of getting another decent shot in the period(if Memphis tried to use up the shot clock).

BTW, here's that play with Herro.
User avatar
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,307
And1: 9,560
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
Location: #HEATNation
       

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#152 » by NBADraft2003 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:52 pm

AirP. wrote:So, I'm going back and looking at how Valanciunas gave Miami so many problems recently, interesting stuff, some lazy defense, some just bad defense and some good offense by Memphis which led to going overboard on the big in the middle and left a lot of players with open corner 3s which happen to be the shortest 3pt shot.

Here's that 3pt shot chart for Memphis, as you can see the corner 3s where highly successful shots for Memphis vs the other 3 shots, not only were the corner 3s available, a lot of them were wide open shots where the player could take an uncontested shot.
Image
Now some of the Valanciunas plays...
- Push off that should have been called which would have taken away the basket.
Spoiler:
Image

- Valanciunas just rolls to the basket and not sure who's to blame, Bam should have been moving back to stop the easy pass and Duncan decides on not following him seeing Bam was out of position. Probably Bam's mistake but Duncan didn't help. The reason I mention Duncan is because Butler is there and both 3pt shooters were close enough for 1 person to contend, this is where knowing where your teammates are for help defense comes into play.
Spoiler:
Image
Image

- Dragic not playing even decent defense on "Slo Mo" allowing him to comfortably throw an alley oop for an easy score. He had his hands down to his sides, not contesting at all.
Spoiler:
Image

- Not even going to put the G.Allen drive past Duncan from the 3pt line which led to Valanciunas to get the missed shot/pass for an easy 2.

Some of his shots were just good offense like Ja behind the back pass with Butler and Bam on him, a great lob pass in between Ariza and Butler defending Valanciunas.

Gave them the easiest 3 point shots you can get and they made us pay for it, great post.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
Posts: 6,303
And1: 2,896
Joined: Oct 20, 2008
     

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#153 » by dolphinatik » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:56 pm

It starts with Bam your biggest player staying at the top of the key and it goes downhill from there. This has been a particular experiment this year that has rubbed me the wrong way which spurns from Spos fear of fouling out his players. I can only assume the only reason for this positioning is to prevent Bam from getting into foul trouble or as training. I cannot imagine this is the defensive positioning we will hang our hat on in the playoffs as it makes no sense. :banghead: Spo tried this with Bosh until Bosh finally spoke up and said its not working and he needs to be back down low.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
User avatar
Hallstar
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,836
And1: 3,992
Joined: Jul 15, 2008
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#154 » by Hallstar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:22 pm

AirP. wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:
AirP. wrote:So, I'm going back and looking at how Valanciunas gave Miami so many problems recently, interesting stuff, some lazy defense, some just bad defense and some good offense by Memphis which led to going overboard on the big in the middle and left a lot of players with open corner 3s which happen to be the shortest 3pt shot.

Here's that 3pt shot chart for Memphis, as you can see the corner 3s where highly successful shots for Memphis vs the other 3 shots, not only were the corner 3s available, a lot of them were wide open shots where the player could take an uncontested shot.
Image
Now some of the Valanciunas plays...
- Push off that should have been called which would have taken away the basket.
Spoiler:
Image

- Valanciunas just rolls to the basket and not sure who's to blame, Bam should have been moving back to stop the easy pass and Duncan decides on not following him seeing Bam was out of position. Probably Bam's mistake but Duncan didn't help. The reason I mention Duncan is because Butler is there and both 3pt shooters were close enough for 1 person to contend, this is where knowing where your teammates are for help defense comes into play.
Spoiler:
Image
Image

- Dragic not playing even decent defense on "Slo Mo" allowing him to comfortably throw an alley oop for an easy score. He had his hands down to his sides, not contesting at all.
Spoiler:
Image

- Not even going to put the G.Allen drive past Duncan from the 3pt line which led to Valanciunas to get the missed shot/pass for an easy 2.

Some of his shots were just good offense like Ja behind the back pass with Butler and Bam on him, a great lob pass in between Ariza and Butler defending Valanciunas.


you know you could do a game post analysis after each game, do a thread like that and i will surely read it

NBA.com doesn't have all the videos of each boxscore stat or each play until the next day to be able to view. Also, if I did this I think people would be surprised how many times Herro screws up the offense with his decision making would come up. One that stands out to me last game was at the end of the 3rd quarter, Herro had the ball with more then 30 seconds left in the quarter and HE TOOK HIS TIME to try to find a "good" shot vs getting up a quick shot to have a 2 for 1 situation and of course he turns over the ball with 24 seconds left in the quarter removing the high probability of getting another decent shot in the period(if Memphis tried to use up the shot clock).

BTW, here's that play with Herro.

There's zero wrong with that play, he beat his man and had clear path to the rim. It's a mix of luck and skill that the player was able to recover without fouling.
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 22,455
And1: 11,049
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

~ 

Post#155 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:38 pm

Hallstar wrote:
AirP. wrote:BTW, here's that play with Herro.

There's zero wrong with that play, he beat his man and had clear path to the rim. It's a mix of luck and skill that the player was able to recover without fouling.

It has NOTHING to do with the recover or even Herro not scoring, it's about time management!!!!!! It's about giving your team probably 2 possessions then more then likely just 1.

Not sure about you, but I'll take 2 quick shots vs Herro probing and taking 1 shot. A possible 4-6 points vs a possible 2-3 points.

What Herro did is exactly what the Grizzlies wanted him to do, give them the opportunity to only guard 1 possession before the end of the quarter, not 2.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#156 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:14 pm

Another concern I have is that Ariza may not be good enough shooter for Dipo, Bam and Butler to be on the floor together

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#157 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:45 pm

Here is a set that Spo ran a lot with when starting unit. Ariza at the bird box and PnR a the top with Dipo. Not sure what they are trying to acheive.
Image

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#158 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:51 pm

Another thing of concern is Ariza is not a screener or a pick and pop player. He is a backdoor slasher and spot up player. Without a 2nd screener besides Bam on the floor, the offense has to be different.

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 31,321
And1: 114,642
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#159 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:56 pm

twix2500 wrote:Another thing of concern is Ariza is not a screener or a pick and pop player. He is a backdoor slasher and spot up player. Without a 2nd screener besides Bam on the floor, the offense has to be different.

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying. Ariza has been a 2/3 for all of his career and the same goes for Iguodala for that matter. I don't think it would be the worst idea for Spo to start with Bjelica next to Bam. Especially now with Dedmon coming aboard as the backup Center.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 18,098
And1: 14,446
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season/Speculation Thread 2021 Part 3 

Post#160 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:06 pm

Here is an example of Ariza doing a hand off screen to free up Duncan. Lol he is practically screening nothing. Missing a screener will affect even Nunn if he started. Image

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk

Return to Miami Heat