ImageImageImage

Memphis @ Miami Saturday 5pm

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Re: Memphis @ Miami Saturday 5pm 

Post#281 » by gom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 pm

wadenation305 wrote:I've been watching spo coach from his very first year, and I must say the man is an absolute robot. He absolutely has zero feel for the game, if it's not in his programming he can't comprehend or perceive it. Thankfully we got the W, but it wasn't to his good coaching credit. It's beyond me how someone can see a player clearly on fire and putting the team on his back, then freaking put em on ice. He has never ever in all his years of coaching have had that. The man knows how to get the best of the players when it comes to defense, but that's it, I don't even buy that he motivates them cause I think that more on them, Winslow, Rich, and Bam for sure want it and are motivated all on their own. I see spo as a assistant coach that can tell them main coach about defense, but he just doesn't have it to be a main coach on this team.

I rewatched the game this morning. A winded Winslow basically asked to be subbed after missing a shot and committing a foul in the 3rd quarter. Wade came in and played well into the 4th quarter when Winslow returned. After his rest, Winslow was very effective but didn't score. He had good chances though.

The quartet of Winslow/Wade/Adebayo/Richardson are a very solid closing unit whether they play with Waiters, TJ, Olynyk, or Jones. It was the missed free throws that put us behind the 8-ball.

It's not fair to blame Spo for "zero feel for the game" when it's clear the player needed to be subbed.

Two other notes:

Green is really good for Memphis. Kudos to them for rescuing him from the G-League and making him an important piece. Their Hassan Whiteside basically.

Also, that 3 by TJ out of the broken play towards the end of the 4th quarter was such an important shot. Momentum was building for Memphis at that point and despite Gasol hitting a 3 right after the play, it was still a game changer.

Wade getting the jumped ball with Mack though is what won the game. He just knows how to win. Our young guys are learning that lesson this season though. I'm excited.

Really a good game. Credit to the coach and players.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Post#282 » by gom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:11 pm

al bondiga wrote:what I meant to say is that, although I like DJJ A LOT, he still has a lot to prove in order to be mentioned with bam, jrich, Winnie
the only thing he has proven is that he can outjump everybody... his frame, skills, shot, defense, etc. etc. are "underdeveloped"
hell what I interpret is that if GOD give's me that jumping ability and 30 yrs... I could be an nba prospect. my suggestion is that you take it easy with him (don't get your hopes up)

Derrick Jones's athleticism is impressive, but what's keeping him in the rotation is how hard he is working on his weaknesses. This is a young man who hit 20% of his 3-pointers and even 59% of his free throws at UNLV. His free throw percentage is still low (62%) but he's hitting a 3-pointer at nearly 38%. His per-36 PF is 4 (lower than for the Suns) despite having lowered his DRTG. Jones & Adebayo have DRTG of 105. Only Whiteside is lower: 99.

By the way, Winslow (remember? that guy who can't shoot and has no offensive game?) is shooting 3's at team best 39.7% after last nights 4 for 4.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,633

Post#283 » by twix2500 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

The biggest improvement i seen in DJJ is his play in a crowd and when he gets touched. Last year and this preseason he would crumble, fold and panic when he drove and someone would contest him. Now he is attacking with confidence. The change seemed to happen after he fell and hit his elbow. It seem like that knocked all the fear out of him. As well as his timing to read the defense.
delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Post#284 » by delanka » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Nice game

Return to Miami Heat