ImageImageImage

Justise Winslow Watch

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Re: Justise Winslow Watch 

Post#361 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm

The issue i fear is FT rate.

Every great player in the NBA goes to the line consistently. Justise for whatever reason does not, which really limits his long term efficency.

Still hoping he has another big jump in him, manily FT %, FT rate and being more aggresive.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#362 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:The issue i fear is FT rate.

Every great player in the NBA goes to the line consistently. Justise for whatever reason does not, which really limits his long term efficency.

Still hoping he has another big jump in him, manily FT %, FT rate and being more aggresive.

Off the top of my head, Klay, McCollum and young Conley. I think non-center players that have a high FTR usually do because they're tough to stop on certain shots. Like Lebron and Harden are very tough to guard and almost impossible to stop without playing tough defense. The same could be said for players like Giannis and Kawhi who are extremely efficient players. Winslow basically needs to become an elite finisher so that players are forced to play fouling defense on him.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#363 » by twix2500 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:The issue i fear is FT rate.

Off the top of my head, Klay, McCollum and young Conley. I think non-center players that have a high FTR usually do because they're tough to stop on certain shots. Like Lebron and Harden are very tough to guard and almost impossible to stop without playing tough defense. The same could be said for players like Giannis and Kawhi who are extremely efficient players. Winslow basically needs to become an elite finisher so that players are forced to play fouling defense on him.
Winslow been finishing well for a while now. Where his game is missing is in transition. Only 1.5 pts a game also he needs to move off the ball better and get more off the ball points. When he is having big scoring games those two things he does well at.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,716

Post#364 » by DayofMourning » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:16 pm

I was comparing Justise's stats on bkref to see how he's really progressed since his rookie year. I focused on shooting % from distance.

He looks like he's on the same path as he was his 2nd year. Similar role. Similar stats.

He's shooting the ball with confidence from three this year. That's an obvious area he's improved in.

Made me think, what does he need to do to get his game to the next level. Pretty obvious again...his shooting from 3 feet and in. His FG% from that range is 57.2% this year. Compare that to a guy like Dragic who shoots it at 66% for his career. Consider that Justise attempts 66% of his shots from that range! How would his stat performance be effected if he could be as efficient as Dragic from that distance?

He attempts 11.3 attempts from the field. 66.1% of those from 0-3 feet is ~7.5 attempts a game. Improve his 57.2% shooting to 66% and you get an extra 1.335 points per game. He'd be a 14 PPG scorer.

How would that increase in efficiency improve his overall efficiency from the field? Multiply 7.5 attempts by .66 instead of .572 and you get an increase in makes of .67 per game. Add that to his actual makes of 4.9 and you get 5.57 makes per game in 11.3 attempts. He'd jump to a 49.3% shooter!!!

Add in some enhanced ability to draw FTs and you've got a much more skilled offensive player. Just some food for thought.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,455

Post#365 » by Bishop45 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:38 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I was comparing Justise's stats on bkref to see how he's really progressed since his rookie year. I focused on shooting % from distance.

He looks like he's on the same path as he was his 2nd year. Similar role. Similar stats.

He's shooting the ball with confidence from three this year. That's an obvious area he's improved in.

Made me think, what does he need to do to get his game to the next level. Pretty obvious again...his shooting from 3 feet and in. His FG% from that range is 57.2% this year. Compare that to a guy like Dragic who shoots it at 66% for his career. Consider that Justise attempts 66% of his shots from that range! How would his stat performance be effected if he could be as efficient as Dragic from that distance?

He attempts 11.3 attempts from the field. 66.1% of those from 0-3 feet is ~7.5 attempts a game. Improve his 57.2% shooting to 66% and you get an extra 1.335 points per game. He'd be a 14 PPG scorer.

How would that increase in efficiency improve his overall efficiency from the field? Multiply 7.5 attempts by .66 instead of .572 and you get an increase in makes of .67 per game. Add that to his actual makes of 4.9 and you get 5.57 makes per game in 11.3 attempts. He'd jump to a 49.3% shooter!!!

Add in some enhanced ability to draw FTs and you've got a much more skilled offensive player. Just some food for thought.

Yea', think I remember reading few months back when the whole Winslow-Waiters backcourt started, and he said he was different from Waiters cause he doesn't or couldn't dribble the air out of a ball and I thought at that moment; man, what type of player would Winslow be if he could control his dribble on that level, change speeds and control the pace like CP/Harden, etc.

Would really help him in creating shots for himself and getting to the line
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#366 » by twix2500 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:57 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I was comparing Justise's stats on bkref to see how he's really progressed since his rookie year. I focused on shooting % from distance.

You are right about his free throws. 2 areas that you can identify an elite player, Free Throw Attempts (FTA) and Fastbreak points (FBPS). As you said Winslow does need to improve his percentage at the line as well as getting to the line. He also needs to improve at getting into fastbreak opportunities and scoring in the open court. When he does score well, that is one area you see increases.

Dragic at his peak offensively, was scoring 5 FBPS with 50% FG%. Lets look at another comparable player, Victor Oladipo when his game exploded he started scoring 4.3 FBPS. Winslow is averaging only 1.5 FBPS this year. Being aggressive in the open court will also allow him to draw fouls and get to the free throw line. Dragic and Oladipo FTAs at their peak were 5 a game. Winslow FTAs this year is 2.2 a game. Winslow halfcourt game has gotten pretty good, its his full court game that he needs to improve at. If he can put up similar numbers in the fullcourt as Oladipo and Dragic, he can be an efficient 19 or 20 point scorer.

--------------------------------------------------
Justise WInslow 2018-19
FBPS - 1.5
FTA - 2.2

Comparable Players
Goran Dragic
FBPS - 5.5
FTA - 5.5

Victor Oladipo
FBPS - 4.3
FTA - 5

Now lets look at some elite players FBPS and FTAs.

Dwyane Wade
FBPS -5.5
FTA - 10.5

Russell Westbrook
FBPS - 8
FTA - 10
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by DayofMourning » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 pm

twix2500 wrote:

You are right about his free throws. 2 areas that you can identify an elite player, Free Throw Attempts (FTA) and Fastbreak points (FBPS). As you said Winslow does need to improve his percentage at the line as well as getting to the line. He also needs to improve at getting into fastbreak opportunities and scoring in the open court. When he does score well, that is one area you see increases.

Dragic at his peak offensively, was scoring 5 FBPS with 50% FG%. Lets look at another comparable player, Victor Oladipo when his game exploded he started scoring 4.3 FBPS. Winslow is averaging only 1.5 FBPS this year. Being aggressive in the open court will also allow him to draw fouls and get to the free throw line. Dragic and Oladipo FTAs at their peak were 5 a game. Winslow FTAs this year is 2.2 a game. Winslow halfcourt game has gotten pretty good, its his full court game that he needs to improve at. If he can put up similar numbers in the fullcourt as Oladipo and Dragic, he can be an efficient 19 or 20 point scorer.

Justise WInslow 2018-19
FBPS - 1.5
FTA - 2.2

Comparable Players
Goran Dragic
FBPS - 5.5
FTA - 5.5

Victor Oladipo
FBPS - 4.3
FTA - 5

Now lets look at some elite players FBPS and FTAs.

Dwyane Wade
FBPS -5.5
FTA - 10.5

Russell Westbrook
FBPS - 8
FTA - 10

Good stuff, Twix. If he could double his FTA and increase his BRO, he'd probably get into a rhythm quicker. Make the game easier.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#368 » by DayofMourning » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Bishop45 wrote:

Yea', think I remember reading few months back when the whole Winslow-Waiters backcourt started, and he said he was different from Waiters cause he doesn't or couldn't dribble the air out of a ball and I thought at that moment; man, what type of player would Winslow be if he could control his dribble on that level, change speeds and control the pace like CP/Harden, etc.

Would really help him in creating shots for himself and getting to the line

Ball control is so important. Having the confidence to do what you have to when you need to stems from high quality ball control.

Return to Miami Heat