ImageImageImage

Miami Heat 2016-2017 Regular Season Thread - Sleep On Us

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Re: Miami Heat 2016-2017 Regular Season Thread - Sleep On Us 

Post#801 » by KingDavid » Wed Apr 5, 2017 4:12 pm

Bourne85 wrote:Looking at our remaining schedule, it's very likely we miss the playoffs. At that point I ask what was the point of this season? All our last games are against playoff teams and teams fighting with us for the 8th seed. And one is vs the Cavs which most likely will play their guys as they don't have the 1 seed.

Could of had a top 5 pick in a great draft. Now we get a meh of a pick and likely no playoffs.

Now we got Whiteside paid, Tyler paid, now James Johnson and Dion will get paid by us or thanks to us. This some sort of charity we running?

If Waiters is our starting 2guard for over 10mil next year then I'm gonna give up on the Heat til Riley is gone. Remarkable how fast this all fell on his face.

Like you said in the Dion thread, you haven't been watching. If you can't be down if and when the going gets bad, you're a fair-weathering front runner. Still wearing that Curry jersey?

Top 5 pick? How? Tell us how you tell the competitors you put on the floor to suck. The teams that are the bottom 5 are there because they have too many young, underdeveloped, and/or bad players on their teams. Are you suggesting that we trade away our good players for bad players and draft picks so we can tank for a chance at the right guy? Then what? Because once you get your guy, you don't instantly go to the playoffs, you have to climb your way there. So that means we still owe phx 2 first rounders. So instead of drafting more skilled young players to help with the initial lottery pick, we have to ship them to Phoenix. We don't have the assets we want if tanking is the direction.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Seabass777
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,723

Post#802 » by Seabass777 » Wed Apr 5, 2017 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol:
"Til the last second...Til the last man... We Fight! We Fight! We Fight!"-Together We Rise. #HEATLifer...
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Re: RE: Re: Miami Heat 2016-2017 Regular Season Thread - Sleep On Us 

Post#803 » by Hallstar » Wed Apr 5, 2017 9:49 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:Looking at our remaining schedule, it's very likely we miss the playoffs. At that point I ask what was the point of this season? All our last games are against playoff teams and teams fighting with us for the 8th seed. And one is vs the Cavs which most likely will play their guys as they don't have the 1 seed.

Could of had a top 5 pick in a great draft. Now we get a meh of a pick and likely no playoffs.

Now we got Whiteside paid, Tyler paid, now James Johnson and Dion will get paid by us or thanks to us. This some sort of charity we running?

If Waiters is our starting 2guard for over 10mil next year then I'm gonna give up on the Heat til Riley is gone. Remarkable how fast this all fell on his face.

Like you said in the Dion thread, you haven't been watching. If you can't be down if and when the going gets bad, you're a fair-weathering front runner. Still wearing that Curry jersey?

Top 5 pick? How? Tell us how you tell the competitors you put on the floor to suck. The teams that are the bottom 5 are there because they have too many young, underdeveloped, and/or bad players on their teams. Are you suggesting that we trade away our good players for bad players and draft picks so we can tank for a chance at the right guy? Then what? Because once you get your guy, you don't instantly go to the playoffs, you have to climb your way there. So that means we still owe phx 2 first rounders. So instead of drafting more skilled young players to help with the initial lottery pick, we have to ship them to Phoenix. We don't have the assets we want if tanking is the direction.

Uh that's why I said tank in this deep draft. Who are these good players we have? We have a solid supporting cast with nobody to support. That's not the type of team you hitch your future to. That's the type of team that you hover around .500 for a couple years sometimes playoffs, sometimes not. Then the players get old and you bottom out right on schedule to give Phoenix a lottery pick while you still haven't found a player worth building around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#804 » by KingDavid » Thu Apr 6, 2017 1:44 am

Hallstar wrote:
KingDavid wrote:

Uh that's why I said tank in this deep draft. Who are these good players we have? We have a solid supporting cast with nobody to support. That's not the type of team you hitch your future to. That's the type of team that you hover around .500 for a couple years sometimes playoffs, sometimes not. Then the players get old and you bottom out right on schedule to give Phoenix a lottery pick while you still haven't found a player worth building around.

I didn't quote you, Hallstar. I'm all for tanking. I think I want Fultz more than anyone here. But that was before the team buttoned up their chemistry and identity. So you blow up the treadmill team and instead of building towards a star coming here or trading for one, we have to nasically get rid of any talent we have or else we won't be bad enough to tank. I don't think that's a good idea. If this team as constructed, sucked enough to tank, so be it. But to force it could be worse...
#HEATLifer

Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#805 » by Hallstar » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:23 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
KingDavid wrote:Like you said in the Dion thread, you haven't been watching. If you can't be down if and when the going gets bad, you're a fair-weathering front runner. Still wearing that Curry jersey?

I didn't quote you, Hallstar. I'm all for tanking. I think I want Fultz more than anyone here. But that was before the team buttoned up their chemistry and identity. So you blow up the treadmill team and instead of building towards a star coming here or trading for one, we have to nasically get rid of any talent we have or else we won't be bad enough to tank. I don't think that's a good idea. If this team as constructed, sucked enough to tank, so be it. But to force it could be worse...

I get it, but maybe I bought into the "winning and misery" mindset. Because the worst faith for me is going into every season on some will they won't they about the playoffs until they finally bottom out.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#806 » by KingDavid » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:40 pm

Hallstar wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
Hallstar wrote:Uh that's why I said tank in this deep draft. Who are these good players we have? We have a solid supporting cast with nobody to support. That's not the type of team you hitch your future to. That's the type of team that you hover around .500 for a couple years sometimes playoffs, sometimes not. Then the players get old and you bottom out right on schedule to give Phoenix a lottery pick while you still haven't found a player worth building around.

I get it, but maybe I bought into the "winning and misery" mindset. Because the worst faith for me is going into every season on some will they won't they about the playoffs until they finally bottom out.

It's going be that way until we sign or draft a star player unfortunately. However, this team as constructed and healthy is a top 4 team in the East. If we had a star at sf, fml.
#HEATLifer

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Post#807 » by DayofMourning » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Significant stat of the season:

Miami is 26th out of 30 teams in FTA per game.

Compounding that poor FT draw rate is being 30th out of 30 in FT percentage....
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#808 » by JaysRule15 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Significant stat of the season:

That could work out in the Heat's favor if they make the playoffs. Refs swallow their whistles a lot more often during playoffs, so a FT-reliant team struggles more than a team that doesn't rely on FTs for a big chunk of offense. It's the reason why a guy like DeRozan has struggled in the playoffs.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#809 » by DayofMourning » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:

That could work out in the Heat's favor if they make the playoffs. Refs swallow their whistles a lot more often during playoffs, so a FT-reliant team struggles more than a team that doesn't rely on FTs for a big chunk of offense. It's the reason why a guy like DeRozan has struggled in the playoffs.

Good point. Hope it works in our favor.
HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,694

Post#810 » by HEATVols865 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Whiteside/Johnson/Hayward/Richardson/Dragic

Reed/Babbitt/Winslow/McRuder/TJ

That's a good team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#811 » by Mars » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
GUTS™
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#812 » by KingDavid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:31 pm

This is one of the key reasons why we have no chance to win a series if we even make the playoffs.

We also need to fire our free throw coaches to hell.
#HEATLifer

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#813 » by KingDavid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:34 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:

I don't agree. There's a lot of close games that come down to free throws in the playoffs.
#HEATLifer

JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#814 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:35 pm

KingDavid wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:

I don't agree. There's a lot of close games that come down to free throws in the playoffs.

That's true as well. Of course, in a close game, the ability to draw a foul and shoot free throws is valuable as well. I'm just saying that not being an overly reliant team on FTs could have its advantages.
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,963

Post#815 » by dshearn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 am

KingDavid wrote:

Just to piggy back on this, add in the COY whispers spo got this year... that has value. You want to draft and keep super stars you have to at some point build around them.... The Miami will fight for every possession and does not take games off narrative is strong, it will help attract and keep players. This franchise does not throw games let alone entire seasons is a valuable reputation to build and maintain.

Mia will not always have "The Don" to lay his rings on the table, at some point you need to replace that identity with something else that says we mean bussiness take us seriously. One way to get that is by not having Spo throw entire seasons away to loose only for loosing sake. Before you know it Pop retires and the Media starts talking about Spo as the most winningest coach with his franchise, and stability plus a we win now mentality will have people talking about Spo as one of the best coaches in the game.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#816 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:45 am

Transitioning into the offseason. Continue your conversations here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1551043

Return to Miami Heat