ImageImageImage

Bumpy Thread (Tyler Johnson)

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Re: Bumpy Thread (Tyler Johnson) 

Post#21 » by goodboy » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:17 am

The king of bumps (no pun)
Bright
SCHeat
Pro Prospect
And1: 676

Post#22 » by SCHeat » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:10 pm

gom wrote:Resurrecting this thread to remind those of you who don't watch Heat games how good Tyler Johnson is:

That should get you started.

Tyler is on a 4/50 contract, playing for a little less than Waiters just signed. It's set up with a poison pill so the last two seasons are $19M each. The Heat and TJ can renegotiate the contract in July 2019 (after the third year) for more years for a higher value, so the $19M cap hit should only be one year. I'm not really sure that it's excessive anyhow. TJ was often our best closer, played nearly every fourth quarter minute, and fights every moment on the court. You guys that want to trade him (some of whom are otherwise intelligent realgm posters) are wrong here. I agree with Mickey. We have to keep this guy.

I don't think renegotiating it is going to help us that much in 2019. It's not as if he's going to want to go down to 10/per. We could probably get him to do something like 3 years/48 but that's not much relief. To me, this looks like an albatross hanging over the organization for the next two summers.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,563

Post#23 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:36 pm

If he shows off even a slight upgrade in PPG, APG with a low TOV with the same USG rate and minutes from last year, he could become really good trade commodity next year.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,191

Post#24 » by TroubleS0me » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:42 am

i hate his shot release in 2k17...
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#25 » by gom » Sat Jul 8, 2017 2:57 pm

SCHeat wrote:
gom wrote:Resurrecting this thread to remind those of you who don't watch Heat games how good Tyler Johnson is:

That should get you started.

Tyler is on a 4/50 contract, playing for a little less than Waiters just signed. It's set up with a poison pill so the last two seasons are $19M each. The Heat and TJ can renegotiate the contract in July 2019 (after the third year) for more years for a higher value, so the $19M cap hit should only be one year. I'm not really sure that it's excessive anyhow. TJ was often our best closer, played nearly every fourth quarter minute, and fights every moment on the court. You guys that want to trade him (some of whom are otherwise intelligent realgm posters) are wrong here. I agree with Mickey. We have to keep this guy.

I don't think renegotiating it is going to help us that much in 2019. It's not as if he's going to want to go down to 10/per. We could probably get him to do something like 3 years/48 but that's not much relief. To me, this looks like an albatross hanging over the organization for the next two summers.

10/per would be ridiculously low for a 25 min, 6th man, moderate offensive usage, player of his level of defensive efficiency. His salary of 19 for the last two years is high, but it's not that high when you compare to other players of similar quality. Tyler should probably be on 15 or 16 per, not 10. That's pre-inflation numbers and unrealistic. The new CBA will take time to cause its effects. We had a cap increase first which caused about 15% of the salaries to be recalibrated (free agency last year.) Now the exceptions are changing, along with veteran and rookie scale contracts. Also, the free agents now have renegotiated (almost all higher.) After next summer we will have another fourth of the league recalibrated. Tyler's contract (like Dragic's before) will conform even with the bubble at the end. There is no reason to trade him for $3M per year that he may be overpaid AFTER getting 4 seasons at hefty discounts.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#26 » by Zasterror » Sat Jul 8, 2017 4:22 pm

He was one of the most consistent players on the Heat last year; very rarely he had "bad" games. Always played with effort and guts, a damn good shooter (one of the few where I feel confident every time he shot the ball), pesky defender, and a high-flyer. My only fear is that he reminds me of Young Wade whenever he goes to the paint where it would be a great finish and/or terrible fall.
gom

Post#27 » by gom » Sat Dec 9, 2017 1:32 am

Bumping the bumpy thread.

Can we please have 10 more games like this? Please show the Nets what they're missing. :-)
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,432

Post#28 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

gom wrote:Bumping the bumpy thread.

Can we please have 10 more games like this? Please show the Nets what they're missing. :-)

9 to go.

I ain't worried about TJ, I trust his IQ and shot.

He's the kind of player that should always get the green light, he won't take bad shots and he'll usually make the good shots. Yes he's somewhat overpaid but people Griping about it are underrating his contributing to winning.

Spo should give all the confidence in the world, aggressive bumpy = good bumpy.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#29 » by Joel Embust » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 pm

gom wrote:

Smoked them with 20 points on 73% shooting.

Followed that up with 14/5/1 on 50% shooting with 4 treys and 2 blocks.

Dude's on FIRE.
gom

Post#30 » by gom » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:57 am

TJ at 38.7% from the 3 now. Goran is now 38.2%. Richardson 32.6%, Winslow 39%, Olynyk 42.1%, and Ellington 43.3%.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#31 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 am

gom wrote:TJ at 38.7% from the 3 now. Goran is now 38.2%. Richardson 32.6%, Winslow 39%, Olynyk 42.1%, and Ellington 43.3%.

I think overall the team is starting to become more comfortable together. I haven't given Tyler much slack simply because of his contract, but I don't think the Heat would have won tonight without him.
OP for NBA FT record
gom

Post#32 » by gom » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:
gom wrote:TJ at 38.7% from the 3 now. Goran is now 38.2%. Richardson 32.6%, Winslow 39%, Olynyk 42.1%, and Ellington 43.3%.

I think overall the team is starting to become more comfortable together. I haven't given Tyler much slack simply because of his contract, but I don't think the Heat would have won tonight without him.

Tyler's average over the 4 years is $12.5M per annum, good money, but not outrageous. He's not responsible for Brooklyn's offer or our matching it. All he can do is work hard and make the best of it for all involved, right?

If we can get under the salary cap next season, we can renegotiate Tyler's final year. Something like 4/50 again but restructured.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

1. Existing contracts can only be negotiated in the 3rd year.
2. The maximum decrease is 40%. Thus it can start at $11.6M, 2nd year $12.2, 3rd year $12.8, 4th year $13.4.

So Tyler (5/7/92) would have made $6.5 (25), $6.5 (26), $19.2 (27), $11.6 (28), $12.2 (29), $12.8 (30), and 13.4 (31) during his prime. I think that's pretty inexpensive and don't see him doing it. Consider it a lower limit, but he can do this with any team, so he immediately becomes more easily exchanged afterward he signs a new deal. It gives him $30M more dollars guaranteed. I can't see him making that much more unless he really develops as a star.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#33 » by contract » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:31 am

gom wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:

Tyler's average over the 4 years is $12.5M per annum, good money, but not outrageous. He's not responsible for Brooklyn's offer or our matching it. All he can do is work hard and make the best of it for all involved, right?

If we can get under the salary cap next season, we can renegotiate Tyler's final year. Something like 4/50 again but restructured.

2. The maximum decrease is 40%. Thus it can start at $11.6M, 2nd year $12.2, 3rd year $12.8, 4th year $13.4.

So Tyler (5/7/92) would have made $6.5 (25), $6.5 (26), $19.2 (27), $11.6 (28), $12.2 (29), $12.8 (30), and 13.4 (31) during his prime. I think that's pretty inexpensive and don't see him doing it. Consider it a lower limit, but he can do this with any team, so he immediately becomes more easily exchanged afterward he signs a new deal. It gives him $30M more dollars guaranteed. I can't see him making that much more unless he really develops as a star.

Before we think about reinvesting big money on a bench player, we need to clear out the other bloated contracts we've given to bench caliber players (JJ, Dion, and Olynick), otherwise we're going to suck forever. We can't spend 1/2 our cap on bench players and expect to get better. We have too many 6/7/8 guys earning starter money.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#34 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 pm

gom wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:

Gom we need to remember Tyler is completely responsible here. The Heat where begging him to take the same deal but spread out at 12.5 and he wisely said no. Now its very difficult to trade him which is exactly what he wanted, security and to know he will be staying in Miami for the duration of his contract. Tyler had complete control here and this is what he picked, we should not forget that.

Also looking at it math wise it makes no sense to give up his last year, im sure Tyler can get a 13+ mil deal even more if teams start bidding so 19+ 13+13+13 is basically a 4/60 and that's being low on the numbers, say he get 15 mil, 19+ 15+15+15 is a 4/64 deal, a 4/50 makes no sense if you are Tyler or his agent.
gom

Post#35 » by gom » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Once Brooklyn made the offer, we only had the right of first refusal. It was on us to make the offer before he received the Brooklyn proposal.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42

cbafaq wrote:When a restricted free agent wants to sign with another team, the player and team sign an offer sheet, the principal terms of which the original team is given two days to match.4 The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years), and a standard NBA contract (not a Two-Way contract). If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years). If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within two days (by issuing a First Refusal Exercise Notice), the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet (but not the non-principal terms). If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within two days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the player is deemed to be under contract with the new team.
term
The principals of an offer sheet consist of the following. Any other terms of an offer are not considered to be principal terms, and the player's original team is not required to match:

*****> The number of years, including option years.
*****> The base salary
The amount of any signing bonus or deferred compensation, including the payment schedule
Certain bonuses -- those considered to be "likely" for both teams (see question number 74), and those based on generally recognized league honors
Any allowable amendments such as guarantees, options and trade bonuses

Once TJ had the Brooklyn offer, we needed to match the terms of the deal.

Here are the Shooting Guards in the league. TJ's salary is low this season but it's about to climb to 19.2M, just less than Jimmie Butler's:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/cap-hit/shooting-guard/

Even at $13M, though, I don't see any bench players making those $$$, nor teams lining up to sign him at 3/36. If the Heat of 4/55 instead of paying $19 in the last year, it's a good deal for him.

Also: "19+ 15+15+15 is a 4/64 deal" is illegal.

The raise limit also applies to salary decreases -- for example, since the Larry Bird exception limits raises to 8% of the first-year salary, the salary may also decrease by up to 8% of the first-year salary.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q53
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#36 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:34 pm

gom wrote:Once Brooklyn made the offer, we only had the right of first refusal. It was on us to make the offer before he received the Brooklyn proposal.

cbafaq wrote:When a restricted free agent wants to sign with another team, the player and team sign an offer sheet, the principal terms of which the original team is given two days to match.4 The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years), and a standard NBA contract (not a Two-Way contract). If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years). If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within two days (by issuing a First Refusal Exercise Notice), the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet (but not the non-principal terms). If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within two days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the player is deemed to be under contract with the new team.
term
The principals of an offer sheet consist of the following. Any other terms of an offer are not considered to be principal terms, and the player's original team is not required to match:

*****> The base salary
The amount of any signing bonus or deferred compensation, including the payment schedule
Certain bonuses -- those considered to be "likely" for both teams (see question number 74), and those based on generally recognized league honors

We wanted him to back out of the deal to take the same deal but with the money spread out. Thats when Tyler said he had given his word, remember nothing bad would happen to Tyler for backing out and taking the more Heat friendly deal, he choose not too. Remember Pat in the yearly address even mention Tyler and his "word". The deal in itself is not bad, its that now we have to pay up for the last two seasons.
gom

Post#37 » by gom » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
gom wrote:Once Brooklyn made the offer, we only had the right of first refusal. It was on us to make the offer before he received the Brooklyn proposal.

term

*****> The base salary

We wanted him to back out of the deal to take the same deal but with the money spread out. Thats when Tyler said he had given his word, remember nothing bad would happen to Tyler for backing out and taking the more Heat friendly deal, he choose not too. Remember Pat in the yearly address even mention Tyler and his "word". The deal in itself is not bad, its that now we have to pay up for the last two seasons.

I suppose he could refuse to report for his Nets physical but, of course, that would be negotiating in bad faith. I doubt if his agent would be much pleased. On the other hand, Miami could have avoided the problem entirely by making a 4/50 contract in the first place. We were still dilly-dallying with Durant and Wade though.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#38 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm

contract wrote:Before we think about reinvesting big money on a bench player, we need to clear out the other bloated contracts we've given to bench caliber players (JJ, Dion, and Olynick), otherwise we're going to suck forever. We can't spend 1/2 our cap on bench players and expect to get better. We have too many 6/7/8 guys earning starter money.

Is discussing contracts your favorite thing to do on here contract?
OP for NBA FT record
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#39 » by contract » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:01 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:
contract wrote:Before we think about reinvesting big money on a bench player, we need to clear out the other bloated contracts we've given to bench caliber players (JJ, Dion, and Olynick), otherwise we're going to suck forever. We can't spend 1/2 our cap on bench players and expect to get better. We have too many 6/7/8 guys earning starter money.

Is discussing contracts your favorite thing to do on here contract?

Not really. Mostly I come here to bitch. This is my outlet.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,432

Post#40 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Bumpy starting get back to himself, in December he's averaging 14.4 points in 30 minutes a game on 66.2% TS.

I love TJ.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs

Return to Miami Heat