ImageImageImage

Spo is the man.

Moderators: DayofMourning, QUIZ, IggieCC, heat4life, BFRESH44

contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#61 » by contract » Sun May 21, 2017 5:26 pm

shanedude wrote:
contract wrote:
HIF wrote:
Their meh is a couple of levels better than our meh. :D

I disagree with that.


I also disagree with that. Our Season was ravaged by injuries.

I don't agree with that either. First of all we signed up to an automatic 82 missed games when we decided to keep Bosh on the roster but not let him play. Pretty much the same goes for McDud. We knew exactly what we had and that is what we chose to do with our roster. The Winslow injury was a blessing on the court. It opened up our offense. That fun team that everyone enjoyed the 2nd half of the season never happens if Winslow doesn't go down.
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
HIF
RealGM
Posts: 11,888
And1: 3,852
Joined: Mar 31, 2004
Location: France
         

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#62 » by HIF » Sun May 21, 2017 5:29 pm

meh
No more talk about Family Riles. Just do you job! :noway:

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#63 » by Mars » Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 pm

contract wrote:...The Winslow injury was a blessing on the court. It opened up our offense. That fun team that everyone enjoyed the 2nd half of the season never happens if Winslow doesn't go down.

So we're in agreement that Spo's masterful adjustments on the fly and remarkable, Top 3 Finalist, coaching expertise turned what was easily a lost season into a historic second half finish. I see you, brother... I see you.
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#64 » by contract » Sun May 21, 2017 10:41 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#65 » by Mars » Sun May 21, 2017 10:58 pm

contract wrote:No, I'm saying that circumstances saved him from himself.

Dion returning from the groin injury and Spo giving the keys to him and Goran to form one of the most dynamic backcourts in the league?
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#66 » by contract » Sun May 21, 2017 11:26 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#67 » by Mars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:08 pm

contract wrote:That was good. So was turning the ball over to JJ with the 2nd unit. But do you doubt for one second that absent injury, Winslow starts and plays 30+ minutes in all 82 games?

The offense and defense both improved in the 2nd half of the season without Winslow...

Absent injury, Justise would have been more productive and your question regarding Spo's management of his playing time would be moot.

Justise played the majority of his 18 games with some combination of shoulder and wrist injuries. That can't be glossed over. His play suffered dramatically as a result; his defense in particular.

Dion missed 20 games between Nov 28 and Jan 3 with a groin injury. That significantly impacted the team's play during the first half of the season.

It's no surprise the team was infinitely better once Dion returned fully healthy after Spo put the ball in his and Goran's hands. Spo adjusted, turned them into one of the most lethal drive-and-kick offenses in the league and the team took off heading into All-Star break.

Lastly, pointing to Justise as the main reason behind the team's struggles during the first half of the season simply isn't factual.

First 41 games played:

• HEAT was 4-14 with Justise (10 games under .500)

• HEAT was 7-16 without Justise (9 games under .500)
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#68 » by contract » Mon May 22, 2017 3:13 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#69 » by contract » Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#70 » by Mars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm

contract wrote:
Mars wrote:Absent injury, Justise would have been more productive and your question regarding Spo's management of his playing time would be moot.

Not to dismiss your entire post but there's no evidence of that.

How many healthy NBA players in recent memory have been less productive than they were with serious injuries that caused them to miss 68 games. It's just common sense.
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#71 » by Mars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 pm

contract wrote:
Mars wrote:Dion missed 20 games between Nov 28 and Jan 3 with a groin injury. That significantly impacted the team's play during the first half of the season.

It's no surprise the team was infinitely better once Dion returned fully healthy after Spo put the ball in his and Goran's hands. Spo adjusted, turned them into one of the most lethal drive-and-kick offenses in the league and the team took off heading into All-Star break.

OK, but here's the thing ... the same can't be said about Winslow's absence. His absence didn't hurt the team at all. In fact we were better on offense AND defense without him.

Not saying it's his fault, just that the pieces remaining fit better together.

Of course they were better without. His shoulder and wrist were injured. He had to have shoulder surgery. Fully operational shoulders are helpful for professional athletes.

The moment a healthy Justise steps back on the court in training camp he instantly becomes the team's best perimeter defender again. No different than it was his rookie season at 19 years old.
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#72 » by contract » Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#73 » by Mars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm

contract wrote:There's no evidence that Winslow was affected on the court. He was bad, but that was no surprise. He went from being an afterthought to having a major role in the offense. He wasn't ready. There's no guarantee that he won't be just as bad next year.

So a torn labrum that requires surgery isn't going to affect someone's performance?

We're done.
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#74 » by contract » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#75 » by Mars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm

contract wrote:Our medical team felt he was healthy enough to play.

Until they felt he wasn't. Then they put him under the knife.

We can officially bring an end to our back and forth... you win.
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
contract
Head Coach
Posts: 6,990
And1: 8,170
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: on your last nerve
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#76 » by contract » Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm

:meditate:
:gossip: :gossip: :argue: :gossip: :gossip:
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 6,048
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#77 » by Mars » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 pm

contract wrote:Until he got injured, at which point they shut him down for the season.

Image

Lest you forget, Justise sat due to an injured wrist on his shooting hand 9 games into the season and went on to miss the next 16 consecutive games as a result.

I'm sure it had no impact on his play and was just an intricate cover story planted by Riley and Spo to hide the fact that he's bad at basketball...

Justise Winslow sidelined indefinitely by nagging wrist injury

ESPN.com
November 15, 2016

Miami Heat starting small forward Justise Winslow is out indefinitely with a persistent left wrist injury.

Winslow said he injured the wrist a few weeks ago in a fall during a game and that X-rays were negative.

Link


...this will be my last post refuting these points.

Done.

Fini.

Finito.

Terminado.

You win.
“If you only knew the power of the Whiteside...” © Darth Vader
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 15,091
And1: 36,559
Joined: Apr 22, 2015

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#78 » by Bishop45 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

Mars wrote:
contract wrote:That was good. So was turning the ball over to JJ with the 2nd unit. But do you doubt for one second that absent injury, Winslow starts and plays 30+ minutes in all 82 games?

The offense and defense both improved in the 2nd half of the season without Winslow...

Absent injury, Justise would have been more productive and your question regarding Spo's management of his playing time would be moot.

Justise played the majority of his 18 games with some combination of shoulder and wrist injuries. That can't be glossed over. His play suffered dramatically as a result; his defense in particular.

Dion missed 20 games between Nov 28 and Jan 3 with a groin injury. That significantly impacted the team's play during the first half of the season.

It's no surprise the team was infinitely better once Dion returned fully healthy after Spo put the ball in his and Goran's hands. Spo adjusted, turned them into one of the most lethal drive-and-kick offenses in the league and the team took off heading into All-Star break.

Lastly, pointing to Justise as the main reason behind the team's struggles during the first half of the season simply isn't factual.

First 41 games played:

• HEAT was 4-14 with Justise (10 games under .500)

• HEAT was 7-16 without Justise (9 games under .500)


Can't wait to see these guys with a healthy Winslow, hope we can get one other solid addition to him and draft pick
User avatar
Flash4thewin
General Manager
Posts: 7,766
And1: 1,819
Joined: Jan 27, 2006

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#79 » by Flash4thewin » Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:36 pm

HIF wrote:It's nice to see everyone finally acknowledging just what a good coach Spo is.


That Spoelstra should be considered an incentive to play in Miami was made clear during conversations with multiple players in the final two months of the season.

When I asked James Johnson why he said this has been the most enjoyable experience of his career, he said: “Just the consistency you see from the coach. I've never had that before ever. When you have consistency like that, it makes it easier to play for him, it makes it easier to want to win for him and makes it easier to build trust level.

“When I say consistency, I [mean] it's doing the same thing, not giving you the same minutes every game, but consistently getting on you enough, praising you a little bit, holding me to my word. When you get a consistent coach you look up to like coach Spo, it makes things easier.”

Forward Okaro White offered this, unsolicited: “Coach Spo, he wants to give you confidence. If he sees you lagging a little bit of confidence, the thing with him is ‘take a deep breath, be you. It's fine when you be you.’ He has the trust in me that I will always give my best, always play hard. One of the games, I think it was Toronto, I was a little down on myself. He's like: 'Relax.' I said, 'I'm not helping the team.' He said 'every time you step on the court, you play your hardest. That's all we can ask for.’

“He brought me down and gave me a confidence boost. He's a great coach for so many things and I didn't understand until I was here and was able to see it.”

And Ellington, late in the season, offered this response to a question in which Spoelstra wasn’t even mentioned: “Coach Spo -- that's what keeps my engine going. He's been great since the beginning. From when I first stepped on the court, he looked at me and said, 'I want you to get up as many threes as you can.' You hear that and you're like, ‘Oh. All right.’ Let me find my spots where I can get them at, some good looks.’ I'm not going to go out and fire a bunch of bad shots….

“Teams emphasize winning but it's a little different here. It's the standard. It's the culture. It's the lifestyle. You've got winning organizations and you have losing organizations. This is a winning organization that breeds champions and competitors.”


Spo is like a double edge sword. Yes he as improved and is a good head coach today but one cant help but question the price we paid for this to happen.

I like Spo so this is in no way bashing him but man we as an organization blew it in the Big Three era. I personally feel if we had Pat coaching them we win the Dallas Finals and everything changes. Respect is earned not given and Pat has that all around the league. Pat as a head coach has more face time and actual interaction with the Big Three. Pat doesnt dare show up with McRobert and Granger as reason to resign Lebron. Pat see first hand what is need since he is the coach and makes the moves. Spo is a good coach today but i wonder especially now in the Era of the Warrior how many people here would at a snap of a finger replace him if it ment we had a better change of winning more back then. Again this is not an attack on Spo, he did mature before our eyes but one does not give a 16 year old the keys to a sports car. One just needs to look at the Warriors with Mark Jackson and with Kerr to see the importance of what a coach can get out of a team. Again not an attack on Spo, with that said Spo is now a very good coach and got everyone this year to buy into his system.
User avatar
UD4MVP
Veteran
Posts: 2,925
And1: 3,005
Joined: Jul 18, 2014
 

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#80 » by UD4MVP » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:29 am

Flash4thewin wrote:
HIF wrote:It's nice to see everyone finally acknowledging just what a good coach Spo is.


That Spoelstra should be considered an incentive to play in Miami was made clear during conversations with multiple players in the final two months of the season.

When I asked James Johnson why he said this has been the most enjoyable experience of his career, he said: “Just the consistency you see from the coach. I've never had that before ever. When you have consistency like that, it makes it easier to play for him, it makes it easier to want to win for him and makes it easier to build trust level.

“When I say consistency, I [mean] it's doing the same thing, not giving you the same minutes every game, but consistently getting on you enough, praising you a little bit, holding me to my word. When you get a consistent coach you look up to like coach Spo, it makes things easier.”

Forward Okaro White offered this, unsolicited: “Coach Spo, he wants to give you confidence. If he sees you lagging a little bit of confidence, the thing with him is ‘take a deep breath, be you. It's fine when you be you.’ He has the trust in me that I will always give my best, always play hard. One of the games, I think it was Toronto, I was a little down on myself. He's like: 'Relax.' I said, 'I'm not helping the team.' He said 'every time you step on the court, you play your hardest. That's all we can ask for.’

“He brought me down and gave me a confidence boost. He's a great coach for so many things and I didn't understand until I was here and was able to see it.”

And Ellington, late in the season, offered this response to a question in which Spoelstra wasn’t even mentioned: “Coach Spo -- that's what keeps my engine going. He's been great since the beginning. From when I first stepped on the court, he looked at me and said, 'I want you to get up as many threes as you can.' You hear that and you're like, ‘Oh. All right.’ Let me find my spots where I can get them at, some good looks.’ I'm not going to go out and fire a bunch of bad shots….

“Teams emphasize winning but it's a little different here. It's the standard. It's the culture. It's the lifestyle. You've got winning organizations and you have losing organizations. This is a winning organization that breeds champions and competitors.”


Spo is like a double edge sword. Yes he as improved and is a good head coach today but one cant help but question the price we paid for this to happen.

I like Spo so this is in no way bashing him but man we as an organization blew it in the Big Three era. I personally feel if we had Pat coaching them we win the Dallas Finals and everything changes. Respect is earned not given and Pat has that all around the league. Pat as a head coach has more face time and actual interaction with the Big Three. Pat doesnt dare show up with McRobert and Granger as reason to resign Lebron. Pat see first hand what is need since he is the coach and makes the moves. Spo is a good coach today but i wonder especially now in the Era of the Warrior how many people here would at a snap of a finger replace him if it ment we had a better change of winning more back then. Again this is not an attack on Spo, he did mature before our eyes but one does not give a 16 year old the keys to a sports car. One just needs to look at the Warriors with Mark Jackson and with Kerr to see the importance of what a coach can get out of a team. Again not an attack on Spo, with that said Spo is now a very good coach and got everyone this year to buy into his system.

Lebron wouldn't post up JJ Barea
Image

Return to Miami Heat