ImageImageImage

Who to start at SG/SF?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Re: Who to start at SG/SF? 

Post#41 » by dancing2thabeet » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:28 pm

I agree with RJM, we could use a veteran PG off the bench in case of injuries. Alternatively, if we aren't comfortable with Hammons I would preffer a backup big (was banking on Reed until he signed with LAC), again in case of injuries. Having last season flashbacks :(

Dragic / TJ / vet pass first PG
Waiters / Rich / Ellington
Winslow / McGruder / Okaro
Olynyk / JJ / Haslem
Whiteside / Bam / Hammons

Doesn't look to shabby, especially at guard and wing spots ... but man, if Bam or AJ don't deliver that frountcourt has me a little shook.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#42 » by ndnow » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 am

dancing2thabeet wrote:I agree with RJM, we could use a veteran PG off the bench in case of injuries. Alternatively, if we aren't comfortable with Hammons I would preffer a backup big (was banking on Reed until he signed with LAC), again in case of injuries. Having last season flashbacks :(

Dragic / TJ / vet pass first PG
Waiters / Rich / Ellington
Winslow / McGruder / Okaro
Olynyk / JJ / Haslem
Whiteside / Bam / Hammons

Doesn't look to shabby, especially at guard and wing spots ... but man, if Bam or AJ don't deliver that frountcourt has me a little shook.

While I expect Olynyk to start beside Whiteside, I see Whiteside getting the early seat on the bench and having Olynyk play center while he sits. I see Spo merging the lineup so that Olynyk and Whiteside spend most of the time playing C.
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#43 » by dancing2thabeet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 am

Oh for sure, it's not going to be as linear as I wrote it here. We're going to see a lot of 3 guard lineups and I'm pretty sure some JJ at C and Winslow at PF.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#44 » by abark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 pm

dancing2thabeet wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
RJM wrote:Default:

PG: Goran Dragic
SG: Dion Waiters
SF: Justise Winslow
PF: James Johnson
C: Hassan Whiteside

It's Winslow's spot to lose, as well as Waiters. Richardson isn't reliable enough, in my opinion. He had some serious awareness and decision-making issues that hurt his chances last year. TJ looks to be the backup combo PG/SG next to Josh and Wayne/Rodney.

Olynkyk is going to start at power forward imo. Other than that, I agree with your lineup...

I agree. Not that I think Olynyk is better, but I feel like JJ's playmaking will be much more useful for the bench unit.

If Olynyk can play PF with Whiteside, then I don't mind bringing JJ off the bench. His playmaking ability makes him an ideal 6th man on a team without a true backup pg.

But I'm completely against it if it means JJ will only be playing 26 mpg again. In the last 5 games of the year, where JJ started, he averaged 18, 7, and 6. And I think that had a lot more to do with him playing 35 min than it did with him starting.

We need to start treating JJ like he is a top 3 player on this team (which he is), regardless of when he first enters the game.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#45 » by RJM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 am

He'll likely finish most games. That's all that matters.
igotthatheat
Ballboy
And1: 48

Post#46 » by igotthatheat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Waiters at SG obviosly..and Mcgruder at SF..he is not the most talented, but I like his fit around the starters. He really is the guard version UD
igotthatheat
Ballboy
And1: 48

Post#47 » by igotthatheat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:59 pm

G Dragic / TJ /
D Waiters / Rich / Ellington
Mcgruder / Winslow /
J Johnson / Olynyk / Okaro / Babbit
Whiteside / Bam / Haslem
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#48 » by HeatIn5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:45 am

I would also be okay starting

Dragic
Waiters
McGruder
Bam
Whiteside

As long as JJ is still at 32+. Bam can be around Babbitts 15-20.
Read on Twitter
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#49 » by Pure_Basketball » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:32 am

If Winslow's 3 point shooting can improve to 35% or higher he's the perfect starter. The problem is I don't think he can be. None the less I believe the starting lineup will be
Dragic / Waiters / Winslow / Olynyk / Whiteside
I hope the SLU wll be
Dragic / Waiters / Ellington / Johnson / Whiteside
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,934

Post#50 » by Wiltside » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 am

From 20% to 35% in one off-season is a big ask. I think if he can get to 32% or thereabouts, that's a solid enough win. I'm more interested in him lowering the 3pt attempts and using his drive and kick game to open up shots for our higher % shooters. Justise has a flaw, but he showed a lot of promise as a ball handler and point forward last season.

Ideally, lower that attempts to around 1.2 per game, get the % up to the low-mid 30's, and get his overall FG% up to the low 40's (incremental improvement).

We need Justise to become our mini-Dray.

Waiters is the obvious start at SG. We've paid him the big dollars, he's a good fit with Goran, and TJ plays better as an energy sub.

The real question is who starts at the 4. While JJ showed he deserves the gig, from a fit perspective I prefer to stagger JJ and Winslow so both get to have the ball in their hands. Olynyk is the more proven 3pt shooter, so I prefer to see him starting alongside Whiteside at the 4 to open games.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Darkstar
Junior
And1: 97

Post#51 » by Darkstar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:12 am

Does Winslow deserve to start , no. Might he anyway, possibly. Maybe he proves all of us doubters wrong but I don't like the idea of him starting. He's earned jack ****.

Return to Miami Heat